Personal View site logo
Panasonic moved all force to Full Frame bodies, 8K HDR will be announced in March
  • 10 years later Panasonic will announce a new Full Frame system camera on September 25!

Word on the street is that Panasonic will show a prototype and the final product will be on market during the first half of 2019.

One of the sources testing the camera said this is “as exciting as the Nikon Z7 announcement“. One went even further and said it’s “more exciting“. But of course, they might got carried away with their emotions so let’s keep our feet on ground. A third source said “video performance is superb“.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-will-announce-its-first-full-frame-system-camera-on-september-25/

• 206 Replies sorted by
  • @zsound

Thanks, I added some citation.

• Some internal leaks

• 8K possible (rescaled as people tell)
    • 2160p50/p60 and full 4K cinema p50 and p60
    • 90% it'll use Sony A7S III sensor, but with some changes
    • 10bit internal and HDR for certain
    • Focus on dynamic range
    • Still Depth of Defocus as main push for AF, camera will badly compare to canon FF new offer
    • Internal raw can be special expensive (up to $399 I had been told) license option
    • Engineers tell managers that implementing raw (compressed!) with new LSI they will use is no problem
  • One guy worded it such to me:

"Full frame premium cameras - this is where all margin lives now, so all manufacturers are like lemmings, do not see anything if they smell record margins".

• Ha! He smelled capitalism. Excellent.

• That's pretty interesting - I'm going to guess it won't be in the size of a standard mirrorless body. I can't even imagine how they'd cool the LSI/sensor for recording 8k in something so small.

If the Panasonic is doing 8K with the A7S III sensor, whatever it might be, that would imply some pretty serious upscaling unless Sony goes crazy and makes the A7s III a 32 megapixel monster camera. If they can somehow do so without sacrificing low-light performance (seems like magical thinking), I would be the first in line to buy one.

Anyway, it'll be cool to see the pricing/lens mount for this potential new Panasonic mega-camera.

• Rumors are that leading Japanese companies will use approach similar to Nvidia - their LSI will have special memory chip with trained neural network and big samples database (up to 16-32Gb of NAND). This will be used to make upscaled 8K video. Same tech is now being tested in 8K TVs.

• Curious to see what lens mount if true

• @bannedindv I would think it's the Leica L mount just like the SL. I believe Panasonic is the OEM for the SL anyway so this makes perfect sense that they would start releasing their own branded FF cameras.

• Leica L mount would make minimal sense, given that almost nobody currently has or uses it. Unless they are trying to make a very compact camera, I would expect them to use the EF mount since they already have experience with it on cameras like the EVA1.

Bear in mind that the EVA1 is already 5.7k. It wouldn't be at all surprising to see this camera using the same (or a very similar) body, but with different guts and maybe a couple of red accents to show it's fancy, similar to the GH5/GH5s.

• It's about time! Very interesting to see what's coming from this.

• @bannedindv

I believe it is fight for largest and closest mount.

Some talks are that Panasonic camera will be most thin of them all.

Note also that Panasonic can initially postpone flipping screen and can try to copy Sony in everything, including in making screen tilting up only.

• close mount has its downsides, currently the Sony E-mount can accommodate a electronic VDN in the FS5, any thinner would make that difficult.

• A FF with GX7 design... pure orgasm, please Panni.

• What the hell Panasonic?? Noooo... stick with making awesome MFT cameras!

• Why can’t they do both?

• Exactly. M43 for masses and FF for rich folks.

• Panasonic makes excellent cameras. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their full frame camera. Now that Nikon dropped the ball again this seems like an excellent alternative. They have good ergonomics, excellent battery life, and I am pretty sure it will have stellar video performance as well. Good news I can't wait for this camera to be released!

• Exciting. Surely it must have on-sensor PDAF though. They'd be marginalizing their own product without it.

• Does that mean no more nice lenses for m43?
    I loved mine 75/1.8 I would buy 65-75mm T/1.4 or 150/2.0, long(er) extreme sharp - no coma macro on the first day.

• https://news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/2018/02/en180214-2/en180214-2.html

Panasonic PR in February 2018 already said it has developed an 8K 36MP CMOS sensor... I wasn't sure if what size, but FF makes perfect sense considering they can no longer generate new M43 sales/market share at $1999 or above pricing due to the FF competition

• ""In addition, conventionally, even in scenes where it was necessary to utilize different ND filters [2] according to capturing conditions, the technology realizes a new electronically-controlled variable ND filter function which enables stepless adjustment of the OPF sensitivity [3] merely by controlling the voltage applied to the OPF.""

This would be absolutely outstanding if built in!!!!

• I had been told that Panasonic see current moment as decisive, This is why actually 43rumors sources can suddenly come with such information, actually site can be used blindly. In reality camera could exist as few prototypes, but with informational stunt Panasonic just want to buy more time. Expect that at announcement date it'll told very few information.

This is my personal view on situation.

• The leak as well as the developement announcement comming at Photokina is just set up to make people not jump to Canikon mirrorless.

Product will not be out until summer of 2019 in 9 months I pressume.

• The next Photokina show is in may 2019. Probably no real product until then.

• The leak as well as the developement announcement comming at Photokina is just set up to make people not jump to Canikon mirrorless.

Yes.