Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Zacuto Great Camera Shootout 2011 Episode 3
  • Here is a link to the final Episode to this series. Listen To the Suprise at the end.

http://www.zacuto.com/the-great-camera-shootout-2011/episode-three
  • 11 Replies sorted by
  • Anybody know how we can all contact Zacuto together about including the GH2 with both stock and 176mbps Hack?

Since the Canon has Cinestyle, it would be fair for the DOP to include a hacked GH2, as they could push the camera as far as the hack allows....

What DP name comes to mind when you think mastering hacked GH2 that could put up a great fight against Film, the Alexa and Epic?
  • @NickBen,

Would you want a hack that would give the most film-like look or a hack that would balance maximum resolution against noise?
  • @NickBen - "Anybody know how we can all contact Zacuto together about including the GH2..."

Too late, I'm quite sure Panasonic discussed the GH2 with Zacuto well before the 2011 Shootout...

Anyone else think the Episode 3 skintone test was botched by the wide variations in depth of field? The near and far models' faces were noticeably softer on some of the cameras, due to their narrow DOF. Why didn't they simply light the scene bright enough to use a narrow aperture?
  • In "The Revenge of the Great Camera shootout", the next Zacuto project Steve mentions at the end of this episode , he said that they would include the GH2, as well as the Red Epic, FS100 and " cameras that are coming".
  • @bleach551 The target would be to best approximate the Holy Grail of Film Look, of course it's impossible to replicate with the GH2 stock and HDMI output, but it would be great to see how close with the Hack you can get and what those settings would be.

It's very clear that VK and all the contributors here are more interested in getting great film-like video than Panasonic, so why wouldn't you as a DP use the Hack? (other than potential stability, in which case I'd have a second cam shooting unhacked as backup)
  • @NickBen,

I think what I was trying to say was which hack for the GH2 would you want, as part of the GH2 community, to best represent the GH2 abilities against all of the other cameras. Would you want to use a hack that most closely "tried" to match the resolution of the other cameras or a hack that would more closely approximate the film look of the other camera with a slight sacrifice of sharpness?
  • @bleach551 Great point, it's interesting to see what people want to compare it to, and unfortunately it's a moving target with DSLR... but Film and CCD still holds strong advantages against CMOS to my preference...

What I'd attempt to do with GH2 hack

1. First, I'd go for trying to mimic a clean 24p film look, otherwise we'd be all shooting 60p camcorders like the TM700.

2. 2 unique color profiles, first the "Dead On" / "screw post-processing" approach, and second a RAW/Cinestyle color profile to give the colorist/director choices and add grain in post...

I think the hacked GH2 has the greatest flexibility at this point in DSLR land and assume when/if Red releases a S35 Scarlet or Canon releases 10bit 4:2:2 APS-C or FF format that will be the next moving target to judge against.

(my quick personal opinion about RAW format: despite all the artistic flexibility of RAW formats, I feel somehow there's a 2006-2011 trend for artists to limit the color pallette in post as opposed to enhance what our eye naturally sees... I feel it, can't quantify it, but just hits me that way...)
  • @NickBen,

I think you are right about trying to get the cleanest 24P along with a color profile or two to best display the abilities of the GH2.

I believe Steve said that " The Revenge Of The Great Camera Shootout" Episode would focus not so much on Technical Quantitative numbers but on how well each camera's operator with various uses of In-camera settings, Filters, Lighting, ...etc could achieve the most pleasing, artistic, filmic, High quality image possible.

Quantitative technical analysis one to one will be put on the "Back Burner" in favor of what The camera's Final Image looks like not so much as what the technical numbers say it can and can't do.

What really got my attention was when Steve said the test would include the FS100, Red Epic, GH2 and "Cameras Still to Come".
  • Zacuto is a class outfit to put together such a massive shootout. Very glad the GH2 will soon have its day in their capable hands. I'm betting they will use a hacked one, hopefully using the best we have day of shoot.
  • I'm Glad Zacuto Has finally chosen to include the GH2. Even though I don't think we will see how quantitatively it stacked up to the other higher end cameras as in The "Great Camera Shootout", we will hopefully see how its final images stack up against the others when the right hack and operators mastery of it is applied.
  • We rent from them when in Chicago -- +1 that they are great. Not only is gear solid but they are super, super helpful and just plain nice. Will give them an email and ask them to include the latest GH2 hack in the testing.