Personal View site logo
Is there a patch against jelly?
  • I am doing a lot of tele-shots. If the cam vibrates a little bit, which is hardly seen and would not disturb the viewing, parts of the picture show an clear visible jelly. Is there a patch, which can help against this? Is this a rolling shutter- or a codec deficiency? Specially, if I shoot in ETC. Thanks.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • No. Sorry. I would suggest using a VR lens... (obviously something Panny m43 for electrical connections)

Haven't you ever wondered why Wild World of Sport uses those massive cameras with big block lenses? VR baby...

• You could also give this a try: http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/ Then again for the money you get a lens with OIS as well..

• Hi Meierhans, thanks for your help. Since I have a very long lens (Tamron 200-500) with no Ois (and if it would have OIS I would have a problem with pans and tilts) so I am very interested to hear, if such a program works well. Do you or somebody else have experiences with such programm? Thanks.

• It has a 30 days trial. Just download and see if it works for you. Herr are some useful numbers: http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/training/

Its interesting that using ETC basicly halfs the effect technicly.

• That's to be expected, since a smaller part of the sensor is read, so it's faster. Might be a good alternative to using a very long lens under sufficient light.

Regarding the RS tool from The Foundry: it's one of the best, but none of them is working miracles. If there are many different motion vectors in the frame (e.g. vehicles passing at different speed/direction in a pan) you'll still see problems.

If you want to give the tool a hard time, try a clip from a cellphone ;-)

• FWIW: I once had a 7D and was shooting off a monopod outdoors, shots of trains off a bridge near a major train station. There was a little wind and I had no OIS lenses. The tele end of my zoom was ca. 105mm, no problems with rolling shutter. I attached a 500mm mirror lens to it and it was jello city and totally unusable, like I was shooting off a warped mirror at a carnival. It looked kind of funny actually.

• Yes there is. It's called After Effects' Warp Stabilizer and you don't want to know how much it cost. You can also use VirtualDub + Deshaker.

• AEFX is free for 30 days ;-)

• Stabilizers in post actually make jello worst, you are better off shooting correctly with the camera. Skew can be corrected much easier but still requires lots of work.

• True! Shakiness can cover jello up to some degree. Once stabilized it'll look like the image is bending inside the frame.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions