Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
LX7 or GF6 + 14mm for video?
  • Planning to get either an LX7 or a GF6 to use as a compact to always have with me, 25p video being my main use. Already own a GH3, looking for something lighter and cheaper so I can take anywhere without much worry, throw in the back seat of the car, film the kids at the beach, etc...

The two cameras are similar in size, and also more or less in price (after selling the GF6 kit lens). Also intend to be using an ND filter with either to help get the correct exposure for aimed frame rates. If getting the GF6, I'd be using the 14mm + ND both of which I already own (until I get hold of a Sigma 30mm DN to replace the 14mm, same filter size).

At 1080/25p, both seem to cap the video at 20Mbps, but not sure if the compression efficiency is similar?

Does anyone have any practical experience with these, mainly with regards to video quality?

Do they both have adjustable color modes for video like the GH3? Vivid, natural, etc? Can you tone saturation down, etc?

How nice is the LX7 lens? And how does one attach a filter to it? Do you just unscrew the lens cover, and that's it? Or do you need some sort of adapter? I've googled and youtubed, but still a bit confused about how to use those 37mm filters on the LX7...

I've compiled the following "pluses" for each of them:

• LX7: Internal ND filter, slightly more pocketable, fast lens, slow-mo@100pfs.
    • GF6: Adjustable LCD, bigger sensor, changeable lens.

Any inputs? Which one you'd rather get?

Thanks!

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • May be GM1? People like it and also it is really small.

LX7 is good camera, and if you will find good deal - very good option, just remember to have something for secondary sound.

• +1 for the GM1. If you want to save money, sell the 12-32mm and get the 14-42mm ii ASPH (the new one which should be also included in the GF6 kit). It´s fitting perfectly (diameter wise) and it´s a very good lens too (beside that you also don´t need to extend it like the 12-32mm pancake zoom).

Price wise you´re in a higher range (compared to the LX7 or GF6) - Right. But the GM1 is DEFINITELY the best (compact) m4/3 body out there I know of (and I had til now). Also the video performance is VERY good (you can even use it as a B-CAM for your GH3). AND: Also the 14mm lens is fitting perfectly ^^. Altough I would recommend a stabilized lens (for shooting video).

• I absolutely love my LX7, the lens is so sharp in photo mode at f2.8 and above! I have it always with me, in my pocket with a auto lens cap. I love how 100% crops of the pictures from it look good, with a very analog grain. Battery life is very good too, and the video mode works a threat. 720p120fps is very cinematic too, despite being full auto... A friend dropped it 1 mt on concrete, it has some dents but works as new. Next step is to put it on a drone, the stab is very good ;)

Video with it :

• One of my favorite videos, from the LX7:

It is really good indoors, in dimmer light (but has built-in ND filters for outdoors).

• Another thumbs up for the LX7 very small, great video and the lens is fast and sharp. I set it on 1080 60p and find the video quality quite good. The add on auto lens cap is great as well.

• Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

So, no love for the GF6? The reason I was considering it was mainly the very similar size to the LX7: http://camerasize.com/compare/#452,350

Anyone here experienced with the GF6? It would be nice to get both sides of the story... :)

I agree about the GM1, but my plan was to actually get one of them for my wife in a couple of months, to replace the GF2 she stole from me :) And then I thought I'd get myself something else.

I can get the LX7 for $300, and the GF6 kit for $400, so it seems like a too good opportunity to miss. If I sell the 14-42mm for 100 bucks, then it's all even. Funny, just realised I could actually buy both of them for the price of the GM1 :)

I guess there's something about the LX series. I got my sister an LX5 some years ago for her honeymoon, and I remember it being such a pleasure to use. And the video quality was awesome as well.

Then again, the GF6 tiltable LCD seems perfect for video, plus I really enjoy shooting with primes. Just afraid the video quality is sub par. Not many samples on the Internet, I guess it being a non-enthusiast model...

Tough one...

PS: By the way, how do you attach a filter to the LX7? Do you need some sort of adapter?

• @Adam_Mercier

Great video, pitty the youtube compression... Do you have it uploaded somewhere else as well? Would be nice to have a more proper peek at the compression quality...

• @markr041

Cool video, very distinct style.

Funny, I was actually reading a few threads of yours on avsforums about the GW77, RX100 and LX7... Lots of good info on your posts... Btw, you seem to command a lot of respect there ;)