Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Does anyone know how to select only the bokeh part of a shot?
  • Helloo, Does anyone know how to select only the blured part of an image??, as there is focus peaking (even though i don´t know if there is a desktop software that can do this), i´m guessing there should be a way to select only the bokeh of an image instead of what is in focus???

can anyone think on a software, or a method, to achieve this??

Greetings!

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Only way I know is to take in Photoshop & Create a mask & mask out the clear part.Dont think any software out focus on the out of focus part.Hope it helps.

• Might be possible in Stereo-3D.

• I would look at it from another angle. Is your subject darker than the out of focus area or vice versa? Maybe use a luma matt.

• Could you do something with edge detection (the in-focus stuff will all have edges but the blurred parts won't have any edges to detect) and then somehow just select the stuff outside of the region with the detected edges? Don't know how but might be the makings of an approach.

• Could you do something with edge detection (the in-focus stuff will all have edges but the blurred parts won't have any edges to detect) and then somehow just select the stuff outside of the region with the detected edges? Don't know how but might be the makings of an approach.

+1

In http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/164330# thread there's a AE CC project file you can download (K_3), instead of using Luma mate, you could use Luma inverted, then you would be affecting areas "without" edges or blured. -- Probably other than deselect all effects and layers you're not planning to use, you should increase blurs ratio (there are 2 blur, different stages) and play with levels to get better results. -- In my basic experiments with sharpening masks, cartoon or kernel effects were usable at 16 & 32 bpc; in 8 bpc mode find edges is just (rougher) easier and faster. The first post is a tuto by Gardner exploring that exactly effect (for mask sharpening) =)

Kernel mask example on the right