Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • @ricker, thanks. I can confirm with various low gop patches (well, really just quantum 7 and 9) that as per that above post, ISO 640 was really doing great and can confirm from field tests that it totally kicks the ass of anything around it for lack of noise. Find I shoot 160 when I want shallow DOF, 640 when I don't (or do 720p) and 1600 or 4000 for super low light/bit of noise/super slow motion, etc.

• @ricker Read the post... I said 'The last ISO setting before that rise is your sweet spot for low light exposures'.

• Macalincag-> lol, thanks, haven't noticed;)

• @driftwood

the exception I would say is when shooting in a B&W mode. some of those look killer in higher ISO settings.

• @driftwood Sorry, just want to clarify. By sweetspot, you mean the highest possible ISO to use in low light that is useable, correct? You don't mean it is the Best ISO to use? Just want to clarify.

• @driftwood Interesting find on the GH2.

OK, just to clarify that ISO1600 appears to be the "sweet spot" for minimum noise levels.

We all know the even using ISO160 under a lot of light and with a perfect exposure (reported by the GH2), shadows can still show noise.

So under the same lighting, If we set the ISO to 1600 and then used an ND filter to arrive at the perfect exposure (same as above), shadow noise would be lower?

Of course using 1600 under this condition would offer lower dynamic range. Is this correct, I just want to make sure I understand this?

• @proaudio4 Sensor data published by Sensorgen shows that GH2 read noise drops about 12% at ISO 800, and then remains pretty flat until it drops again at ISO 12800:

http://www.sensorgen.info/PanasonicDMC_GH2.html

As you point out, dynamic range inevitably decreases as ISO increases. If you expose your highlights as close to the right of the histogram as you can, the decrease in DR at high ISO will make shadow noise more noticeable than at low ISO.

However, if you don't have enough light for full exposure at low ISO, raising the ISO will give you more latitude at the dark end of the histogram. But given enough light at low ISO, there's no advantage in using a higher ISO - it will only reduce your overall dynamic range. Of course, there's also the infamous GH2 ISO bug to avoid:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/37083

• Beyond 1600 ISO dynamic range drops significantly.

• Thank you for the info, I thought this was the case, I just wanted confirmation. Yes, I tend to stay away from ISO1600 and beyond.

Fortunately , the hack has enabled the GH2 to display fine more natural grain-like noise. It actually cleans up well in post if you choose to remove it. Of course, we all know this! lol

• Well I'm in love w/ this new quantum 9vb patch (not that new anymore); this was the first test I was able to put together this afternoon. Loving it! Thanks again Driftwood.

• If I can add something to the high ISO conversation, I will note that being fearful of going higher than 1600 can occasionally ruin your shot more than noise will on a hacked GH2.

I shot a performance the other night at mostly 1600 (old Canon habit of never daring to go above it) and switched 3200 for the last few tracks. Oh, how I wish I'd done it the whole time. When we're talking about GH2 couscous grain instead of Canon Rice Krispies - an underexposed shot is a much worse fate.

• can anyone tell me which is the best and most stable card for quantum 9vb?

• @stanlymanly2 Sandisk 64 GB 95MB/s

• @paglez Thanks! i guess its time to save up! 499 retail :| ayayayayayayayay

• SD is not 499. Picked mine up for about £150.

• Great Work @L1N3ARX what Lens did you use?

• @stanlymanly2 I'm using the Q9b and a Sandisk 16gb Extreme 30mb/s It's working fine for me.

• @stanlymanly2 $189.95 at B&H these days.

• @Tifose It was a sigma 30mm 1.4

• i just updated form AQUAMOTION ver1 Experimental patch withs works great without any error to Aquamotion ver2
    And that gives a write error in 720p mode, but only if i shoot someting in 24p H first.
    1 file was saved, so i uploaded it, there is nothing strange to see in the clip, exept the movement just before the error popt up. (zooming)

framemode.jpg
    1260 x 674 - 284K
    timemode.jpg
    1255 x 855 - 304K
    last recorded frame.png
    1280 x 720 - 540K
  • I´m really enjoying Driftwood´s Quantum 9b, the amount of detail is incredible! Even Vimeo´s H264 compression doesn´t put that away

• @ Silent users of my patches :-)

I improved a few in order to stabilize "GOP3ZILLA" more. At the same time, I has also created the "MAX" version to slightly higher quality in the high-resolution scene by increasing the maximum frame size limit. In the "MAX" version, but may become large enough that can not be played in the camera frame size in some case, the file has no problem that has been recorded.

