Personal View site logo
GH3 fimware suggestions
  • 180 Replies sorted by
  • Add "Ride of the Valkyries" to slide show music

This can be done with patch, I think :-)

• I don't think I saw this, but some sort of LOG S,C output capability.

Also 422

And work with an iPad APP that can control the camera and also be used as a touch screen follow focus.

Proper timecode and jamability

• Owner info on splash screen.

• I think if they'll make the mobile app, it is good idea to move most expert settings to it.

So, poor consumers won't be distracted.

I have very big doubts that someone will make 422 color encoder especially for filmmakers.

• — Less cryptic video mode names (i.e. 1080p24, 720p30, 720p60, etc.)
    — User adjustable framing guides with factory presets at 2.35:1, 2.39:1, 1.85:1, and so on, with the “overscan” areas (optionally) slightly shaded.
    — Fix the ISO bug.

• +1 for fix iso bug + Fix the shadow flicker issue/more predictable response in shadows, etc.

• Some kind of HDMI secure locking solution, either as an accessory or implemented into the design. Also an A - B focus pull solution like the Sony Z1 had would be cool.

• I would like to have an option to automaticaly save my raws in DNG format on the card.. It could save a lot of time for some people , also a rack focus with touch mode? I mean.. you enable the rack focus.. set the speed of focusing... and you focus on some person... and when you need to focus on another person you would just click with your finger on the display on the second actors head and it would automaticaly perfom a slow focus on him.. it could be a partialy alternative to follow focus

a waveform monitor , 2,35:1 letterboxes and timelapse mode were allready mentioned by others..

• -Flash-sync shutter speed from 160 at least till 500-600 (1000 would be def better). -9fps stills. -intervalometer for selectable fps in video mode. (already mentioned) -Internal stabilizer for manual lenses.
    -motion detection trigger selectable for stills (1-9fps) and video of course with selectable framerate 2-120fps.(kinda hardware stuff). - tablet apps. (already mentioned)

• Hmm actually a higher flashsync shutter speed might just be possible since the G5 has a full electronic shutter now. LX series flashsync would be nice.

Oh and shutter speed of 1/48 please :)

• Display: Addition of the following as both a convenience and as “Branding”

• In the “Version Display” add “VK 3.7.XXX” and a very brief description of the patch used (if any), say up to 5 character or digits

• In the Movie Mode, add data rates info to the resolution and frame info. For example: “1080p60/150” the 150 being the data rate at 150 mbps

As “Branding” – The VK Hackware offers tremendous values to the G series cameras, and as such it deserves to be proudly displayed as a trade mark. Remember in the analog world of the past, the “Dolby” trademark was everywhere. The VK Hackware deserves the same respect (and IMO license fees)

As convenience - I have a GH2, GF2 and GF3, and after a while I totally forget what hackware and data rate I have in each of them (each is different). This display is highly welcome for old folks like me

• @Dazza

The flash is disabled on the G5 when using the electronic shutter mode.

• Fix the goddam aperture adjustment time when zooming on m43 lenses!

• +1 for ETC mode (toggle on/off) while recording

• @mpgxsvcd Darn, that pretty much kills any chance of there being global shutter then

• how about a way to select aperture or shutter speed without pushing in the dial? How many times I'm playing with exposure only to see I've changed my shutter instead of iris. You should be able to lock onto one or the other

• The ability to use the focus ring on lens for something other than focus

• Did anyone suggest, allowing the user to use a custom gamma curve to control how highlights are clipped. Or to compress more dynamic range into the image (aka super nostalgic mode). for more flexibility in post.

Hdr video, dual exposure video recording as in magic lantern hack. or like the Red Cams highlight protection aux video track.

Thanks for all your hard work Vitaliy!

• I foresee very little change. Just proper 25p/30p/60p at 1080 would be suffice.

• I foresee very little change. Just proper 25p/30p/60p at 1080 would be suffice.

Nick, it is not rumors topic, it is topic about firmware suggestions.

• Setting highlight clipping to 80 or zebras if added.

Being able to assign all Fn buttons to any function - for instance toggle on/off focus assist, toggle on/off highlight function, toggle on/off histogram (or any new assistants. In case they add focus peaking or WFM to camera.) The current mode for focus assist bugs me so bad I just turned it off. If it could be toggled on and off like on other cams instead of just popping up while using the focus ring on a Panny lens, and the waiting for it to disappear, that would be great.

Spot meter sample area overlay so you can visually see the boundary where the in-cam meter is reading. (also toggle on/off with Fn button)

Toggle off EV meter and use %IRE readout like with HVX200 when using spot meter would be much more helpful.

Ability to store custom settings so not limited to 24H and 24L but also 24C1 24C2 24C3 so you can have multiple data rate patches for multiple uses - use the extreme Bit Rate patches when needed, but the ability to switch to a spanning lower setting without having to apply new patch.

• ptools in camera..

• @mozes

Sane suggestions :-)

• I'm afraid most of these suggestions are rather unrealistic if not insane :)

Even though this is Panasonic's flagship, keep in mind that we are still talking low cost, average customer camera here.

I'm personally quite happy with the "leaked" specs, but would love to see good focus peaking (which isn't an unrealistic thing, just some coding)

• Higher HBR bitrates, no iso bug, no lcd gamma changes, better low light performance.