Personal View site logo
Apple will drop their Lighting connector
  • iPad Pro will feature Face ID and switch from the Lightning port to USB-C for the first time.

Change on phones will happen not this year, but next.

Main reason being fact that Apple is quickly loosing market share in such big countries as India and China and number of devices using their connector is dropping.

2019 is expected most troublesome in Apple recent history. In few large countries we could see almost total ban (around 75% tariffs) on Apple products including computers.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Lot of suppliers told same thing. Apple is cutting orders of connectors, cables and chips used for both.

It is expected that same thing will start happening with Mac OSX in few months with Apple starting to cut SDKs and some libraries support, as well as firing developers who aimed at x86 development.

With 2021 Apple can come with only with powerful tablet with attachable keyboard that will replace all notebooks, middle tablets line, and new Mac Mini, all other lines will be cut. FCP X also will be abolished in its current form in 3 years time.

• Apple, or more specifically Steve Jobs, its only positive contribution to the computer/smart phone industry has been the gorilla glass. All others are all negative examples of what really hurt their customers: extremely high prices, proprietary connectors & peripherals (so that they can charge more), nonuser changeable batteries, barriers (legal and/or technical) to repairs by third-party, absence of any SD card slot, etc., all aimed at maximizing profits at the the expense of their customers.

So, buyer beware. I do not buy any Apple product nor feel sorry for Apple or their customers at all.

• The iPhone started the smartphone race. Windows copied the Mac UI back in the days of DOS computers. So you dislike Apple for their business practices. Yeah I don't like things that they do either, but Apple were innovators under Steve Jobs. Innovation is costly, hence the prices. Considering how long Windows has been developed for, it is seriously old fashioned, clunky and tied to the same old DOS core from way back. As an Apple customer I was not hurt by the "extremely high prices, proprietary connectors & peripherals" because I bought into the ecosystem. BTW Total cost of ownership has been less than my Windows colleagues. I admit that my case is special because I work 40-50hrs per week on media creation for broadcast. For my business, I must be proficient with ALL platforms as I freelance at many different post-production companies. I prefer Mac OSX, but I don't really care what brand of hammer I use to crack the nut. I just want the OS to be responsive and reliable. In 30 years of using computers of ALL types, Mac OSX has been the best experience. Each to their own. If Microsoft threw away the current Windows and created a modern OS, I would be throwing my money at them!

• Windows copied the Mac UI back in the days of DOS computers.

It is one issue here, as both copied Xerox PARC developed interface :-) Jobs actually did it much closer.

If Microsoft threw away the current Windows and created a modern OS, I would be throwing my money at them!

I always wonder in that is wrong with OS if you work hard and have tools you need. And no, Windows is not tied to old DOS (yet you can run almost any DOS program from 80s or 90s in it, but it is specially made part of OS).

• Swiped from Parc: The mouse. Removable data storage. Networking. A visual user interface. User friendly graphics software. WYSIWYG printing, with printed documents matching the screen. E-mail.

• Apple have dropped all kinds of connectors and drives previously without much issue, except from Apple haters who say "see... Apple are no good and will die". They have been around almost the same amount of time as Microsoft. I care not for people's criticism as it mostly comes from people who have a biased view and are unwilling to see that their Windows experience has benefitted from Apple being in the marketplace & providing competition and ideas for Microsoft to 'borrow'.

• @caveport

Well, do not see any Apple haters around. I think best OS is one that has best tools and works best for you.

All this Apple fans/hate thing is extremely sick and suitable for 5 years olds. Topic is not about it.

• Also, how was gorilla glass Apple's contribution to anything? Isn't it made by Corning?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Well, do not see any Apple haters around." Hmmm, perhaps some comments in this topic may give you clues.

• @caveport I am reluctant to reply, since your avatar is a single-toothed troll.

Current Windows architecture goes back to 1993 (Windows NT 3.1, which was a fork of IBM OS/2 2.0. IBM's own fork was called OS/2 3.0 as they had rights to the name). DOS ran in a virtual machine, with no bearing on ntoskrnl.exe (also true for daddy OS/2).

On the OS X side, its architecture goes back to 1994 (OpenStep for Mach, from NeXTstep). The Mach microkernel originated at CMU in 1985 (though the Mach 3.0 on which everything still sits on top of was released in 1994). The XNU kernel (the heart of Darwin, so the heart of OS X) shared code with early FreeBSD from the same era (1990's). As FreeBSD is a linear descendant of original UNIX, via Berkeley Software Distribution, it could be argued that somewhere very deep in the belly of OS X there may be a few beard hairs of Dennis Ritchie, from 1976 or so.

I could pile on if you were so inclined.

• @radikalfilm Thanks for the info. I already knew all that due to living through all the changes and owning most of those OS versions. I was a DOS/Windows user for years before owning a Mac. Using Mac OSX after the awful MacOS 7,8,9 versions was a revelation. It is still technically way better than Windows, but nobody really cares about that these days. They both work pretty well these days.

P.S. Windows 3.1 and Windows NT were separate developments. There were other OS products available in the 1990s which were also vying for market share, but none could compete with the marketing weight of the major players.

"I could pile on if you were so inclined." I'm not sure what you mean.

• @caveport there was indeed a Windows NT 3.1, which was Microsoft's next version of OS/2 2.0 server, as they didn't have rights to the name (only IBM did).

So they took this opportunity and rebranded this product in alignment with their desktop OS at the time, Windows 3.1, which was indeed built on top of DOS. Two wholly separate products with no shared code base: OS/2 2.0 -> Windows NT 3.1 -> 3.5 -> 3.51 -> 4.0 Workstation -> 2000 -> XP -> Vista -> 7 -> 8 --> 8.1 -> 10

And Windows 3.1 -> 3.11 WfW -> 95 -> 98 -> 98SE -> Me -> death.

The point I was trying to make is the OS X heritage goes back even further, to the 70's and 80's, but since it's all plumbing one looks at the shiny and doesn't see it. You seemed to be a fanboy and were dumping on the creaky old Windows, so I illuminated the matter. They're all old, but in ways you weren't aware of.

• No, I don't hate Windows. I just wonder why people hate MacOSX. NEVER been a fanboy of Apple. I just think competition in the marketplace is good for OS development.