Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 96FPS Anamorphic?
  • I wanted to see if anyone has thought to shoot using anamorphic lenses on the GH4 using the Variable Frame Rate mode. The biggest reason I'm wondering is because it's been confirmed that VFR mode reduces the GH4's resolution to somewhere between 1080p and 720p. However, by using anamorphic lenses you would have to crunch the vertical pixels in post, therefor giving you more vertical resolution. This doesn't help with the horizontal resolution, but I'm sure it would help with the "softness" most people notice in VFR mode. Since we are talking about improving the resolution though, it would make sense for someone to try it out with some legitimate anamorphic lenses (not Jimmy rigged projector lenses from the 70's). Think it might be possible?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I made slowmo with the Anamorphot; for exemple at 02:18

I think it works well, when you have enough light.

• Can you explain your process shooting anamorphic on gh4? Thanks.

• I use a SLR Magic Anamorphot (http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/slr-magic-anamorphot-133x-50-anamorphic-adapter.html)

You screw the adaptator on the lens, for my video on the Voigtlander 25mm via a step-up ring (3 diameters available: 49mm, 52mm, 58mm). The picture will be deformed vertically. You rescale on y axis in post-prod, working on a 1920x818 composition.

Et voilà :)

• That footage looks great, I've wanted to start shooting anamorphic for a while now.