Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Surprise. Adobe is Spying on Users.
  • Adobe Digital Editions 4, the newest version of Adobe’s Epub app, seemed to be sending an awful lot of data to Adobe’s servers.

Adobe is gathering data on the ebooks that have been opened, which pages were read, and in what order. All of this data, including the title, publisher, and other metadata for the book is being sent to Adobe’s server in clear text.

Adobe isn’t just tracking what users are doing in DE4; this app was also scanning my computer, gathering the metadata from all of the ebooks sitting on my hard disk, and uploading that data to Adobe’s servers.

And just to be clear, this includes not just ebooks I opened in DE4, but also ebooks I store in calibre and every Epub ebook I happen to have sitting on my hard disk.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/10/06/adobe-spying-users-collecting-data-ebook-libraries/

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • IMHO, everyone who installs & uses DRM software is guilty of being naïve if he expects this kind of software not to misbehave. DRM software turns computers into tools working against their owners. That's their very purpose.

• @karl

Comment without logic, as this app is used by most people to read. Including things without any DRM.
    And why DRM has any relation with sending such info is beyond my logical path.