Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Using OCT-18/OCT-19 lenses on an M4/3 camera?
  • So... I was recently offered an old Konvas 1M with Lomo lenses for... $300.

This really intrigued me. After all, those lenses looks AMAZING from what I've seen picture-wise. What I want to know is how they are to use? From what I understand, there is no way to use them on a follow focus... I might be able to live with that, if the rest works. Also, I understand Ciecio7 is the best adapter to get for these, right? Question is basically, how much hassle is it? Is it worth it?

I should add that these are spherical, not anamorphics, but still!
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • be sure the glass is clean, fungus free, and everything is smooth... FUNGUS CANNOT BE REPAIRED... NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS!!!... Ciecio7 adapter is THE BEST... other than those things... I shoot ONLY LOMO oct-18 and wont ever look back
  • no hassle... always have thin tool oil for the barrel so the focus is smooth
  • Glass was fine, so no problem there.

Do you have a picture that I could look at to see your follow focus rig?

Oh and are the distance numbers correct?

SCRATCH THAT!

I just won a set of a 22, 35 and 50 (all T2.4) set of OCT19 lenses. But I figure that Ciecio7's adapter is still the best, right? Also, the focus marks should be correct?
  • yeah the focus marks are correct, also I havent used oct 19 lenses I know some people like them and some people dont... different glass coating and elements... but CONGRATS and I would show you my setup but im in the process of cine converting them
  • Konvas 1m + 3 lenses for 300/- is a great deal. Does your seller have anymore left ?
  • @zcream: Well he'd sold the lenses and only had the body, so I decided not to...
  • here is lomo stuff...
  • Any tips on how to identify OCT-18s on ebay?
  • @jweeke
    Well, a good seller ought to mention that it is OCT-18. Here's a good descriptive listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OKC8-35-1-35-2-lens-movie-camera-Konvas-1M-OCT-18-/270841942604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f70124c
    Observe the first pic (lens at its side). It's mostly smooth rounded, with one small slit at the rear.

It's very different from OCT-19 where it has four "edges" that protrude out at the rear:
    oct18.JPG
    1024 x 683 - 77K
    oct19.jpg
    683 x 800 - 182K
    8.jpg
    800 x 795 - 179K
  • Looks like a great full-sensor solution. I have written to Rykas of Ceico because I have a few Eyemo lenses I'd like to try on my GH2. - these include later (ex NASA) General Scientific coated 25mm and 150mm. Do Eyemo-M4/3 adapters exist?
  • @PerryWilson How did you cine convert your lomos? Did you get someone to do it for you?
  • Apparently, Duclos can convert Lomos as well.
  • Re Eyemo lens adaptors
    [Edit] Rykas has since replied, "I think it would be possible to make an adapter for MFT system. I don't know exact technical details of Eyemo cameras so you would have to send me one lens in order to make measurement".
    The reason I raised it here is that the Lomo oct-18 mount looks quite similar to Eyemo!
  • @PerryWilson

You use thin tool oil for lubricating the barrel of your lomo's? I need to try that as my lenses are pretty stiff. Are there any brands you can name or do I just look for "thin tool oil" It may sound like a silly thing to say but i've never heard of it and google isn't helping me too much so if you can point me in the right direction that would be great :)
  • thin tool oil works well on my lomos... find it at hardware stored it is used primarily for lathes
  • @MomentOfTruth

Thanks, I shall pop into some hardware stores and see what they have.
  • @RJH

PerryWilson is banned, he won't reply.
  • @starstuff

Yeah, I gathered he would be but thanks for the heads up.
  • Lomos are good, okc1(lens model)-50-1(konvas 1m, oct18 mount). resolution is 72 lines per mm, earlier designs means softer lens, later design okc8 , okc11 are more sharp. I have ciesco7 oct18 adapter, excellent quality, get an ir cut filter schneider/b&w/heliopan.

This photo is okc8-35-1 with pen epl-1
    REARVIEW.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 668K
  • Nice bokeh!
  • A 35 and 50 F2 OCT-18 Lomo box arrived this weekend for me and all I can say is wow - aside from the quirky looks, its like transistor amp to valve amp for character - 3d. colour, full of life love em !
  • Does anyone have any information or experience about converting Lomo OCT-18 lenses to a PL mount? I have some oct-18 lenses and the ceico7 adapter, but I'd like to see about PL mount conversions.

It would be nice because as lovely as the Lomos are they can be a mechanical nightmare (having to oil lenses, adjusting screws, etc). Also, with a PL conversion they could possibly be used on other camera systems, as PL adapters mounts / adapters are much more common. Thanks!
  • spbsales does conversions methinks
  • @soundgh2

I was wondering how your 35 f2 performs when you close the aperture beyond F5.6? I have had two of those lenses now and both of them have a central fixed lens flare which I can't fix. At first I thought it was dust but when the second version of the lens exhibited the same problems, I couldn't work it out....as you can see here:

Your one doesn't have the same issue does it?
  • Not present on mine OKC11-35-1 version.