Personal View site logo
hack for one candle lighting
  • Hello all, I am asked to film a theater set with two characters sat at a table and only lit by one candle hand held by one of the two characters. Could someone recommend of a GH2 hack setting to use in that situation ? I will be using the pana 14 140 mm lens and a Nikkor f1.8 50 mm.

Thank you so much in advance.

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • Use CM Night and try to borrow a 1.2 lens or even a Nokton. Apart from that, going up to 3200 ISO and doing some cleaning with Neatvideo is all you can do.

• Thank you. I'll try CM Night.

• I did some one candle tests: vimeo.com/35196972

• try to rent or borrow a FS100. GH2 produces great results and I like it very much but under these conditions FS100 will perform way better.

• Apparently shooting with tungsten settings will help keep noise down and colors more accurate, too: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4155/daylight-vs.-tungsten-and-the-winner-is...

• There are some special candles(double wick?) that burn brighter than stock, not sure where you can get them, but they're used in films. I wouldn't use anything slower than F3 in lowlight or you'll be in trouble.

IF your fine with B&W, you can use max hacked ISO and B&W and get a real nice image, much better than color at max iso. Another option.

• @CRFilms

Double wick candles www.wicksandwax.com/movie_candles.htm

• That's what Kubrick used in "Barry Lyndon", but I second getting a FS100, it's a night owl.

• @apefos I did some one candle tests: vimeo.com/35196972

Your test is really helpful. Which lens did you use ?

• if i can remember they was: sigma 20mm 1.8 canon fd 24mm 1.4 olympus penf 40mm 1.4 (all wide open)

• I think you must forget to use the 14-140mm. it is to slow for the purpose... you need lenses from f0.95 to f2.0

• @apefos

You are right. 14 - 140 is good glas, but need lot of light. I use lot oly 45 it is just great, and cheep.

• Modify a GH2 to be full spectrum. Then you can shoot IR and perhaps ultra violet.

I have a motified GF1 and it increases dynamic range by about 3 stops.

A modified GH2 could literally see in the dark.

• @mpgxsvcd

How do you modify a GH2 to be full spectrum ?

• Here's more about the use of the f0.7 Zeiss lens with Barry Lyndon

• @suzres Some guys have gone into their GH2s and removed the IR filters, which means the camera can record full spectrum light but needs a screw-in IR filter at all times when shooting normally. Not sure I get why this is a good idea, or when I'd ever use it. File it under "it can be done, so some people did it".

• Just get Nokton 25mm or 17.5mm ... if you can't afford FS100