Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood interestingly all my stuff on boom so far plays straight up from camera - no need to switch off to get it to play the latest clip filmed... they are short clips though and close ups of skins under indoor light (for which this works beautifully on btw ) its a small thing but its nice regardless, don't know if this is of any importance just thought i would mention...

• I read it, but im not gonna lie I have no clue what the hell this 444 business is nor will I try too its beyond my intelligence! I trust my eyes, 'Canis skintone soft' has been my go-to setting for EVERYTHING that includes wides aswell as close ups, as wrong as that may seem. The scenes I shot were super contrasty and detailed, to me it looks excellent especially wides as there you can appreciate the wonderful new gradiation. I look forward to a full release an hope you keep this matrix it is excellent!

• @Jizzyjones Don't forget to read my warning: Boom! is best only for mid to tight shots. As a quick checkoff, if the scene youre filming's datarate is under say 140mb you should be fully making use of the setting. Anything above and you are in the danger zone of possible artefacts. Boom! Is a pure over the top experimental setting which is brilliant for closeup skintones.

@jakepowell thnks. Bordeaux countryside is lovely.

• i too have had a brief play with boom . funnily enough with canon FD's they seem to create a rather nice image :) not soft - but from what i gather boom isn't? and as @Jizzyjones stated lovely smooth gradation and colours too :) guna put it more to the test this evening as I'm putting an installation up atm, but i may do a few film clips of that which will be challenging- lots of textures and low light / silhouettes etc :) cheers though hope france treats u well

• I am having big problems with all the latest patches. In camera playback is not working half of the time and for me that is a big dealbreaker. I think the Cluster v6 DREWNET is the best stable patch of the bunch. Great quality and stellar stability in almost all modes.

• Sir Driftwood, first thankyou for your constant endeavor's for the GH2 community. Second ive had a brief play with BOOM-Intra on a couple of FD lens stopped down for optimal sharpness. The bad: I saw some very minor aliasing for the 1st time on GH2 (the aliasing is not noticeable when 2 feet away for my pin-sharp imac screen). The good: These are simply the best images I have seen from my GH2, they have by far the smoothest gradiation of any setting I have used yet were not at all 'soft'. All my clips averaged 148Mbit aswell if thats any use.

• @CRFilms Ill have to test that as well since i too use some cheap Transcend C10 / 32Gig cards as backup. However, i have noticed not all transcends are equal. I have 2 of the 32G cards and one preforms slightly better then the other, both where purchased at the same time and from Amazon. I now use 2 - 32G SanDisk Extreme 45/mb and it smashes through all these patches with ease, spanning and everything. I'm currently getting great results with DREWnet on the SanDisks. The faster cards make your camera recording more responsive as well, the transcends would "lag" a bit when starting/stopping at higher bitrates.

• I just did a test with the DREWNET version and it didn't span on a Transcend 32gb card class 10. It didn't span in either 1080p 24p, 24H or 24L mode. In H mode it recorded around 8.5 min, in L mode it recorded just over 12 min.

The 32gb Transcend does speeds around 13-14mbs write, while the 16gb version did around 14-15mbs. I thought I had tried L mode in the Cluster 6 and it spanned but now I'll need to test that again to be sure. If it won't work, then AN won't be for me, I need a patch that at least spans in 24L mode.

• Sir Driftwood, congrats on the very first and unique "flat-4" Intra settings of Apocalypse Now ! Will test it as soon as possible !

+Enjoy your vacation, you deserved it like no one other :)

• @jakepowell I am sorry to make it get confused, because I was mistaken in the matrix. :-(

Since "TYPE-ZERO" released previously was not an original matrix of Chris strictly, I remade another setting as "TYPE-ZERO1" with the pure original matrix of Chris anew.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/82763#Comment_82763

"what can we expect to see ?"

The result which Chris expected from the first in 24p should be obtained. :-)

• @bkmcwd how does this new valkyrie 444 type zero1 differ from type zero? they both state to have original cbrandin matrix , it this one jus an even purer form ? what can we expect to see ?

• @bangkng twixtor.

@Driftwood nice video, i did hold my finger on the hold button
    That was a wild party, and the up-tempo editing was just.... i really liked it.

btw, did i see some people from the jackass tv-series?

• @lpowell I see in a general way what you mean about smooth/detail, etc, but the first thing I noticed was the difference in the jaggies. On my monitor, FM has straighter lines (going by your very helpful screen grabs) which for the material I shoot is critical; other ppl may have material that is less full of lines.

• @driftwood @cbrandin @all

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO1 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' Released!

Warning! : in this setting, all the modes of AVCHD other than 24p are experimental.

Please keep in mind that artifacts often appears in HBR, 1080i and 720p in spite of being very stable.

These will be improved from now on.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/81033#Comment_81033

@driftwood I congratulate you on your first edition of AN-Intra released! :-)

• @mozes how did you do the slow motion shot in your third video at 1:36?

• @Driftwood thanks for releasing the boom in AN Will definitely test it on a Zeiss 50mm 1.4 tomorrow when I have some time.

• @Lambo @johnnym @botha @oscillian @retrospective @goanna @Mariella @DeShonDixon Thank you all, it really helps me to see that my hard work is liked !! :)

@DeShonDixon Thank you for your interest in my research, I am tweaking the preset for now, when it is ready I'll send it to you. I think it will be a life changer preset, I just need to try making it perfect ^_^

Here is a new video I have made with a couple of gopros and gh2s also with Cluster v6 'DREWnet' 12-15GOP (Try to guess how the lights where made)

NOISE VS DYNAMIC RANGE / LATITUDE TEST

• @LPowell @cbrandin What did you expect with a FM / AN comparison? That FM would be softer!? I am totally bemused as to why any setting let alone FM should even be used as a comparison. This is a totally different matrix.

If you were that unsure that AN wasnt softer try Cluster Nebula v6 as its rate control and GOP structure is not too dissimilar. Ditto cbrandin 66 or DREWnet 12/15 v6 against AN 12/15.

*** NEW EXPERIMENTAL SETTING ***

The new AN 'Boom' Flat 4s setting is now up on page one intended for GOP1.

• @I have still a long way to go...

When you get done post it please. Those are great!

• it works fine in 720p.
    its not the original AN setting, but a gop2 720 setting.

but there is a change in the profiles, shots are done in cinema -2 -2 0 -2 WB 5400k
    Cinema looks like Vibrant, ( i dont have vibrant examples but the collors are to much, specially green)..

Again in cinema.
    First part ungraded, second part graded and overdone.
    those 2 clips are the first test i have done
    I have still a long way to go...

Upscaled to 1080p

• @peternap: LOL, no kidding about the peeping.

• The one thing I haven't looked at is how AN Drewnet Soft handles 720p I already know FM works pretty well in 720

This is a quickie in AN. Without pixel peeking, it look fine. I'll try it on a moving subject later.

460row.png
    1280 x 720 - 771K
  • Is this macroblocking?

atom.png
    270 x 305 - 24K
  • @LPowell - I think @bkmcwd is about to release settings that I know for sure are using the soft pseudo 444 matrices in their pure, unmodified form for 1080p24. It would be interesting to see your test shots with that. Some of these other settings are modified variations of my original matrices which makes them a little difficult to evaluate, at least from a matrix standpoint.

• @cbrandin Yes, the comparison looks pretty much like we'd expect. AN6: softer edges and smoothed details. FM2: Sharper edges and textured details.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions