Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Building a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Rig
  • I am looking to develop a full rig for a BMPCC. I'm trying to keep everything around the $2000 mark including the camera. If I could get this under 2000 that would be great too but doesn't feel realistic. My main bread and butter is music videos for indie artists and live events.

Besides the camera these are the elements I'm also looking to purchase

Metabones Speedbooster for Nikon lenses (Is the RJ Focal Reducer good enough for paid gigs? This is the most expensive purchase after the camera)

Hontoo BMPCC cage http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-Version-BMPCC-Cage-Rig-For-BlackMagic-Pocket-Cinema-Camera-2x-Rod-/181378889523?_trksid=p2054897.l5663

IndiPro Power Grid & XLR Audio Box: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1035931-REG/indipro_tools_pasonybmp_power_grid_for_blackmagic.html

Storage - Sandisk 64gb x 3

Monitor - Feelworld monitor

P&C Shoulder Pad

I already have a ton of sony batteries, rig handles, monitor mount and extra 15mm rods if needed.

Does this set up make sense for anyone how has experience with the BMPCC? I feel like this rig would address all the known issues. Sensor size (I have Nikon primes, not looking to buy new lenses), battery life (read single Sony L battery could give me 5 hours), audio issues, etc

I want to be cost effective as possible but also want to make sure I'm not forgetting something or if I could get the same thing for cheaper somewhere else.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Isn't Varavon cage cheaper? Also, I think I've seen cheaper no-brand cages that look identical to the one you linked. You could maybe look for a loupe instead of a monitor if you budget for a z-bracket or the adjustable shoulder pad/bracket from Tilta. You have to think about how you prefer to set up, if you want the camera on your shoulder and a monitor or camera centered and keep it light weight. Do you need XLR? Do you own a sound recorder? There are good and small batteries that you can use and shoot all day with, for around 60 usd.

I got the RJ lens turbo for my m42 lenses. Back focus was waaaaay off when it arrived, though if you have no qualms at adjusting that (it's not difficult) then the difference to a speedbooster should be negligible. However! You of course have the possibility to get the speedbooster for bmpcc (stronger reduction) that gives you about the similar image (ideally) from your lenses that they would have on aps-c. This might be preferable. I'd see how the lenses look on f.i. a mFT sensor and compare that to how they look on an aps-c sensor and decide after that, regardless of price differences.

• The Varavon cage is like 100 dollars more I believe unless I'm mistaken.

I don't own a sound recorder. I was looking to record audio straight to video to avoid having to sync in post. Would it be cheaper to use a separate recorder?

Can you point me to the batteries you can shoot all day with for 60 USD?

I'm wrestling with the idea of RJ Lens Turbo vs the Speedbooster. If the field of view difference is minor then I might go with RJ. My fear is that currently my widest lens is a 24mm Nikon. I don't want that lens to become long lens because of the camera switch. I prefer a good wide angle shot.