Personal View site logo
Panasonic S1 FF Camera - copy of Nikon Z6
  • 275 Replies sorted by
  • The highlights and colors not in my taste in diplomatic words :)

• Aren't these cams available over in Europe and Japan already? Hoping to see some real world footage. Only thing I've seen is hlg h.265 from eoshd. On a secondary note is it possible to actually search for anything on youtube anymore? If I say search the last week it still has over a week/month/year old 'reviews' come up. Search engines are such garbage these days it's almost unbearable.

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/21760/youtube-intentionally-killed-search-options-for-last-few-days#Item_1

You can use google.com search for videos.

Youtube doing this intentionally in attempt to kill thousand of small channels that are being hit by this thing (in addition to total Google degradation that everyone can see now).

They made also special bug with embedded videos few months ago, also to damage sites and communities that get lot of views via embedded videos.

• Thanks Vitaliy, I thought I was going to loose it as this stuff is just getting insane.

• Newark, NJ (March 28, 2019) - Panasonic has announced that the company will release a software upgrade key for the full-frame mirrorless camera LUMIX S1 in July 2019. As scheduled, this paid firmware upgrade is to further expand the video performance of the LUMIX S1 for advanced video recording. The optional Software Update Key will be available for purchase from authorized Panasonic dealers.

Functions available with the upgrade program are as follows.

• 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 24p/30p internal video recording
    • 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 60p HDMI output
    • Full V-Log recording

May be it is time to revive some traditions

sa7663.jpg
    546 x 471 - 93K
  • Atomos footage shot in raw

• Wow, the look of 'Wise Guys' is very natural, like Arri.

• All is in stock, no shortage in any country, soon big marketing discounts will start

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/items/ci/41828

• To be fair Im impressed Ive found first good thing about this system:

Panasonic Lumix S 24-105mm f/4 Macro O.I.S. Lens $1300

Acceptable price compare to other L lenses. Farther more Nikon Z miss that a lot - wide range zoom with ois. So first point to L system :) Just saying

• BTW if price go down by half let me know :) Lenses not cameras only I mean. Sorry Panas I used to like you but Im not a fanboy

• I got the last S1 from our local store at noon yesterday and there were 3 or 4 more who had asked to reserve one and didn't get one. All I can say is that it's a very nice image with the 24-105 and the dual image stabilization is truly incredible. Yes it's stupid expensive, but it does a bunch of things I want that none of the other ff cams even do one of.

If there's anything you want to know, I'll see if I can sort out how to try it out.

On a side note anyone know how I might be able to adapt all my whole set of vintage OM Zuiko lenses to the L Mount? Not sure there will ever be a demand and haven't see anything out there.

Cheers, Pete

• Just did a quick search and found 1 adapter so far.

"Olympus OM Lenses to Leica L-Mount"

https://www.novoflexus.com/products/lens-adapters/for-leica-cameras/novoflex-let-om.htm

• @PauloTeixeira, thanks for the link. Ouch, but I may have to get one :)

• No hype - just appreciating what works well and what slips (read: af tracking).

p.s. mini donkeys? really people?

• @WalterH

Mini donkeys are symbols of future real family life in capitalism :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"Hi everyone, we're so happy you are here with us today. We'd also like to introduce you to our mini donkey surrogate, Jasmine! We think of her as family."

Only the S1 could handle the mixed lighting of that scene.

• @WalterH very nice footage. I am impressed with the color science as well. I am still on the fence in regards to my next mirrorless camera. I am waiting patiently to see how this camera performs with the Sigma L mount lenses...

• That DR is sorry .How is it "spectacular" when everything around her is blowing out ?

• Here's my first little test with the S1. 4K-60p natural with 1/125 shutter, f/14, auto ISO and sharpness at -5. I didn't have an ND or cir-pol as the kit lens takes a 77mm. Even with the overcast I was blowing out for proper video.

What ever I did with the face tracking auto focus, it wasn't working very well and I got less than 1/3rd of my clips in focus. The screen on the back looks so good, I thought it was nailing it, but when I got home and watched on the 43" hdr display I was super bummed. Lots of work to do to see if I can get that sorted. I'm a little bit suspicious that by putting sharpness at -5 didn't effect the autofocus performance as most of my other tests shots at home have been pretty good in this regard.

Stills auto focus performance is spectacular and the image in both stills and video with the kit lens is very nice. With the sensor being so good for lowlight the auto ISO actually works really well. It's pretty smooth and allows for some very nice effects when shooting in variable lighting.

It is what it is and for f/14 and all it's not too bad aside from the auto focus.

Cheers, Pete

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev On February 1st you said "Special note I never made before - stay away from doing any preorders for both Panasonic S cameras. Keep calm. Just wait around one month."

Can you please tell us some details what exactly you mean by that. Is there another camera coming soon that you would prefer?

Best regards, Wolfram

• I'm actually inches away from buying the S1, only just awaiting the answer to your question Wolfram.

• Hey Guys @metalrulez99 @basschevers @Vitaliy_Kiselev Any News about the Panasonic S1? I Just sold my a7III and the GH5s is almost sold. I'm planing to buy the S1 next week. Should I wait? Don't have to tell me the Secret but just let me know if I have to wait. Cheers

• Panasonic marketing works good with bigger sites

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/10/panasonic-lumix-s1-full-frame-review/#/

sa7943.jpg
    800 x 579 - 39K
  • @andycorleone

Most probably first wave of discounts is further ahead, not week or two. For now just look for free bundled items various sellers can offer.

Panasonic now has good amount of people and software to track prices realtime, even on ebay for new items. Idea is not to allow even $5 discounts without control.