Personal View site logo
Best mikes
  • Topic to discuss pricier mikes ($300 and up mostly).
  • 16 Replies sorted by
  • Here's a list of large diaphragm condenser mics that I've enjoyed using on commercially released recordings, listed in order from most expensive (ca. $7,000 to $10,000 US) to least expensive (ca. $400 US).

Telefunken ELAM 251-E (selectable discrete multi-pattern pickup)
    Neumann U87 (selectable discrete multi-pattern pickup)
    Neumann TLM103 (cardoid pattern only)
    Rode NT2A (selectable discrete multi-pattern pickup)

In addition, the microphone one of my colleagues uses most often for foley (sound FX) recording is the Rode NT1A because of its low self-noise.
  • Here's a list of ribbon mics that I've enjoyed using on commercially released recordings, listed in order from most expensive (ca. $3,100 US) to least expensive (ca. $810 US).

Royer R122V
    AEA R92

I've also heard some beautiful dry recordings coming out of the Coles 4038 and 4040, as well as the AEA R84 (I got to try either that or the R92 but not both last time), vintage Tannoy ribbons and the classic RCA44. Also almost any of the other Royer ribbons. I would love to try any one of those microphones and advise you not to pass up the chance if you get one.

All of these microphones are top-quality with their own character and the question of "which is best" becomes a matter of personal taste (and specific application).
  • In the "still a chunk of change but not quite as expensive" category, one intriguing option is Cascade Microphones. This is the one they offer that I've been most intrigued by so far (though many of their earlier microphones made me think "good value for the money, but they make me miss my more expensive mics).

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_X-15.html

It's a stereo ribbon microphone with a surprisingly nice timbre for the price. I'd love to compare it to some of the others.
  • I have one of these B6 Countryman Lav's (wired):

http://www.countryman.com/store/product.asp?id=5&catid=4

Only used it once...anybody want to buy it? ;)
  • @thepalais That cascade X-15 you linked to sounds wonderful! Blumlein's stereo techniques require crossed figure-of-8 mics and from the samples there, these produce amazing stereo. Don't know what they'd be like with quiet sources, but this is pretty damn wonderful on the saxes.
  • Sennheiser ME66/K6 is a great short shotgun for acquiring location audio and even works well for voice over work. It's my do everything when I'm not using lavs.
  • I wish i could get a TLM49 and SM7 for vocals. Royer 121 for guitar cab. I usually use 57/58. Wish i could 'Hot-Rod' my MXL69ME. I've been out of the loop. Need to go to AES. Put these in front of a 1073 or LA610 II and your set.

Best mic is dependent on voice, music style, specific application-(drums/bass,guitars, or vocals), mic-pre and environment if you want to get into 'audio pixel-peeping'. ;)
  • My top mics roughly in the order that I use them:

Schoeps, including the MK2H, MK21, MK41 The 41 is the best video mic
    Sennheiser MKH40 (best all round mic), MKH20 MKH30, MKH 80 The MKH 30 is one of the best fig 8
    DPA 4003 (most chocolatey omni)
    Neumann TLM 170R (most underused Neumann, perhaps)
    Audio Upgrades modified AKG 460s with omni, cardioid and hyper capsules--best midpriced mics
    Coles 4038, 4040 Awesome ribbons. 38 for voice, 40 for everything else
    Sank modified Beyer M130 one of the best mics ever
    Earthworks omnis--noisy, but open and natural
    Josephson--terrific niche mics
    Beyer MCD 100 This is a rare digital mic. Possibly the second best Vocal mics after my custom Rens Heijnis.
    Stellar CM-6 Is it a clone? Whatever it is, it sounds very good if you like tube mics.
    Elation KM201 Cardioids--slightly better than Oktava, very similar
    Oktavas--I never use these, they sound fine, I just show them to students
    Studio Projects B1, ditto, but best super cheap large diaphragm, too heavy to boom

Mics I don't like, sorry, just my taste:
    The Neumann KM184 harsh, spitty, can be good on some sources like modern orchestra, not as good as KM201
    Sennheiser 8000 series--worse than the classics, bright
    New Telefunken -- prefer 4003 or old Telefunken
    Rode--these mics always come up slightly short. I want to like them, I take them apart, the electronics are top notch, but the capsules sound slightly off to me.

• @DrDave We all have at least one mic that our colleagues like but we don't. I feel the same way about SM57 vocals. :]

As far as Rode, the vocal mics have a different feel in the highs than some competitors, so I'm curious as to whether that might be part of what's tweaking your ear? They often cut well in a mix, but can be more difficult to blend, too.

As for the KM184, most people I talk to prefer the earlier models you mentioned, but few of them have compared to the KM184D. If you ever get the chance, I'd love your impressions on that one specifically. I greatly prefer it to some of the other digital mics from the same Neumann/Sennheiser family.
  • @Mark_the_Harp Yeah, I'm intrigued as well. :) It seems to have been very clearly inspired by the Royer stereo mics (Royer SF-12, Royer SF-24 and more recently Royer SF-24V) but I haven't compared. I do like the way it sounds in their brass examples, though.

Small typo: my handle is "thepalalias", though I admit I sort of enjoyed the pseudo-French spin of "thepalais". :) No worries, though: every time I seen "Blumlein" I have to read it twice because I'm so used to reading "Blumenstein" from the time I spent consulting for Blumenstein Ultra-Fi.

• Wow, praise for the Senn me66/k6 mic system in this thread. I own one :/ Soundies love to trash them. I think they're not bad and have a place in the world of the DSLR since they don't need phantom power. I'm sure they're better than the RODE vidmic that everyone seems to own and use for every single purpose. I use my Oktava 12 a lot!

• @DrDave Also, I'm jealous that you got to work with the Coles. AEA didn't have any in stock back when I wanted to try one on Joanna St. Claire's album "Stream", though the R92 and TRP combo they had in stock did everything I could have hoped for on that session.

• @palalias of course it is just taste or preference! The 184 and its related 140, I AB'd my pair against the modded Oktavas, and the modded Oktavas sounded better, so I sold the 140s to someone who records a lot of modern orchestra. The Rode's were OK, just seemed to have an added color that was slightly artificial and slightly bright. Listening to some old tracks with the original Telefunkens they are a bit noisy and rolled off, but they have a special sound. A borrow, not buy, item :)

• @DrDave Okay, that gives me a better sense of your acoustic preferences. Always good to know. :)

By the way, if you ever find the comparison recordings you made of the 184 and 140s against your modded Okatavas, I would love to hear them. It sounds like a heck of a mod if that was the result. :)

• AKG Blue Line Series. Particularly CK93 Hyper Capsule.

• @Gabo If you are going to go with AKC capsules, fun to buy NOS or used 460 preamps and have Audio Upgrades mod them. @thepalalias the cardioid workhorse for me is neither the Oktava or the Neumann but the old school Sennheiser MKH 40. Dead quiet, lightweight, high output and fabulous sound. If that mic cost $2500 I would still buy it. One of the advantages is the smooth curve in the off axis response, so you can adjust the sound by slightly angling the mic. Most mics have holes or dips that make this problematic. Using the theory that four mics are ten times better than two, use a pair of MKH 40s with a pair of 4003s or MK2hs to shape the bass and round out the treble, as well as add depth, and you have a world class sound for a reasonable price. Toss in a ribbon or two and it's magic.