Personal View site logo
GH3 fimware suggestions
  • 180 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias Isn't that how it is now?

• @RRRR I thought it just said to enable it, not where to do it. It has been a while since I got the message. :)

• Ah, yes that might be correct. :)

• +1 for smarter better organized menus - submenus, etc

• Some simple features that would help (not only) underwater enthusiasts:

"restricted focus range" - my older cameras all allowed to limit the auto focus to "non-near" distances, which is a very important feature if you need to focus in water that has a lot of particles in it that confuse the auto-focus.

"make all functions accessible from the menu" - while most camera owners enjoy having a multitude of knobs, every additional knob on a camera that is strictly required for the camera to be operable means significant additional cost and risk of leakage when building underwater housings. Thus, for an underwater user it may be a very good trade-off to access some seldom-used functions more indirectly via a menu, requiring less mechanical holes & knobs in the housing. This is also important for focus and zoom settings - which are especially difficult to address mechanically in an underwater housing. (Of course, the ultimate help for underwater-housing manufacturers is to just integrate a cheap infrared remote control receiver, which allows to access functions from outside a sealed housing without any mechanical holes at all.)

"automatic grey card use": When enabled, recognize a simple pattern that can be printed on a grey card, and when this pattern is detected in an image, use a custom white balance setting based on the greycard reading (for subsequent video and stills).

"do not make timed trigger and bracketing mutually exclusive" - I always wondered why the GH2's dial is created such that you cannot put the camera on a tripod and ask it to shoot an exposure bracket series 10 seconds from now.

But I guess, after all, the most obvious of all requested features are the ones that are also the most unlikely to be realized by any stubborn big corporation: Don't fuck your customers by dongling overpriced expendable accessories (like batteries). Don't cripple the camera to ridiculously low recording bit rates. Therefore, I am kind of sure that no matter what the GH3 will bring, it will take a lot of time and a firmware hack until any GH2 user will have a reason to actually upgrade ;-)

• Inexpensive flashcubes.

• Personally I would think they should create programable follow focus for native M43 lenses that focus by wire. Specifically you should be able to manually focus on each end program and then program the timing of the transition. This should not be difficult to do.

• This should not be difficult to do.

All things on earth are not difficult to do :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - Yes please to the full metadata with assignable prefix. Clearly, I wasn't thinking big enough!

• +1 to adding a video game in camera, like space invaders or tetris. +1 to all other realistic requests!

• adding a video game in camera, like space invaders or tetris

I am for Galaxians (Space Invaders clone) :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Finishing the game unlocks 100fps mode.

• Finishing the game unlocks 100fps mode.

Yep, last 999 level won't be easy, and if you take no savings ability into account...

• The use of external "Wifi" created profiles for shooting video/stills would be a good opportunity for the GH3 to emulate some of the very popular app based cameras such as Hipstermatic/Instagram, although a bit gimmicky on a phone, these apps can produce some interesting stills, and the potential for video and stills would IMHO bring more people to the M43 if these features were available on this type of camera. In the future app based cameras are likely to become very popular as the phone market has shown, The potential of using a GH3 alongside an app that could add a wide range of effects may not be what professional cinematographers/videographers are looking for now, but if panasonic chose to include these types of effects as an option, I don't see how this could adversely effects the M43 system, but could potentially bring a huge market share of budding phone photographers into Panasonic's fold.

• @matthere

I don't understand how would anyone benefit from phone photographers becoming target group for GH3. Panasonic is already rich enough. Or not?? In my opinion GH3 should be aimed at low end of pro market, indie, etc. They have other cams in Lumix line that can deal with iphone enthusiasts, and GH3 should be spared of iA iR supereasy auto instant filters, .. as much as possible.

• Galaga is the shit.

• Some kind of USB connectivity, so you can preview the live view, and control the camera, and take photos etc from a computer.

Better screen (colour wise - the GH2's is TERRIBLY red-cast)

• How about a depth map? It has been demonstrated but no one has implemented it yet... extract your subject without green screen.

• @inqb8tr There are a lot of professional video makers here on personal-view for whom the process of making movies includes lots of processes to get the best out of their footage. The addition of effects that do anything other than producing the best image for grading probably seems like an odd idea. The addition of Wifi in camera might also appeal to those who want to add a user designed profile prior to shooting so that the footage can be uploaded via the wifi connection without any processing. I'm not looking to restrict the potential pro features of the Gh3, just looking at the enthusiast market where having user profiles might just entice more people to m43, probably a good thing for us all, ie. cheaper prices of both cameras and lenses.

• 4:3 aspect ratio support for avchd... 1920x1440 resolution.

2.33 guideline display for 16:9 aspect ratio.

Fix the noisy ISO bug.

Redesigned eyecup for EVF... so that we can attach a bigger rubber eyecup easily on it.

• I put my GH2 on a jib quite often, so if there is an option to stream via Wi-Fi the best possible view to an iPad or larger monitor, this would make me happy, and help the director with seeing the shot I'm framing.

• When in shooting RAW, display histograms of the RAW data, not the JPEG preview. Ideally do this with the live histogram too; if they don't want to make the live histogram 3-channel (which might take up more space), then display max(R, G, B).

Separate video and still shutter speeds. I hate going back and forth from shooting stills with S to video and having to remember to change the #!@ shutter speed. Allow angles for video shutter speeds, so I can just pick 180 degrees and have it do the right thing for all output frame rates.

Settable minimum shutter speed for stills. That would allow more natural use of A mode in auto-ISO with possibly moving subjects, where you want a certain minimum speed to freeze motion. No, iISO doesn't count; it's too easy to fool it. This would also be useful for adapted lenses where you need a certain minimum speed for hand-holdability.

Faster delete option for pictures (maybe option for no confirmation, or something quick like a double press of the delete key).

When in M mode with what appears to be a dumb flash on the hotshoe, don't limit the shutter speed and do "fire" the flash, regardless of whether the shutter speed is beyond the camera's rated sync speed.

Electronic follow focus capability would be excellent. Right now you have to hope that the camera does the right thing when refocusing while recording.

• +1 for proper names for video modes. This FS/FSH/HBR stuff is just nonsense and confusing. I want to see it displayed as something like 1080p25, 720p50, 1080p24[hbr] or similar.

• Tethered shooting of stills (lightroom), better yet control of focus/zoom/exposure via USB (electronic follow focus), best of all: live view via USB (remote camera operation) that would allow for so many things!

• Setting the white balance by a grey card in the center-focus point would be a huge time saver and really cool for video (where you can't shoot raw and do it later.)