Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • @Skomer you can always buy it two months from now if they fix the bugs. There's really no point in paying a higher price to be a beta tester.

• Yes @ncortinhal I think you're right. Actually me (I have a partially paid pre-ordered camera waiting for me in a shop), I'm holding off picking it up as, even with Panasonic acknowledging the issue and saying they're running to fix it, I don't know if I should trust them 100%. It's clear that they are finding more difficulties than expected with IBIS, for instance Dual IS 1 users are expecting a firmware update of 4 lenses left since February (http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-still-didnt-release-the-promised-firmware-update-on-many-lenses-to-enable-dual-is/). If this means they can take (February-November) 8 months and counting for implementing the firmware update to fix the G85 issue, I'm off. They just published an Instagram post, just Lumix USA, so what about all the other delegations?? I mean, does an Instagram post compromise them to do it 100%?? Of course not, the update calendar of the Dual IS 1 firmware was on their website and they're 8 months (& counting) late...

• right, + g7

• BL12 The same as G5, G6 and GH2 if i remember

• what batteries does this camera take?...the same as the GH4?

• Best camera setting will be in another post? Or we will use this one for everything?

• @Isaac_B main thing is weather sealing and CineD. No CineD on x85.

• It's good to see Panasonic doing a "mea culpa", acknowledging the problem and stating to be fixing it, because for them the issue is not the G80/85, it's the affected trust that will influence future sales of the flagship GH5. We saw that all review websites didn't mention the issue until the outcry of the buyers, how many pre-orders will be lost on the GH5 because everyone will be waiting for input from real users?

• Is it correct that the G80 doesn't do 4:2:2 8bit internally?

Yep.

If so, there's very little difference between this and the GX85.

Don't you see similarity between model numbers?

• drop in the ocean.. storm in a tea cup. it's a great camera - they'll fix this with an update and we'll all move on. They'll loose a few customers, literally.

• Is it correct that the G80 doesn't do 4:2:2 8bit internally?

If so, there's very little difference between this and the GX85. Doesn't seem worth upgrading versus waiting for in body 10 bit via GH5. Unless I'm missing some larger features that would make the extra money well spent...

• @CGUser3 - you are right in losing a few customers...

I was going to buy one to tie me over until the GH5 comes out - but no way at the moment, will be waiting now for the FW fix and confirmation it fixes it - and not just turns down the IBIS to make it go away, and in turn makes the IBIS worthless...

• Oh, those young brave and intrepid Spaniards...

• Seen today as an answer to a couple of spanish twitter users when asking for the issue to Panasonic Spain. Same approach, only difference is they say they've been informed from Japan... https://twitter.com/panasonicESP/status/796293491089231872?s=09

• Panasonic lost a few customers with this G85 debacle. Like many, I was on the fence, and the stabilization "stickiness" did not really help their case.

For video work, such stickiness and motion overcompensation, simply rendes the camera useless for any hand held work that requires pans. Of course, one could simply turn off the ibis and use a tripod, but the same can be done with any other camera and the G85 loses its appeal.

Instead of settling, I moved on to Olympus mark II. Never mind the price because it is truly a video-centric digital camera.

• Sure! What's a bit annoying is that only LumixUSA signs the statement... what about UK and all the rest?? I mean: it's 100% reliable that can be fixed just with firmware?? Wouldn't it have much more credit if the statement were done by LumixJapan or LumixChina?

Never try to find logic in Panasonic communications.

For example, Panasonic UK efforts is aimed on small rural cities and personal meetings in few last remained shops. Nothing changed since 80s.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Sure! What's a bit annoying is that only LumixUSA signs the statement... what about UK and all the rest?? I mean: it's 100% reliable that can be fixed just with firmware?? Wouldn't it have much more credit if the statement were done by LumixJapan or LumixChina?

• @Skomer

It is my humorous take on their coming out on Instagram.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Wow! 5 months sounds like ages.... they'd better retire the camera and start working on the G90!! Certainly, as to judge by now, they haven't been serious facing this story.

• @Skomer

“Less than a week ago, Panasonic became aware of some reports that the G85's image stabilization wasn't delivering the same level of smooth performance that the GX85 is while slow panning in video mode. Panasonic is working to solve the issue with a firmware update as soon as we can. Panasonic appreciates all the valuable feedback and always focuses on meeting or exceeding our customers' expectations.”

My version:

After getting from under the stone due to being bombarded by hundreds of emails our communications department looked at this pointless user rants and passed to their Japanese superiors. During very fast process of countless meetings to determine who will be declared as responsible and loose face for this completely fucked up sensor based stabilization performance, we found solution. Totally responsible is the boss secretary as she had access to camera and during her lunch break had chance to make extensive testing and find the issue and tell the boss directly. She will be demoted to toilet cleaner. But we will keep her access to G85 so she could make tests during cleaning of 5th toilet stall. In case if we could not solve issue via firmware update during our usual extremely fast 5 month process she will be demoted further. We did not find this position yet, but we still have 5 months of countless meetings for this.

Sincerely yours, Panasonic.

P.S. If you still did not see Fear and Trembling, fix this :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Actually it seems like they copied the same text and send it to particulars who wrote to Panasonic USA directly....: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58621588

• @Skomer

As I know it is their new form of official communication.

Original idea inside Panasonic was to publish some PR on Monday but things changed.

Issue here is not contents it is Panasonic communications that are broken beyond repair.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev ha!!

@Skomer This is 2016. No reason not to trust this, as long as this is the official panasonic instagram account.