Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Truth and marketing
  • Another fallacy ingrained in the minds of most marketing managers is the belief that the better product will win the marketing battle.

Behind the thinking of many marketing managers is the thought that "truth will out."

In other words, if you have the "facts" on your side, it's only necessary to find a good advertising agency who can communicate those facts to the prospect and a good sales force who can close the sale.

We call this approach "inside-out thinking" that somehow the advertising agency or the sales force can take the truth, as the company knows it, and use this truth to clear up the misconceptions that reside inside the mind of the prospect.

Don't be fooled. Misconceptions cannot easily be changed by an advertising or sales effort.

What is truth? Inside every human being is a little black box. When a human being is exposed to your advertising or sales claim, that person looks inside the box and says "That's right" or "That's wrong."

The single most wasteful thing you can do in marketing today is to try to change a human mind. Once a mind is made up, it's almost impossible to change.

What is truth? Truth is the perception that's inside the mind of the prospect. It may not be your truth, but it's the only truth you can work with. You have to accept that truth and then deal with it.

Quote from "Marketing Warfare".

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Proper marketing isn't about convincing people they want what you have; it's about giving them what they want.

• Proper marketing isn't about convincing people they want what you have; it's about giving them what they want.

Cool, did you read that is written above? Read the book? :-)

• I've not read the book, no... but from your small quote, it looks like a book that might have some good info and education.

Years ago - I can't recall where/who taught me this - so it's not my quote. But they said - "Selling is about convincing a customer they want what you have. Marketing is about determining what a customer wants, and finding a way to meet that need. Too often, the two get confused."

• Selling is about convincing a customer they want what you have. Marketing is about determining what a customer wants, and finding a way to meet that need. Too often, the two get confused

Guy who told you this is wrong. Marketing is all of this things. Marketing in bare form just means surviving on the market. Any tech allowing you to do this is good. Marketing teaching and meaning became total shit as we had exponential market for few decades, so all you need to do is get the credit money and push the shit you made.

Also, people rarely know exactly that they want. And if they know, they get information that lead them to decision somewhere or from someone :-)

• Marketing in bare form just means surviving on the market.

No, Surviving just means surviving. Marketing is one of several methods one can use to survive in the marketplace (theft and embezzlement would be others, for example).

Also, people rarely know exactly that they want. And if they know, they get information that lead them to decision somewhere or from someone

Agreed, but the end result is that everyone wants something. Psychologists may be overly interested in "why" - and that can have applications in business - but at the end of the day... if people want a gold-plated iPhone, then the ones selling such things will do better on their sales ledgers.

• No, Surviving just means surviving. Marketing is one of several methods one can use to survive in the marketplace (theft and embezzlement would be others, for example).

Read the first post, as it is generally why it is waste of time to post that you posted :-)

if people want a gold-plated iPhone, then the ones selling such things will do better on their sales ledgers.

If someone really wants gold plated iPhone is diagnose by itself :-) take your time and meet real people with real needs.

• Read the first post, as it is generally why it is waste of time to post that you posted

Perhaps we're taking different message from the first post.

If someone really wants gold plated iPhone is diagnose by itself :-) take your time and meet real people with real needs.

Well, I think such things are a complete waste of money. But then, I'm sure I'd get the same feedback from others on some of the things I spend my money on. I prefer firearms to electronics...

But if one's goal is to get a lot of product out the door fora healthy income, then by all means - sell as many gold iPhones as you can.

• Perhaps we're taking different message from the first post.

Perhaps you just got only marketing side. :-)

• "truth" and " marketing" are antithetical

• "truth" and " marketing" are antithetical

Nope. Good marketing is always telling truth. Just not all.

• Then it's lying by omission . The truth is an absolute. Anything less is only "partial truth"...or lying in degrees. Marketing is definitely lying ! Lying is so prevalent in marketing that they make laws to attempt to curb it, i.e."truth in advertising", which is an oxymoron ! Separate salesmanship from marketing.

• There is plenty of truth in advertising... It's not even hard to find an example.

"Moxie xyz, opening in theaters Nov 12th."

"The xyz new car has more legroom and more horsepower."

"This knife can cut through a beer can."

• Then it's lying by omission . The truth is an absolute. Anything less is only "partial truth"...or lying in degrees.

:-) Please keep discussion level. Truth can be absolute in two grandmas talk, not here.

• Nope. Good marketing is always telling truth. Just not all.

Marketing is one thing and one thing ONLY: creating a perception. If truth runs counter to that perception, you're not going to find it.

• Truth can be absolute in two grandmas talk, not here

...perhaps the two grandma's are wiser !

...and obviously we don't even believe what the cameramakers tell us, that's why we look and discuss for ourselves !