Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
LIPA 4x4 IRND filters on eBay from China
  • Does anyone have any experience with LIPA 4x4" IRND filters? A set of four in 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, and 1.2 strengths is selling for $240, which is very affordable for IRND filters. I am looking only for very high quality glass filters, because I am looking to begin invest in a filter kit that should outlive most of the rest of my gear. Part of me is tempted just to splurge on Schneider filters, but the idea of buying 4 for little more than the price of one is appealing... but again, only if they are very high quality, say 95% - 99% as good as Schneiders.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • All such things need testing.

• Take a look at the Skier IRND, they're wonderful!

• I've heard good things about the Skier filters, but at only $30 less than Schneiders, it's a tough sell for me. As much as I've heard good things from independent filmmakers and videographers online about the Skiers, I've heard more good things IRL from professional cinematographers about the Schneiders. Using an established and well-known brand on set alone is arguably worth the $30 per filter, all else being equal.

• I'm thinking I'll take a leap with these LIPA filters and report back. I didn't realize that the kit for $240 also includes a circular polarizer. That comes out to be less than $50 per filter, which for glass IRNDs is a very good deal even if the quality is shit. I'm also going to buy a Schneider 1.5 ND, because higher strengths is where cheap NDs fall apart. That'll also let me do a comparison between the LIPA 1.2 and the Schneider 1.5 to see how they stack up against each other.

• I've heard good things about the Skier filters, but at only $30 less than Schneiders

Well, last time I checked different was much more (if you compare 4x4 set).

• Price on the Skiers is $120 each, or $350 for a set of 3, right? That makes them $116.67 each. Schneiders are selling on eBay for $153 each, so that's a $36.33 difference.

• Schneiders are selling on eBay for $153 each, so that's a $36.33 difference.

Can I see links for exactly 4x4 IRND filters, all three?

• Well, I'm an idiot! They are not Schneider Platinum IRND, just Schneider ND. Hence the cheap price. Here is the eBay store -- http://stores.ebay.com/spotlightphoto?_dmd=2&_nkw=schneider+4x4

• Well, I'm an idiot! They are not Schneider Platinum IRND, just Schneider ND.

Yep. And it is also US only store.

• Any news on these? Very curious how they have worked out...

• Wondering about these as well. Did you ever order them, Sangye?