Personal View site logo
Sound Devices 833 Recorder
  • 18 Replies sorted by
    • 6 ultra low-noise, all-new microphone preamplifiers
    • 8 channels, 6 buses, 12 tracks
    • 6 analog outputs
    • Ultra-accurate timecode
    • 256 GB internal SSD, 2 SD card slots
    • USB-A and C ports for SD-Remote app, linear fader control via MCU, keyboard, and file transfer
    • Dugan Automixing for up to 8 channels

https://www.sounddevices.com/product/833/

• I'll be buying one.

• Can hardly ever get by with six preamps these days.....

• Can hardly ever get by with six preamps these days.....

It is an 8 channel recorder, with 8 analogue limiters (5 more than the 633!).

What are you doing which requires more than 6 inputs? The vast vast majority of my work can be done with that, and I'm a full time professional sound mixer.

And I could count on one hand the number of times I "needed" more than 8 (but I didn't use more than 8, I just survived with what I had, because there wasn't budget for more).

• @IronFilm Fair question! I make music videos. For any typical event that I film, whether it is theatre, dance, concerts, whatever, I like to have a reasonable number of mics to cover the soundfield.
    But, even if I was using four, I would always like to have eight so I can split the XLRs before the preamps for a full backup at a different gain.
    There's other reasons to have eight, like talkback channels. etc.
    For a video like this, I use 8-12 mics.

• But, even if I was using four, I would always like to have eight so I can split the XLRs before the preamps for a full backup at a different gain.

Sounds like the Zoom F8n would be perfect for you with its dual level recording.

Or the MixPre10 Gen2 with its 32bits.

• There's other reasons to have eight, like talkback channels. etc.

833 has a dedicated coms, so you don't need to use up one of your recorded ISOs.

• @Ironfilm
    "Sounds like the Zoom F8n would be perfect for you with its dual level recording."
    Having tested all the preamps, features &c, for the main vendors, the RME UFX with all the routing, backup, and noticeably better sound is what we typically use on a big project. The most recent batch of Tascams, Zooms and SD all tested about the same, almost as good as the RME (but not as good). The SD was a bit more gutsy on dialog, but I preferred the Tascam on Music. The difference was so small I don't think I could have picked them out in a blind test...so, good times as far as the current state of the relatively cheap stuff. And, let's be realistic, preamps are pretty subjective. However, even the 70D has an exceptional design that can be modded up to studio level. The Zooms can easily be daisy chained, and they are handy machines, we have several of them as backups, as well as several of the Tascams which have digital IO.
    "833 has a dedicated coms, so you don't need to use up one of your recorded ISOs."
    Yes, but you need to record the comms for any number of reasons, including copyrights.
    "Or the MixPre10 Gen2 with its 32bits."
    This could really be interesting. The gap in the preamp quality has slowly narrowed. If these pres are another bump up in quality, and there's no weird pumping in the 32 bit implementation, that could be a compelling reason to change over to a new system. I suppose it's either now or soon for this.

• My unboxing (welll... random ramble really!) of the Sound Devices 833 is now online:

• "833 has a dedicated coms, so you don't need to use up one of your recorded ISOs." Yes, but you need to record the comms for any number of reasons, including copyrights.

HUH?? Ummm you know what comms is for on set, why the sound department has this, right?

This could really be interesting. The gap in the preamp quality has slowly narrowed. If these pres are another bump up in quality, and there's no weird pumping in the 32 bit implementation, that could be a compelling reason to change over to a new system. I suppose it's either now or soon for this.

Anything from the F series of MixPre series or better has excellent pre amps, we're spoiled for choice in 2019 if preamps is all you care about. (although, much more than just pre amps matter!)

As for "weird pumping"?? Huh? There is no AGC here.

The difference was so small I don't think I could have picked them out in a blind test...

Exactly! :-)

• Used AES on the 833 for the first time:

• @ironfilm Not sure I know what comms are for, not everyone uses them in the same way.
    There are certain workflows, such as large symphony orchestras, but even documentaries, that require that dedicated recording tracks are used not only for comments from the production team but also from the crew and the performers/speakers etc.

• Impressed with the range of the SD-Remote App for the Sound Devices 833. Handy to have so much range with your tablet to roam with.

@DrDave, comments would be put into the metaData. Coms is for communicating with your team in the Sound Department, usually you're not wanting that to be recorded all the time.

This is how it works on film sets, which is what Sound Devices gear is intended for.