Personal View site logo
35mm F1.4 Samyang or Rokinon Prime Lens
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat

Damn! I really don't know if I even tested it with a fast focus till now. I'm one week over Amazons return policy and contacted Rokinon. They said they'd be happy to replace it with a new unit if it's not defective but I have to pay to ship it back and inclose a $15 check so they can mail me a replacement. I think that kinda sucks for a 5 week old lens that's barely been used twice. Not so sure about the company now but damn, when you get a good one they are great for the money! Lesson learned I guess.

• I did. It had some play, too. So I returned it.

• I just realized when I focus quickly with mine it sounds a little rough. Nothing crazy but not at all smooth when it's racked at a normal rate. Anyone else out there experience this?

• Wow, I hope it wont be a lot more expensive. This looks really nice!

• Just saw this on Facebook Rokinon group: Introducing THE new Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens

Looks to have gears for focus and iris!

rokinon-35mm-cine.jpg
    720 x 561 - 36K
  • @alcomposer Yes, in the Video Friendly Lenses thread, I listed focus breathing as "Constant Field of View" (in order to make "yes" a positive rating). Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/p1

• @joeevento

I moved both videos to http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2834/breathing-tests-of-various-lenses

So, I removed one test here as it is not related to Samyang 35mm

• I found this test ...

• Isn't this already discussed on "Video Friendly Lenses" topic? But possibly crowd sourcing could give a definitive Yes-No.

• May be it'll be good idea to make special topic for breathing tests?
    What do you think, guys?

• Thanks for doing the test. It will be interesting.

• With the Nikkor 35mm f2 I tested the breathing on a vertical pillar about 3m away from me pulling from minimum focus to infinity. I left empty space of about 10cm at the side of the pillar, after the pull the pillar filled the frame. I would say if you want to do focus pulls, do them very slowly as to blend in with the image shift and/or plan your framing so it doesn't become an issue.

I will test both lenses on AF-100 when I can and post the results.

• Anyone use the Nikkor 35mm AI-S? How's the breathing on this lens compared to the Samyang 35mm?

• I've been using the Samyang 35mm on a few of the DSLR's lately. I would say it suits the Canon 5D, the best in terms of usable focal length range. However it breathes very noticeably when racking focus making it unusable for large focus pulls. On APS-C sized sensor its the equivalent of 56mm so you get a standard FoV.

I have yet to try it on M4/3 which may be the most interesting of the lot due to it's crop factor. The more the image is cropped from the center, the better it will be for those focus pulls as the 'breathing' becomes less noticeable.

Eye-lash sharp :)

• Thanks @alcomposer for the info Think I will go with a Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter for canon and samyang 35mm video lens. Thanks for all the advice and review.

• @apix: No electrical connections work on anything that is not: micro 4/3 rd's- 4/3 rd's

• I assume Nikon/Pentax versions focus confirmation chip doesn't work with GH2

• Does barrel extend when focusing, breathing ?

• Nikon/Pentax versions have focus confirmation chip.

• Thanks @Nomad Think I will go with the canon, 35mm video lens. =)

• Yes, the Nikon version is focusing to the opposite direction.

So, it depends on what you are used to, since it can be very annoying to always try to correct the wrong way when shooting…

• Is there any difference between the canon or nikon versions? =) Thanks @tommyboy for the info on the adapter

• I prefer Nikon versions.