Personal View site logo
Tentacle Sync 'Track E' - New minirecorders with timecode
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, looks nice.

One issue is that 32bit will become standard in 1-2 years.

And it is Zaxcom patent on wireless timecode transmission that is foundation of Tentacle guys business.

If it will be annulled - we can see all major sellers offering such feature, including all wireless systems manufacturers.

• This video is unwatchable. If the device does not have phantom power, it's a no go.

• @4CardsMan

You mean plug-in power for lavs?

• Because these are timelocked, I guess you could combine them to make a timelocked, cable free multitrack recorder (?!!!).
    Just need a preamp.....

• No. If it's only Timecode ≠ wordclock. It's just for NLE sync.

• I'm sure they could make a sample accurate version, I guess the standard box that has p48 and some sort of mixer is not going away anytime soon but I would love to see something with complete integration.

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev - 48 volt phantom power, for powering professional lavs.

• These Track E units don't supply 48V phantom power, but most lavalier microphones do not require 48V phantom power (unless they have XLR connectors designed for plugging directly into a mixer).

The units do provide a bias voltage (up to 5V) for electret lavalier microphones. This is what most wireless transmitters provide and what most professional lavs (from Sennheiser, Sanken, DPA, Countryman, etc.) are designed to work with.

The connector is a 3.5mm locking jack that is wired to the same pin configuration as Sennheiser wireless transmitters use.

• @4CardsMan it's like @davedv says, electret lavs use 5V bias voltage. Electret is a type of condenser too, and 5V serves as phantom power, just not the voltage you're used to. The 48V standard (P48) is something that happened out of convenience - see Wikipedia below. The newest IEC/DIN standard calls for 24V phantom power in new systems.

Wikipedia: "In 1966, Neumann GmbH presented a new type of transistorized microphone to the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, NRK. Norwegian Radio had requested phantom-powered operation. Since NRK already had 48-volt power available in their studios for their emergency lighting systems, this voltage was used for powering the new microphones (model KM 84), and is the origin of 48-volt phantom power. This arrangement was later standardized in DIN 45596."

• @radikalfilm

From pure electrical point of view 48v is much better than 24v, as you can have thinner and more flexible wires while having same or lower voltage drop (losses due to resistance). This is why also you have transformers for electricity transmission, and why 110v US voltage generally sucks (need thick wires that are usually not present in real US homes).

• This product (Track E costs $349.00 on B&H) makes a lot of sense paired with the LUMIX BGH1 camera ($1,997.99 on B&H), which has a TC in/out BNC terminal. Track E has a jam-sync input on 3.5mm jack. A simple 3.5mm Male to BNC Female Adapter Cable ($17.95 on B&H) will connect them. Interesting times. Pro video and pro audio 32-bit float recording hasn't been available before at this price point, or in this form factor. It can't be used for live production obviously, but for what it is, it's incredible value.

• One issue is that 32bit will become standard in 1-2 years.

A year later and 32bit is still not the standard in professional work. Bet this will still hold true even in 3 years time.

Not even my Sound Devices 833 supports 32bit, none of the professional field recorders do. Wouldn't surprise me if the current generation of them never do! (although part of me hopes the 8 Series does get it eventually in the future, even if I never use it, would be nice to know it is there)

• @IronFilm

COVID changed a lot on audio market, especially for pro firms like Sound Devices and Zaxcom as their sales dropped from 4 to 10 times.

Also pro niche firms are becoming too small to go with progress, they need bankruptcies or mergers.

Same thing happened on cameras market, Japanese try to hold against capitalism logic. And they are slowly crushed.