Personal View site logo
Want to help test the GH2 in L.A. this Sunday April 15th, 2012?
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • @Grue That would be great. :)

@Jodan Thanks for following up on that.

• @Jodan It looks like your efforts paid off. :) I just got an e-mail from someone that plans to bring a hacked GF2 to the comparison.

• @Grue Wishing you a strong recovery.

• I'm afraid I can't be of any assistance since I'm in Denmark. But kudos for doing it. Looking forward to see what the result is gonna be. Since I just finished a 360° film I got seven GH2 on hand(including 32gb class 10 cards). If there is any one in the Copenhagen area willing to do something similar to what thepalalias is setting up, I'd be interested. One idea might be to take their experience and dive in to details of their findings. And since I don't wanna hi-jack thepalalias thread, pm me if interested, then we can setup a separate thread. Again, looking forward to the result of your test.

• @christianmainland Maybe if you get some interest, you could do the follow-up when Cluster v2 and Canis Majoris are released? Always new things to test. :)

• Sure, but I'll properly need a bit of assistance, I'm not that savvy in terms of testing(like most guys I'm more visual than analytic:-)). But yes, whenever your'e through with your stuff I'd gladly chime in.

• @thepalalias This is great news! Thank you for the heads up!

• UPDATE 4: I am currently in the process of dividing up the settings. So far the confirmed shooters (and there are a couple that said they will be there but have not written back yet) have chosen to start their shoots with:

• Sedna AQ1 A
    • Mysteron Burst
    • Orion V4B (partial testing)
    • Sanity v4.1
    • mpgxsvcd - no Adverse Effects
    • EOSHD Unified 88
    • GOLGOP 4.13 (not Sedna)
    • Cake 2.2

I do not know what the hacked GF2 will be shooting yet and am waiting to hear back.

At the moment, we only have enough camera bodies people to test ONE of the following three.

• Mysteron
    • Flowmotion 1.11
    • Factory Settings 1.1
  • Any news on the test? Thanks

• @Tinbeo There was a lot of testing last night and we are in the process of compiling and comparing. There were a lot last minute changes to the roster and some slight unexpected technical difficulties, so we may be doing supplemental shooting soon as well.

Still, 7 people showed up with their cameras and lenses and I was able to shoot a small amount of footage with my GH2 and GH1 at factory settings in addition to that. It was quite an experience and I think everyone got a lot out of it. When the compiling is finished, you will get to see how these settings look when shooting with a Panasonic 14-140 and 20mm, a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 and shooting wide open with a Voigtlander Nokton.

As a bonus, some of the people stayed long enough for "camera conga line" of lens swapping, where you could see the same subject shot wide open with a number of different lesnes, wide open, with the ISO being adjusted to compensate.

Now, until I have a chance to review the footage, it remains to be seen how many pairings are close enough to compare. But one that I am looking forward to (that should be very close in the way it was shot) is the Mysteron vs Mysteron Burst one, which were consistently shot side by side at the same time.

It should be noted that Mysteron Burst fared much better than expected, performance-wise. Our clips may have been relatively short, but Dimitrios tells me that he only got one write speed error with it during the whole night (shooting a high detail tree shot).

• @thepalalias Can´t thank you enough for putting this together. I think you had a lot of fun yesterday; that´s the advantages of living on a big city vs a small hamlet!

• @thepalalias

That sounds like you got a ton of great data. Can't wait to see the final results.

• @thepalalias Did the person with the GF2 show up? If not, was there a chance to catch up on that when doing supplemental shooting?

• @Jodan The user with a GF2 has not contacted me in several days. I hope they are alright, but I do not see any way to shoot GF2 footage unless I hear back from them.

@Kihlian @mpgxsvcd Thanks, I am waiting for most of the people to get their data uploaded to the FTP right now. So far 3 of them have uploaded their footage or nailed down transfer plans.

• Ok. Thanks for the heads up.

• I'm in Eagle Rock. I missed that, but if you're planning to do further tests, I'm in.