Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings: Series 6 - COMP Apocalypse Now, Cluster v6, GalaXian GX1, Sedna, Canis, etc...
  • 713 Replies sorted by
  • @onionbrain - Thanks for the mention, love your work :)

• @mozes great submission and music choice!! I like the funky looking stretched clouds.

• @Driftwood I really did try to get a sunrise, but the mosquito's won.

Here is my first entry for the contest Shot using Sedna AQ Max Detail, and panny 14-42 Kit lens. Set on cinema 0-0-0-0.

• I was lucky today, clips are rendering now, when ready i can upload, just hope its in time

• Setting: Cluster 6
    Vibrant -2-2 0-2
    White balans 5400k
    Iso 200
    IDynamic was on standard, and is used.

Original clip settings and play time on video (vimeo video is way shorter 80 seconds or so).
    Not the best edit and music choice, sorry..... i was really very short in time ;-)
    No color correction is done ......

• @driftwood, August 18th is the last date. Is it British time? I have an early morning sunrise shoot tomorrow Saturday then I will render and upload. Today is Friday 17th, if I don't make it in time, I will post it up anyways.

• Hey @driftwood,

Thanks for all your hard work. I shoot primarily documentary style pieces. It is not uncommon for my interviews to run 45 min to an hour. I recently tried the Cluster V6 Drewnet patch on a long interview and it locked up. Tried a second time on a shorter interview and same thing. I'm using a 32 GB 95mbs card. Given that I shoot long interviews and most deliverables are over the web, does it even make sense for me to bother with hacking and patches?

If so, what would you recommend? Thanks for your consideration.

Cheers!

• sunset shot on sedna aq1 with a kowa bell and howell 16h anamorphic and helios 58mm

• @redbaron Thanks for the compliments! I love discussing lighting, so I'm happy to oblige.

Rather than bending a locations natural lighting to our own exposure needs, we use lamps to accentuate existing light sources (windows, doors, lamps, etc.) in tandem with a light meter. This approach preserves a strong sense of naturally motivated lighting while demanding fewer lights (usually only 1-3 per shot, sometimes with a bounce board). While this minimalist lighting approach may save money and reduce the productions gear burden, it also demands significant set-up time (adjusting the intensity of the light to match the natural source seamlessly is particularly time-consuming). This set-up time can translate to less opportunities for shooting "coverage" in a tight schedule. (This is not a bad trade-off in my opinion, as the trend toward shooting tons of coverage has come at the expense of creative decision-making during pre-production; too many films seem to be directed in the editing bay rather than on set these days.)

Importantly, we use lights to compliment, rather than eradicate, shadows. Some cinematographers seem preoccupied with chasing every shadow away, typically requiring complex, expensive lighting set-ups to do so.

Our stylistic decision to shoot in deep focus greatly affects perception of lighting. It's often said that deep focus requires too much lighting, but this is not quite correct: deep focus demands creative lighting. In lack of rack focusing, one is forced to direct the viewer's eye with lighting. I like this creative restraint. (I'm also tired of the claim that shallow DoF is innately "cinematic" whereas deep focus is "video-like". IMHO, this line of thinking has led to an excess of rack focusing test videos and distracting "bokeh" obsession among filmmakers. Shallow focus is a valuable storytelling tool, but for all the talk of its being innately "cinematic", Renoir, Welles, Kurosawa, Ford, Fellini, Kubrick, Wajda, Tarkovsky and many other great directors barely used it.)

Example lighting set-up:

In the shot of the young man watching a woman sleep, we placed a 2K (w/diffusion and daylight gels) outside the window above the bed, creating a subtle spotlight on the woman. We reverse key lit the young man with a 1K (w/diffusion and daylight gels) placed outside a window to his back. We accentuated the natural light entering the open door with a 650, and bounced that light into the main room for general exposure with a bounce board. The oil lamp was carefully placed to cast a warm glow on the woman's face and to add depth to the back wall.

