Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
lpowel reliable in camera playback not playing back in camera
  • Hi I recently got the gf1 and have applied the lpowell reliable in camera playback, but I do not get reliable camera playback. It says error and stops playing, it seems this happens when there is a lot of light or a lot going on in the screen. I don't see how this could be the read speed of the card though because the Transcend card I have it way over the 35mbits read speed of the mjpeg bitrate... Am I doing anything wrong? Can I tweak the settings in ptool to give more reliable playback?

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • I just tried changing the frame size of mjpeg to 1280x720 to see if this helped but I still get "error please check card" when I try to playback any image with a decent amount of light and detail....

• @disease8 It is possible that your problem is the UHS technology of that card since the GF1 can not use that as far as I am concerned and the speed is then only a fracture of the manufaturer-daclared specs. You might resolve the problem by using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s cards (it's UHS too but still has a better write-speeds), I never had any problems using these in both MJPEG and AVCHD. Plus they work great with patches like flowmotion 2.02 and Valkyrie 444 TZ3/4 on the GH2. (but they cost around 28 € where I live)

I'm actually a bit surprised, since the bitrate of that patch should not be that high and it should work with most class 10 cards.... Did you format your card in-camera before using it? always important...

I decided testing different cheap SD cards in the GF1 to check which ones work reliably on all the modes and if they span. Those include:

SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s (UHS) - works like a charm!

Panasonic 8GB card Class 10 (non-UHS, OLD card, no idea what tehy cost nowadays) - results pending

CnMemory 32GB Class 10 (non-UHS, 12€) - results pending

Save-tec 32GB Class 10 (probably non-UHS, 12€ too) - results pending

Transcend 32GB 30 MB/s (UHS) - results pending

and every other cheap card I can get my Hands on!

I'll post the results as soon as I have them. Cheers!

• It depends on the detail in the image. My cheap class 10 don't work reliably even for 720p. You need a fast card, as your tests are showing.

• More results from my test:

SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s (UHS) - works like a charm! spanning etc. codec stays strong with towi's deathscreen testclip

Transcend 32GB 30 MB/s (UHS) - works for normal recordings, NO spanning, write-errors using towi's deathscreen

Barun flash (cheap card, no idea about specs, probably class 4) - works for normal recording, NO spanning, write-errors using towi's deathscreen

• Panasonic 8GB Class 10 (non-UHS) - works quite well, NO spanning, NO write-errors