Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
24mm (Super35 equiv.) walkabout still + video lenses for MFT
  • I have searched this forum but not seen a good summary discussion on this very common length in any one place, so I wanted to consolidate some discussion. I hope it's not a bother starting a new topic, if it is I'll gladly move the conversation where it belongs.

I've been doing some research on available walkabout stills/video lens in the 24mm Super35 equivalent (~35mm FF equiv.) length.

On MFT this is of course either a 16-18mm or, with a speedbooster a 24mm (same as Super35).

I'm looking specifically at FAST glass (f/1.8 native or faster, specifically for DOF, so don't count the Speedbooster in that factor), with a great manual focus feel. I have a Nikon speedbooster but the Nikon 24mm f/1.4, besides focusing in the wrong direction, is frighteningly expensive.

I own the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and it is very excellent but it is HUGE. The weight isn't the problem but the sheer size - it's not subtle and it's not exactly a great "walkabout" lens. I'll be keeping it for cinema and rig use, but it's not really working for me as a day-carry lens.

So, my current shortlist is: Voigtlander 17,5mm f/0.95 SLR Magic 17mm T/1.6 Rokinon 24mm T/1.5

Right now, despite the cost, the Voigtlander would be my pick solely for the sharpness at f/1.4+ for still photos, but the SLR Magic is tempting for video due to the low cost - although I've heard rumours of build quality being iffy. Owners of both lenses are invited to comment, please!

The Rok/Samyang is interesting, but kind of large physically as well, and I'm not sure I'm sold on it's look for photos either. For cine use I have the Sigma anyway, which is more useful on a rig thanks to the ability to cover 18-35 in one setup.

I'd consider another speedbooster mount for a good vintage lens, if the combined cost of the speedbooster and the lens are under $1000 USD and the combo meets these specs.

So, is there anything I'm missing out there in this length and speed that's a real gem of a lens, one that makes you want to go out and never take it off the camera?

Thanks!

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I owned a fuji x100 (21mm s35 lens) for a while, I sold it because I needed money and regretted it the second I went street photog with my G6/speed booster/ samyang 35 (~same physical sise as the 24) As much as I love my samyangs for video work, they are just too bulky/large for photo on mft a body that gets completely out of balance with one of them attached... Then I brought a sigma 19mm f2.8 at cheap price to see if I could get the same vibe as with my X100... Not even close. I will sell the sigma and get the 20mmf1.7 panasonic (40mm ff equivalent) to see how it goes. This is why I loved my X100, it simply never disapointed! https://www.flickr.com/photos/endlandsdp/14759169727/

• I like the 20mm f/1.7 panny, but it's not my type of walkaround lens for two reasons - the manual focus on it is, to be charitable, mostly a joke (it's a spinning fly-by-wire focus ring with variable focus speeds depending on how fast you turn it - so there's no instinctive focus pulling, no stops, and no scale) and it doesn't lend the camera any heft for stability or steadier shots. I'll keep it, as the autofocus is fast and it's a tack sharp lens, but it's just not enjoyable to wander with, particularly for video. It sounds like we're kind of on the same page here, I'll be walking around with my G6 or my GH4 too.

I'll say this though: if you want the instinctive auto-focus style rangefinder feel, you'll probably love that 20mm. For candid still shots, it's definitely fantastic and it turns the G6 into a fantastic rangefinder-like hybrid (esp. with electronic shutter on - totally silent photos). So if you don't shoot video as much or for whatever reason you don't value manual focus, you'll love that lens on the G6.

• Dont get me wrong, I love manual focus works, I love my samyangs vdslr, esp with the fotga DP2 FF, and my old takumar 50mil f1.4. The samyangs are really suited to video work, even without rig and handheld but for watever reason it's not working in photo... I would like to try the new canon 24mmf2.8 on a active metabones speed booster, for a very compact and relatively bright setup with (maybe) good manual focus! But I read that it's not as good as the acclaimed 40mm... Not a fan of investing in M43 lenses either! Tanks for the insight on the 20mm as you seem to have the same uses as me for your gear, I may need to shot a bit more with the sigma to see if AF is a neccesity for me! The canon 24mil on speed booster would make a lovely 34.5mm f2 in 35mm equivalents not very fast, but def something to try! Adam

Edit : just checked a bit on the canon 24 mil, and it's focus by wire, so it's out :/

• Well, I gave in and bought the Voigt used for a pretty good deal. If it's as amazing as everyone says, I'll be quite happy with it. If not, it won't go down much further than I paid, I don't think. I don't see MFT glass getting less useful in the future - Super16 glass is still very relevant today, for instance. I'll let you know whether that or the 20mm pancake stay on the camera more this winter!

• I've used a Voigtlander 17,5mm f/0.95 on a shoot with my BMPCC, I loved the feel of it!

I own the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 + RJ Lens Turbo combo, and that is what I'd go with personally but you say it is too big.

I suppose then the Rokinon 24mm T/1.5 on an RJ Lens Turbo is the one for you?

Rokinon 12mm F/2.0 is another to consider, is quite small, rather affordable, but would be a tad on the wide side for you.

• @Ironfilm, glad to hear the Voigt was enjoyable to shoot. That's a big part of it for me. I'll definitely be keeping the Sigma, it's an amazing lens no question. I use it all the time when I'm rigged up. It's not much heavier or bigger than the Rokinon mid-length primes, so I just keep it on when I'm not shooting super wide or super long. For me it's not suitable for throwing in a messenger bag and zipping around town with, though. Always scared to grab the body and whip it out with the booster and Sigma attached - too many flanges to get wobbly over time with that much weight on them.

I tend to prefer a 24mm (Super 35 = 35mm FF) field of view for my photography and even a lot of my film work - it's pretty wide for cinema, but that's ok. I have a Dog Schidt FF58 on order for a cinematic normal lens. I only go wider than 24mm equivalent when I'm doing music videos or specialty stuff - and the Rokinon 10mm is what I reach for then, so the 12 wouldn't bring me much value - although I do look longingly at it all the time for how tiny it is.

On the BMPCC the 12 takes the place of this 17.5 so I'm sure for that camera it's a choice between the Rokinon, the SLR Magic 12, and the Voigt 12 for the perfect ultra fast walkaround lens. On your BMPCC the 17.5 would be a Super 35 equivalent of a 50, which really just depends on your style as to whether that or the 12 is preferable for a day-carry lens. For this camera, that's still on topic, so feel free to toss in your experiences with those if you care to share your walkabout thoughts.