Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Just thoughts: Android going nuts
  • Android's app repository now has more than 1.5 million, with downloads reportedly growing by 50 percent between 2013 and 2014.

Income from those apps is increasing at an even faster pace, more than doubling last year's totals. What's notable about that growth is that it's being driven almost entirely by freemium apps — free to download, but including paid in-app purchases — which now produce 98 percent of all revenues from Android apps and games.

One thing to note here is that present system introduced by huge corporations don't work, as people want to download and try apps for free.

Going back in time working system existed and it was called shareware software. Corporation still afraid to introduce shareware principles.

So for now things settled at the freemium apps, most of them, especially games being much more horrible alternative for usual paid apps.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • They're not afraid Vitaliy, the business model is simply not there except for silly games and utilities of dubious utility, developed by 1/2/3 man shops, just as shareware used to. In the professional space, just because Resolve has a free tier (supported by ancillary revenue from hardware sales) doesn't mean that's how things will roll going forward. Do you really expect Autodesk Flame Advanced 2016 Free Edition. Come on. I'm not flaming you (pun).

• developed by 1/2/3 man shops, just as shareware used to

And this is just bot correct. If you go back in time on blog you can just see that most of the income goes to not small companies, and as you can see 98% of income comes from trial like software.

Do you really expect Autodesk Flame Advanced 2016 Free Edition. Come on. I'm not flaming you (pun).

Shareware perfectly works even for very large products. In fact, it is how it works already if you know internals of specialized software contracts, especially if firm is changing software. I personally saw as full software for hundreds of thousands of dollars was provided for trial and test and this later resulted in contract.

In reality - more complex software require trial much more and longer one.

• You're redefining the meaning of shareware to fit your argument. As I see it, the business model going forward for professional products is subscription (rental). The craziest yet is 24h licensing of features of HARDWARE products (see Odissey 7Q).

• You're redefining the meaning of shareware to fit your argument.

It is not so, as I knew people and shareware scene inside very good. So I know things here.

Are trials provided in big contracts shareware? Not exactly, but principles are absolutely same.

As I see it, the business model going forward for professional products is subscription (rental).

Subscription is the model pushed by big corporations. My prediction that we will see huge blows soon, similar to PSN and Adobe disasters. And with licensing servers going offline for days.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

If you go back in time on blog..

Interesting stuff. Can you please point us to the source -or blog -of these latest statistics?

• Well the App Annie review prettty much sums up the exploding app phenomenon: meaning more-of-the-same. Games have gone feral. Utility apps abound, but with only a small number of us prepared to join Google + so as to rate them, choosing one out of the million or so has become even more of a hit and miss affair.

Yes, shareware may provide the revenue model for true developer teams to build the refined mobile apps lots of us want.

As for Google's plans to put its OS onto all those devices currently happily running under various embedded Linux forms, well they're probably looking to profile users even more. But a GPS device running the Chrome OS? meaning out-of-reception = device won't work? How many people ever wanted that Chrome netbook anyway?

• Yes, shareware may provide the revenue model for true developer teams to build the refined mobile apps lots of us want.

It can, but for this both major app stores must be banned by governments and corporations must be forced to allow developers to offer applications as they like, in store (with 2% transaction margin top limit), on site, etc.

• "The long-awaited switch to Android-first app development hasn’t happened yet"

http://qz.com/226060/the-long-awaited-switch-to-android-first-app-development-hasnt-happened-yet/

"Looking at 119 recent Y Combinator incubator participants and Google Ventures seed investments, of those offering apps, more than 90% had iOS apps, about half had both iOS and Android apps, and fewer than 10% only had Android apps. Among those with both, their iOS app typically launched several months ahead of their Android app."

Adoption rates to latest operating system:

ios 7 - 89%

Kit Kat - 13%

• Android phones account for 88% sold smartphones :-)