Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 and GH4 alligning the timecode
  • hey guys, any tips for me how I can perfectly match my gh3 and gh4 timecodes? I do multicam concert shoots. some cams only film parts here and there and I'd love to have all footage automatically synced in Premiere. no miliseconds drift picture wise. is it possible? plural eyes or premiere's own sync features always fail on some clips and I always need to double check each clip and adjust most manually so in the past I did it all manually. would save me a lot of time to get it in perfect sync with the timecode... (there is no fw for the gh2 that offers timecode, too? then I would only have to manually sync my gopros)

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • As far as I know it's not possible without being able to provide an external timecode reference to each camera. The GH4 can get external tc from the YAGH interface, but I'm not sure about the GH3 timecode features. I would setup each camera with similar timecode as a starting point and calculate an offset for each camera. Then you can do a manual sync or modify an autosync multiclip. I use FCPX which has a very easy workflow for this. The other way is to get a transmitter & receivers for each camera and feed good quality audio from the main audio desk. This will allow reliable autosync.

• Afaik, there is no time code on the gh3

• thanks for your tips (GH3 has a timecode option! I just checked)

• TC exists only in MOV wrapper on GH3 and GH4. You can sync 2 or more GH3s but not with a GH4 or any other cam. In Lumix Link software there is an interval option that also allows you to set the cameras internal clock to match the Android/iOS device. Then you can set the TC in the GH3s to freerun and set the value using TOD (time of day or clock). Havent tested this too much, so not sure what the drift will be like. Also when changing framerates and at other random occurances, there is some bug that will add or subtract an hour to the TC value.

When syncing with GH4, I simply set the clock as close as possible to the other cams and then set TC value to clock. They really could implement a better system into the syncing TC wirelessly. Also, you can set the internal clock to match your phone or tablets time on GoPros using the GP app.

• Hello, I use GH3, GH4 and goPro to capture dance performance. The best way to synchronise the camera and sound is to use the "movie slate" app (iPhone or iPad). You start each camera filming the running timecode on the iPad, so you have a perfect frame accuracy. I try not to stop the camera, but you can note the difference between camera and slate timecode to resynch new take. I also synch the sound feeding one input on my Tascam DR-680 with the LTC coming from the iPhone, and after finding the start timecode with "LTCconvert" (the demo version is suffisant for that). Jacques

• thanks for the tips guys!