Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hacked GH1 - AVCHD transcoding...wont go above 15mbps
  • Hey all, finally managed to get some tests done with my hacked gh1. I have played around with the 75mbps Peak Reliability patch ahd the 100mbps max lat patch. I have shot a range of subjects from grassing fields/trees/test patterns, and at a range of isos, apatures and shutterspeeds. However once I bring them into FCP 6 and transcode them...i end up with clips that will not go over 15mbps. Am I trancoding wrongly? or has the patch not worked properly? (I have yet to have my camera freeze up on me).
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • This question is not related to hack.
    Because I do not know how you want to compare transcoded bitrate. :-)
    And it is 15MBps, not 15Mbps as I understand :-)
  • Sorry I may have gotten a bit confused and thanks for replying Vitaliy...is there a way to measure the bitrates before they get transcoded? I have a feeling that transcoding the files to AVCHD is reducing the quality of the footage as I am getting a large amount of artifacting and blocking in the highlights...and FCP says the footage is only 15Mbps....cheers :)
  • Use VLC, Toast Video Player, or I believe you can even use Quicktime if you have Panasonics AVCHD Quicktime plug-in to check bitrates before transcoding.
  • As a quick check on overall bitrate, I have used Media Inspector 1.0 ( from the Mac store - $2.99) to see what bit rates I'm getting on my clips. Just drag the original file recorded in the camera, to the app's icon. Also use VLC occasionally.
  • cheers for that....does anyone know why once I have transcoded the footage to prores I only end up with footage that FCP says is 15mbps?
  • dude, theres a difference between Mbps(megabits) and MBps(megabytes)

15MBps = 120Mbps

Im sure your getting 15 MBps in Prores in FCP