Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, I'm using the pvdog patch on my gf2; for now seems very good! a question, which program you use for editing the gf2 hacked file and preserve the quality of the 44mbit file? thanks!

• cake is now at 2.2... going to have to try that , I liked cake 2.1 VPdog and cake have been my favorites on the GF2 for patches that span.

• cake 2.3 is working great on the gf2, I wished the gh2 had also a higher and a lower HBR setting FSH/FH

• Some test results -1080i60 - SanDisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s

Originally posted here: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57502#Comment_57520 , this topic might be more appropriate.

Average bitrate (bps):

Sanity 5 - 20.5M

Flow Motion 1.11 - 29.7M

cbrandin 44 - 33M

Cluster v1 - 33M

Cake 2.2 - 48.6M

PVdog - 45.5M

Sedna AQ1 C - 87M

Mysteron - 81M

Mysteron Burst - 59.4M (low detail scene)

Orion v4b - 90M

Canis Majoris DayPM - 79.6M

Canis Majoris Night - 81.8M

Canis Majoris SkinTone Soft - 83.5M

EDITS: adding stuff as I test it

I spent hours analyzing screen grabs from all these and my conclusions are: All intra settings will give you about 91Mbps which does NOT translate into any better resolution or image quality, very often image quality actually deteriorates in high detail scenes.

All my tests are done @ 1080p30, your bitrates will be higher at 1080p25.

FlowMotion1.11-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    Cake2.2-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    pvdog-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    MysteronStandard-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    SednaAQ1-C-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    MysteronBurst-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 48K
    Sanity5-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 46K
    Orion_v4b-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    CanisMajoris-DayPM-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 54K
    CanisMajoris-Night-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    CanisMajoris-SkinTonesSoft-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    cbrandin44-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    Cluster-v1-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 50K
  • We have our feature film shoot underway with GF2 running 40 mbits. Awesome footage - very happy. Shooting mostly in "magic hour" for the superb light. Patch is "PVDOG".

I use a monopod a lot - and find it important to keep auto stabilization on.

• @pvdog, any news on your patch (settings) ?

• Patch from first message. (30MB/s) Color grading in Magic Bullet Looks.

• @zinin Very good footage, perhaps the best I have ever seen on GF2. I think that your footage could beat canon 7d/60d/550d (and they cost at least twice than GF2).. What lens have you used? Kit 14-45? Or panny 20 mm? I find that stabilization is very good too. It's common to get very shaky video made with GFx cameras on vimeo, however, I think that it's due to the fact that many GF2 owners are just amateurs. What kind of stabilization/rig have you used?

• @AlbertZ pancake 14mm with flycam nano and nikon 50mm 1.4

• Great video, zinin. I watched it to the end. Very nice. Each shootage / cut isn't longer than about 3 seconds. Is that right? Seems to be a good way to keep the viewer interested.

Thanks for sharing.

• @ zinin, what patch setting did you use?, good looking footage for 30mbps stuff, did you do anything besides magic bullet to the footage? like sharpening of any sort etc.

• @Ebacherville I use setb.ini from @stonebat from first message in this topic.
    Settings on camera: (To preserve details in the shadows) Rec Mode -> My Color -> Cust: Color: -3 Saturation: -2 Contrast: -5 Manual Focusing and Aperture on 50mm lens. No more action in post-processing.

In next time I try to lock shutter to 1/60 in the menus under Flicker Reduction. And use polarization filter.

• @zinin Nicely done. I enjoyed it. Wow pretty girls.

As long as the lighting isn't so horrible, GF2's automatic mode usually nails the exposure correctly to maximize dynamic range. Many times better than my manual settings on GH2. In low lighting, the iA mode does the wonder. As @Rambo and others discovered, it's not always about high bitrate. Good stabilization helps capture good details. Looking forward to seeing more footages!!!

• It may be worth in this topic to collect tips and successful settings for GF2, or links to similar tutorials?

• "It may be worth in this topic to collect tips and successful settings for GF2, or links to similar tutorials?"

+1

• @zinin thanks for your nice footage, I love the esthetics, works very well with these kids... I tried out your settings, but as always with these sometimes very confusing/caotic menus of panasonic and especially with the gf2, something is driving me crazy. May be someone can help: when I am in rec mode->my color and put on your settings, using panasonic 14mm, the aperture just stays still on 2.5, even if I hold the camera into bridest light, the shutter would flip up to 1000 but still with a 2.5?! gettin mad... read through the (wonderful!) gf2 manual... nothing. I checked if I somewhere locked the exposure at that value, but no. And like this its impossible to work with. Any ideas?

• Gameb, to change the aperture select the icon onscreen under the qmenu icon and slide the slider to he desired aperture setting. The camera will still change exposure to what it meters with an auto lens in video mode, but with a manual lens you can set aperture and it won't change.

• @Rambo that was very kind and helpful - I got it. Very weird anyway I think some of the GF2 stuff...

• Yep, going back and forth between the gf2, Gh1 and gh2 is driving me crazy in use. So many things the same, but also so different. I found it helps to assign each camera to a specific task and use the custom menu in all three to save favorites ect. I've also put notes in my iPhone on the workflow procedures that work on each camera.. getting old and forgetful doesn't help either,..hhaha

• the gf2 and gf3 are very capable bodies if your in controlled settings.. and they even handle changes in lighting pretty well. I prefer the all intra patches , Sedna C or Mysteron at this point depending on what I'm going for , Mysteron seems more "framey" to me.. The Sanity 5 patch seems very interesting to me now with huge Iframes.. plan on testing this also.

But what we have proven is even the lowly GF2 and GF3 are very capable cameras even with their limitations at this point. I've seen stuff that really blows me away when I compair it to other "professional" footage.. were talking 20k cameras and 10k lenses.. Got some stuff of a 5d II the other day.... looked OK but the detail was on the level of a GF camera.. seriously these cameras are amazing for the price point once hacked.

Now by comparison to the GH2, they do lack a bit but for a low budget solution they are simply amazing cameras.

Really if your shooting scene by scene and less than 5 minutes each the Intra frame patches are really amazing on the GF bodies. And you can use cheap cards like transcend for that also... for low budget film making the GF bodies are amazing. Add on top of that very nice lens choices in legacy stuff for cheap you have a great combo.

• @Ebacherville "for low budget film making the GF bodies are amazing" I hope we will watch soon short film/low budget features with GF bodies. It seems to me a paradoxe to me that short film festival are full of short film realized with canon 600d , kit lens and only a 50mm when at the same price you can get a GF body with very fast lenses, and better quality!

• Ebacherville (or anyone else with similar experience), it sounds as if you have some successful experience with the GH2 in shooting with all-intra patches. Of all those you've used, do you have any successful experience in shooting in 1080 60i FSH, where the shots have been up to 5 minutes or more, and where the scenes involved heavy detail and quick movement? I use SanDisc Extreme Pro 95 MB/s, 64 GB cards exclusively, but find that all the Driftwood (and others') programs I've tested, using I-Frames exclusively, crash or freeze up the camera either constantly or after a few seconds, when faced either with heavy detail and/or quick movement. By the way, you mentioned the Sanity 5 - no matter what I've thrown at it in 1080 60i FSH, its been rock solid, though the Sanity 4.1 provided very quick total freezes. I'd appreciate very much any successful experience you might have in stable shooting under demanding conditions!

• @Davidz, did you mean GF2?

• Preetam:

Thanks so much for your inquiry and question of my post! No, unfortunately, I meant GH2, which is my camera - this thread came up in response to my inquiry of a search machine re hacks for the GH2, and I failed to spot my egregious error. My bad.