Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Lenses For Documentary
  • So, I have a documentary shoot upcoming, first doc as a shooter. My background is more directing, producing on the corporate, but began shooting on the GH2 three years ago. Now I've moved to a GH4, need to think through some lens purchases, and could use some advice. The doc will focus on college students as they retrace steps of the Selma-to-Montgomery voting rights march. Shot will be single camera and a soundman. GH4 on a Marauder rig. Location interviews on the fly. Lots of b-roll. Storyline still developing.

I own a Panasonic 12-35 OIS and a Nikon 50mm 1.4 I'm trying to debate the merits of going all native M43 or Speedbooster/Nikon mount. I'd like to get something really wide and fast, along with two primes for interviews. Do I go Tokina 11-6, Sigma 18-35, and two Voigtlander primes (25mm &50mm) with a Speedbooster? Or should I go Panny 7-14mm, SLR Magic 10mm & 25mm? I could use some input and advice. Appreciate the help.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • I'd go with the Tokina 11-16, Sigma 18-35, skip the Voigtlander 25mm because it's covered by the Sigma with speedbooster at f/1.2 (I used to own the Voigtlander and usually stopped it down to at least 1.2 anyway for sharpness). Either the Voigtlander or the Panasonic 42.5mm are great options for interview lenses. I'd probably go with the Panasonic if you can afford the extra $500, for AF and OIS. Another option would be to get a good 50mm for Nikon. There are lots of good vintage Nikon 50s, at f/1.2, 1.4, and 1.8. The Sigma Art 50mm might come in question, too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing and matching Speedbooster and native M43 mount lenses. I'm not a fan of the Panny 7-14mm, or the SLR Magics. The Panny is too slow, and the SLR Magics have weird flare characteristics, and in general I just don't like their look.

• Other lenses to consider are the new Rokinon (aka bower, samyang) Cine DS Primes. They are color matched and the focus and iris rings have been repositioned to be consistent among all lenses in the lineup. see:

http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2014/09/12/are-rokinon-primes-right-for-you/

You get amazing speed and flexibility with a speed booster and since they are not micro four thirds specific you have flexibility to shoot with other camera formats if you desire.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-rokinon-welcomes-new-50mm-t15-lens-its-cine-ds-lineup

Compare the Samyang/rokinon with a Canon L lens:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=121&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=771&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

• DanPV, thank you for your input.

I hadn't thought of the Rokinons and really like their price point, although I've never shot with them. Those paired with the Tokina & Sigma along with a Speedbooster would give me plenty of flexibility. And since I already own the Panny 12-35, I'll have at least one lends with OIS for more run and gun situations.

I'd love to see how the10mm looks on a GH4 with Speedbooster and wonder if I can find one for rent first.