Of course, these are also the patches focused on image quality which referred to advice from Chris Brandin and Nick Driftwood, and was made.

Special thanks to @cbrandin and @driftwood!

NOTE: *24L mode is for 24p80%(30p). *Except 1080/24p, it is completely the same as my usual, and they are the contents of Chris's 66M. Of course, you can combine with your favorite patch except 24p and 50i. *In camera playback is available with "GOP3ZILLA v1.01". *In camera playback may not be available with "GOP3ZILLA MAX v1.0" in some case but file has no problem.Please use v1.01 of the normal version for you to be able to playback the recording data on a camera IF IMPORTANT. *Spanning in 24H and 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card.

UPDATE(2012.Feb.9th): New "GOP3ZILLA v1.02" 1M Max Frame Size patch is added. *I improved a few in order to stabilize "GOP3ZILLA v1.01" more. *This is the patch focused on image quality which referred to advice of Chris Brandin and Nick Driftwood, and was made. *24L mode is for 24p80%(30p). *Except 1080/24p, it is completely the same as my usual, and they are the contents of Chris's 66M. Of course, you can combine with your favorite patch except 24p and 50i. *In camera playback is available. *Spanning in 24H and 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card.

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA v1.01.zip
    600B
    bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA MAX v1.0.zip
    604B
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_trees_wide_sp.JPG
    1296 x 633 - 194K
    GOP3ZILLA_MAX_trees_wide_i_ey.JPG
    1148 x 675 - 182K
    GOP3ZILLA_night2_sp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 181K
    GOP3ZILLA_night2_i_ey.JPG
    1202 x 711 - 96K
    bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA v1.02.zip
    611B
    GOP3ZILLA_v1.02_night_sp.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 170K
    GOP3ZILLA_v1.02_night_i_ey.JPG
    1257 x 832 - 108K
  • This is my attempt on Hacked GH2 for that matter any Gh2 and I came directly from neo Palaeolithic, having Sony Z1 as last extensively used Camera and DVX 100 before that, barring few hours of fiddling with 7d,5d and Gh2. Shot on Quantum100 24H Smooth -2,-2,-2,-2 . It is a student short Film. There were all kinds of situations. And hack never failed in 24H even using extele on 32 GB 30MB/.

There were noise more than usual (now I don’t have any reference as such … never shot on stock, so spoiled!!), and I was aware of noise bug and tried to avoid it. But shoot was hectic and hence might have made some mistake. I think Noise is function of Film Mode, Film mode settings, ISO, Light, extele, exposure and Patch. But I like noise structure … pleasing. Shot using mostly Canon FD 50mm 1.4 and few shots were on kit lens 14-42. None in this Video.Very good patch which holds very very well while grading. I j wanted to try Quantum 9vb. But I want something which can playback in camera, which can be shown to actors and director. Specially when we are shooting on real locations and one has to keep low profile for both for authenticity of the film as well as for the Police. Few police officers caught us and asked us to shoot without tripod and hence all outdoor scenes are handheld, I did not had any stabilisation tool nor even Gorillapod  But then Quantum100 is meant for documentary style filmmaking.

• @ Silent users of my patches again :-)

I improved the previous Economical patch and gave the name of "natural." Originally, I made this because I wanted a patch that keeps the frame size of 1M wielded much as the camera up and down in the forest I have always tested. I took just the right balance of quality and data size as a patch that I use everyday. Of course, this patch is also made so that big frame size as occasion demands may be utilized and the lowest possible qp may be realized.

NOTE: *24L mode is for 24p80%(30p). *Except 1080/24p, it is completely the same as my usual, and they are the contents of Chris's 66M. Of course, you can combine with your favorite patch except 24p and 50i. *In camera playback is available. *Spanning in 24H and 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card.

bkmcwd natural.zip
    596B
    natural_night_sp.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 179K
    natural_night_i_ey.JPG
    1153 x 765 - 95K
    natural_trees_wide_sp.JPG
    1296 x 631 - 199K
    natural_trees_wide_i_ey.JPG
    1080 x 515 - 99K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions