Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 w/ ISCO CINEMASCOPE ANAMORHPIC x2
  • Hey guys, I recently purchased a big 35mm projector lens made by ISCO for cheap off Ebay. So far the image looks great, very cinematic with all the distinctive anamorphic characteristics. I would like to be able to have a closer focus though, as any close up shots always look a little fuzzy and out of focus. What kind of diopter would I need for this? Would the thread size be 82mm? Unsure of what would be the best option. And would I need to remove the diopter for other shots at longer focal lengths?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I'm not sure exactly what the front thread is on your anamorph lens. But there is an front filter adapter you can purchase which allows the use of 72mm thread filters.

Diopters from +.5 to +2 would be good, I currently use a +.33 and a +1.33 from SLR magic which is awesome. But depends on the minimum CFD of your anamorph lens too.

• Okay awesome, yeah I'm defiantly interested! Do you have to constantly switch these for different focal lengths? Say if you had the +2 on and you wanted a close up; would this then need to be removed for a longer shot 5-6 meters away? I just really like the image I'm getting, but the lens needs certain things to make it more practical.

• You only need the diopters if your focusing closer than 2 meters. And you will be constantly adjusting focus on both the anamorph and taking lens simultaneously.

Takes lots of practice and patience, reasons why many don't like using it because it's tedious work. But the outcome is worth it all to me, since you obtain a very unique look. And it feels good to know how to use these, cause of it's inconvenience and difficulty of use. Or else everyone would be doing it and it wouldn't be unique.

• Thanks for all the insight! My anamorphic lens actually just baffles over my taking lens which means I normally just single focus on my rig and it works well! I can even rack focus when its setup on my shoulder rig. I'll have to look into these diopters, I don't like being limited to a 2 meter focus. Totally agree with you on that last bit! The image is worth it.