Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Microsoft in serious talks with MediaTek
  • Microsoft has been aggressively trying to persuade MediaTek to push Windows-based tablets in China's white-box market and with the software giant's announcement of offering free Windows licensing to mobile devices sized below 9-inches, sources from the upstream supply chain expect a high chance for the two firms to form partnership. MediaTek and Microsoft did not confirm the rumor yet.

Because of Windows tablets' high prices, most brand vendors have chosen to develop Android-based tablets, but with Microsoft's new licensing policy, brand vendors may reconsider to develop related models, the sources said.

The sources pointed out that Microsoft and Qualcomm are mainly cooperating over Microsoft's Nokia smartphones, which had shipments of 10-20 million units in 2013. However, seeing the Windows platform continues to remain a minor player in the smartphone market, Microsoft is seeking cheaper solutions for its products to boost market share.

It is serious. First results of Microsoft can be already seen in the market of small tablets with full fledged Windows 8.1. If they move Windows Phone and Windows RT to MTK solutions their share can triple in no time.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • For the first quarter of 2014, revenues were up 91.9% on year to NT$46.01 billion, higher than its guidance of NT$41.4-44.6 billion and market expectations of NT$45.5 billion.

It is now clear where most rise was :-)

• I smell lawsuits in the pipeline...

• I smell lawsuits in the pipeline...

It is not about it. It is about simple fact that if Microsoft, MTK and Intel will make all things right this year Q4 can change things significantly.

• I understand and agree with your assessment but MS has been ignored by the other players because they've had a marginal impact on market share so far. But once they start sinking their teeth into their rivals' piece of pie I suspect lawyers will be rolled out faster than joints at a rock festival.

• Things are moving super fast now

$179 Chinese phone. Initially will be Android, but Windows firmware will be available soon.

http://www.neomobile.me/neo-m1.html

feb_sales91.jpg
    480 x 432 - 26K