Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sound Mixing help : from lav/shotgun interview to warm voiceover
  • I'm making a little documentary about boxing, and being by myself (shooting/editing/... everything!) it's always a compromise between what I want and what is doable. I already posted a small "teaser" showing the boxer

My issue is that a properly staged interview in the boxing club was cancelled in the last minute (figure me, all my gear & the boxer in front of a closed door at 9PM... "little" bummer!). But I had to do the interview that night because the boxer had a plane for mexico the next day... A dream situation for any shooter. Living in Paris there isn't any quiet place that I can find in the last minute, so I decided to forget the visual interview, do a voice over and just record audio in my (somewhat) quiet room. My issue is that I don't have a Ribon mic or any proper "voice-over mic". So I did it with what I have :

• A lavalier : sanken Cos. 11
    • a boom : Sanken CS3e

So now I have my two mono tracks and hope to find a way to transform his voice into a voice-over with audition (I learn fast... but I don't know anything about mixing right now...). I will try to do what I can by testing over and over. But if someone can give me some advice on how I can enhance this voice it would be awesome. I don't necessarily want to transform his voice into something beautiful. I want to feel that I'm in his head. His thought... well a voice over. :-)

Cos.11 Lav.wav
    Sanken CS3e.wav
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • Its quite unlikely that you will make it sound as you wish, but you could try to make your mic sound more like big membrane with something like this: http://www.antarestech.com/products/detail.php?product=Mic_Mod_EFX_5

Remove some room with Unveil VST (stitch multiple exports of trial if to expensive).

EQ, compress, gate & add clearity with Voxformer: http://www.voxengo.com/product/voxformer/

It will make bad sounding stuff a little better, but not great. For sound its even more true that for picture: Get it right on set. There is other plugins that do the same (beside Unveil, its unique), do a little research with the terms you find in my links.

• Thanks Meierhans! Yeah I never expect a miraculous "fix in post" but it's good to see some clue like theses. That make me less blind on my voice over tutorial quest.