Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 focusing compared to GH2 question
  • i use two hacked gh2s. i do mostly video. im hearing the gh4 flat out blows the gh2 away with auto focus. im thinking of buying one and using my gh2 for.broll. I hear it focuses just like a video camera. any insight appreciated. thanks

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I'm considering a similar move to gh4. I don't have much to add other than as good as the evf on the gh2 is, the gh4 is typically judged a significant upgrade. That alone should mean a lot in terms of focusing. Not necessarily auto focusing precisely, but it's a component of auto focus, if you've use a bmpcc you'd relate.

• Autofocus is better than GH2 but still needs a bit of care to work smoothly. It's not quite as forgiving as a handycam!

• it doesnt focus like a video cam. closes you will get from my experience is with the 14-140 kit lens. thats one mighty fine autofocus lens. I've used it on runways and it will focus 80% of the time. then they get too close or change direction too fast and it shits itself for a bit but recovers fast. 4k however is slow in the focus department from my experience. 1080 is fast.

• im considering buying a gh4, not for the 4k, but for the 1080 60p. im wanting to know if the sandisk 95 cards i used with my hacked gh2s flowmotion 2.2 will work in this mode on gh4. im not gonna spend hundreds of dollars on special cards for 4k. any input appreciated thanx

• @howardst

I have the 64gb 95mbs cards and have no issues at all with the GH4. The 200mbps modes rarely go that high on my camera . Normally it is in the 100mbps range.

• Shooting some glidecam footage in very detailed areas with fast camera movement I had a card problem one time with a PNY (I think it is) card that claimed 95MBps on it.

I always shoot these shots in 1080/60P, and most of them end up right at 200Mbps because of all of the detail in the scene and the fast motion. So far I have not had any problem with the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards.

Regarding the autofocus, I concur with the comments above. 4K has been pretty slow for me to the point that I would never use autofocus with it. At the other end of the spectrum is the Olympus 7-14 F2.8 lens on a narrow aperture, shooting 1080 modes. Autofocus in those situations is essentially perfect (largely because it hardly has to do anything I suppose... Lol).

There was one time that I had a problem with it though, when I was goofing around with a buddy and I became enveloped in a cloud of tire smoke. When the smoke cleared a bit, there was an instant where focus was lost. Here's the video in question, with ridiculous color grading that caused a lot of banding and other nonsense, again just for the sake of more goofing around: