Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
10Gbps Wi-Fi is coming, good for video apps
  • Huawei, a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, today announced that it has** successfully achieved the industry’s first 10Gbps Wi-Fi service in laboratory trials** at Huawei’s campus in Shenzhen. This important milestone, which delivered data over Wi-Fi 10 times faster than the fastest existing Wi-Fi capability commercially available today, will enable a new era of big data applications by using ultra-fast Wi-Fi technology based on advanced next generation architecture to boost data rates to 10Gbps.

The 10Gbps Wi-Fi prototype achieved a record transmission data rate of 10.53Gbps on 5GHz frequency bands. The success of this prototype development, and the ten folds increase in spectrum efficiency that made it possible, paves the way for the validation of technologies needed to support the creation of next generation Wi-Fi. Huawei believes that ultrafast Wi-Fi could become commercially available from 2018 pending the agreement of global standards requirements and sufficient chipset availability.

http://www.huawei.com/ilink/en/about-huawei/newsroom/press-release/HW_341651

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I wonder how much power a 10G WiFi sender/receiver will consume. I'm afraid you won't want to battery-power such devices. But for stationary devices, a cable might be the better solution, as it provides the full unshared bandwidth even if your neighbour uses the same technology.

• I wonder how much power a 10G WiFi sender/receiver will consume.

Not too much. They use many bands.

• 10Gbase-T EtherNet has an even broader spectrum available for use, plus the current it pushes through the wire is going directly to the peer, not spread out omnidirectional into the air.

And yet, their current power consumption (of ~ 3W per port) is considered a problem for AC-powered infrastructure.

I would be very surprised if a 10G WiFi link could be built that consumes less power than a 10Gbase-T EtherNet port.

But sure there's hope for advances in both technologies that will lower their power consumption further.

• If you ask me, I do not care. 10Gb Ethernet consumption is important as 99% of it is used in datacenters for now.