We shot this scene with the Olympus 12mm at 4.0 f/stop and ~200 ISO. FWIW, our total budget was $9670.

Sleep.jpg
    560 x 315 - 44K
  • Greetings from Estonia

Here is my videos for competition. All videos with Sedna hack, no color correction. ( "Sunset on Jupiter" auto withe balance) Best regards, Meelis

• @driftwood @thepalalias what about the competition? Who won?

• Almost succeeded in getting a Sunrise…

+ added some leftover Sunsets to get around vimeos weekly upload limit.

By the way the Sunrise is right above the spot where the Photokina will take place. ;)

ps. The first shot is a split screen: Clouds are Timelapse and the River is @ normal speed

Post_Apocalypse1.jpg
    961 x 540 - 128K
    Post_Apocalypse2.jpg
    960 x 541 - 144K
    Post_Apocalypse3.jpg
    961 x 541 - 94K
    Post_Apocalypse4.jpg
    961 x 542 - 146K
    Post_Apocalypse5.jpg
    961 x 541 - 84K
    Post_Apocalypse6.jpg
    960 x 541 - 166K
  • I ust like to share with you.. as former canon guy and the negativity about the picture mode from the gh2 all over the internet I can say I did not expect this kind of picture quality from my GH2

dean1 small.JPG
    2319 x 1400 - 463K
  • Competition will be extended and open till tomorrow and close at midnight. Results of all entries will be judged by everyone in this thread as in favourite three (in 1st place to 3rd place order). The one with the highest agregate score from all votes will be judged the winner. Get your last minute entries in. :-)

• @sangye Sorry for the delayed response! I'm usually not on here much. It was not actually. I'm just expanding my portfolio.

• Mysteron -2,+2,-2,-2 Using 1/40th on Stock Lens, Sigma Zoom Lens 3.5 and Nikon 50mm 1.8. Filmed in Miami, FL.

For specific questions on any technicalities, I don't mind if you ask.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFxRdVhgYqw

There's a little contest associated with this. Check my blog http://eslkevin.blogspot.com for details. Shot with the Sedna Q20 patch with the Panasonic GH2 and 12-35 f2.8, 20 f1.7 & 7-14 f4.0

The Vimeo version is being uploaded and should be ready shortly.

• Shot with Canis Majoris Day PM Lenses: Nikon Nikor 28mm f2 AIS, Rokinon 35mm F1.4, lumix 14mm F2 with wide converter attached to it, Carl Zeiss planar 85mm F1.4 Genus ND filter. Camera setting: All ISO 160, WB Sun, smoooth -2, -2, -2, -2 mostly used 1/50th, shutter speed.

• I helped my buddy with this video. Shut on a combination of my GH2 using Sedna Q20 A (only account for about 30sec of the entire video), canon Mark 2, and AF100. Originally my buddy didn't wanted to use my GH2 but after he saw the files that came out of the GH2, he said we should have used the GH2 for the whole shoot.

• Since Driftwood extended the final entry time I had a bit of time to clean up one of my two entries. I removed the original from my above but my other entry is still up there, so check it out ;) Anyways, I think most would agree this is a bit better than the other one I had, and definitely a bit closer to my original vision. First video is 1080p the second is 720p, for folks like me without a proper 1080p monitor. If I watch the 1080 vimeo version on my monitor is looks very blocky but the 720p version looks good. Original files are a whole other world of course. Shot using Sedna AQ1 A max detail in Cine mode set at 0-0-0-0 with a Marumi Neo ND 8 filter on a panasonic 14-42 kit lens.

1080p

720p

• Hello Driftwood, thanks a million for having any of us participating

have a look at my blog www.444-films.com

• here goes another one

• .. and the last one

• @jupiter1 You win man,.all the best !!

• Heres the YouTube link to the sunset using sedna i know my phone doesnt load vimeo. Bell&Howell 16h