Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lost my GH2.
  • Won't bore you with the details, buy my GH2 + Leica 25mm have vanished.

I still have my kit lens and my (dare I say, beloved) Panny 100-300. Not ready to upgrade to the GH4 yet.

Wanted opinions on what the cheapest replacement would be from the Lumix lineup? Would like 60p video, but not a deal breaker. Mostly for nature photography with that lens. Were any other camera's hacked besides the GH2?

thx

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • People here seem to like the G6 as an upgrade between the GH2 and the GH4. It has 60p and focus peaking, but, not as good build quality. The good news is they're cheap!

An alternative is the GX7 with better build & better peaking but there is no mic input, if memory serves… I don't think there is a hack for either and reports suggest they may not need it.

I was like you, but, went for the GH4 and am happy, despite paying a lot more to get a headphone jack. The 4k was a bonus for me. The 4k files make really sweet 1080 images.

• @Hallvalla: If you live in the EU, I'm selling my trusty old GH2 in its original box, with original battery, charger + 3 third-party batteries for 300 EUR+20 EUR postage.

It's in good condition except for two details: (1) the rubber hood for the electronic viewfinder got loose on its lower part and is now kept in place with a small piece of gaffer tape. (Apparently, that's a common problem.) You can either replace it with a new rubber hood from Panasonic, or attach it permanently with superglue; (2) there are dust specs on the sensor protection glass, so you'll need to have it cleaned (either doing it yourself with a sensor cleaning kit or having it done in a camera store for about 30 Euro).

• @cantsin not in EU, thanks.

@CFreak G6 sounds good for me, will try and find a used one for now

• Go for the GH4. You won't regret it unless you loose that one as well. It really is a better camera and a MUCH better video camera than anything else out there.

• @mpgxsvcd tempted, but I think I'll be fine this summer with just a cheap interchangeable Lumix (used) that I can put my other Lumix lenses on.

I guess a better question would be which Lumix does the best with a hack? (non-GH2)

Panasonic G1 yes yes done done present
    Panasonic G2 yes yes done done present
    Panasonic G3 yes yes done done present
    Panasonic GF1 yes yes done done present
    Panasonic GF2 yes yes done done present
    Panasonic GF3 yes yes done done present
    Panasonic GX1 yes yes done done present