Personal View site logo
Digitale Demenz ( Digital Dementia )
  • 201 Replies sorted by
  • I actually dislike the choice of music for the University of Waterloo video. The soundtrack makes it sound like simple toy ideas. I don't dislike the music 'style' or 'composition', but if this was a presentation about a new chemical, computer system, etc, music would be much more exciting.

The assumption is that drawing pictures is simple to do so not that advanced, when in reality, drawing pictures with your hand and brain is more advanced than any computer system on planet right now. So why not make exciting music?

To chime into the discussion, I think we need to learn 'how' to use the Internet, just like learning 'how' to learn. I am not saying thats easy, in fact it may not be possible. Maybe there are too many dopamine triggers easily accessible on it.

Also there are lots of books that are not 'free on internet'. You still need to pay money and flip pages to gain information.

• Also there are lots of books that are not 'free on internet'. You still need to pay money and flip pages to gain information.

I think it is very bad. Books after author and involved people got like 5x compensation must become public domain and must be available to everyone. If book is selling bad it must go in public domain in 1 year.

• Documentary about Google scanning all the books in the world to put online, then publishers sued to stop it.

Trailer;

full film: ( open in new tab )

http://thevideos.tv/embed-ag0p5hcerx9l-728x410.html

• Documentary about Google scanning all the books in the world to put online

Google never intented to put them fully online. But to make them searchable and present some pages.

• “Your happiness has no price,” Francis explained. “It cannot be bought. It is not an app that you can download on your phones, nor will the latest update bring you freedom and grandeur in love.”

I always love as church (institution of ruling class to help them rule) talk about happiness.

• Hopefully we are at the education equivalent of the Internet before Facebook: everyone thinks it would be cool and useful but no one does it.

We need an education revolution, there are sites like code academy which engage users to learn various computer languages, Kahn academy is also great. If you purchase used university textbooks and follow along there is nothing that is overly complicate or expensive.

Only issue I can see is gaps in learning, but that can be solved by online social learning group. Also a group of learners can encourage each other to succeed, as everyone is in different places there should be little compettition.

What is a problem I see is that people just don't want to own books any more- they can't handle physical books. To heavy. :-/

However I have opposite issue. Solution is push-ups.

But at some level reading, listening, and most importantly trying and failing and re-trying is key to learning. This is something that some people are just not interested in doing. Also education is no guarantee to success, so no wonder already "successful" people use more education resources, they know they are able to do it, they have funds to spend time at potentially useless activity, (not working 5 jobs). Money makes money.

Maybe citizens should be paid for undertaking education? There are many many benefits to education in society, less violence Etc.

• We need an education revolution, there are sites like code academy which engage users to learn various computer languages, Kahn academy is also great.

We just need revolution and education one will follow. :-)

As almost all issues now arise from economics, and idea to solve them using idealistic approach will fail.

• What do you think of SciHub.io ? It's a free repository of scholarly journals that are published in paywalled peer-reviewed journals. SciHub makes them freely available to anyone to foster research. While it is declared illegal, the case they make--that the papers' researchers and peer reviewers do not receive compensation (only the journals) and that much of the science is publicly funded in whole or part and should therefore be free--is fairly compelling to me. I think that the Internet will certainly revolutionize expensive scholarly journals which have now outlived their purpose yet continue to profit handily.

As for books where authors worked to write the book and expect to profit (rather than simply advance their careers and scientific fields as with research) I have a bigger problem with simply throwing these into the public domain at some arbitrary time. (That's far less than the current arbitrary time.) Authorship deserves rewards and creative control that copyright protection affords.

• What do you think of SciHub.io

I think it plays a role of steam release valve. So capitalists can still get their billions and opposition won't be so severe.

Proper solution is destruction of capitalism.

• Book also has good chapter explaining by using science why current films and TV are such as they are today :-)

What do you mean? How are current films? Do you mean emphasis on superhero digital extravaganzas?

• Do you mean emphasis on superhero digital extravaganzas?

Nope, it is more general.

• Top 10 sexiest creative behaviors:

1. Playing sports
    2. Taking a date on a spontaneous road trip
    3. Recording music
    4. Making a clever remark
    5. Writing music
    6. Performing in a band
    7. The taking of artistic photographs
    8. Performing in comedy
    9. Dressing in a unique style
    10. Writing poetry

Top 10 least sexy creative behaviors:

1. Making ad campaigns
    2. Interior decorating
    3. Writing an original computer program
    4. Making websites
    5. Growing and gardening
    6. Presenting scientific or mathematical papers
    7. Exterior decorating
    8. Applying math in an original way to solve a practical problem
    9. The development of scientific experimental designs
    10. Participating in drama production

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/what-forms-of-creativity-turn-you-on/

Netflix in US traffic. Of course, this guys adjusted torrents so they won't look like in reality.

img896.jpg
    800 x 388 - 53K

Huge waste of time.

img962.jpg
    800 x 523 - 49K
  • "Their mental development slowed down to zero long time ago :-)"

How so? Btw, this topic reminds me of Neil Postman but not exactly the same.

• Your quote come from specific post on previous page where it is quite clear that I meant.

Mind is not computer it is very advanced and complex associative machine, so someone spending time playing mobile phones, chatting in social networks, watching usual TV are hurting himself as his mind did not get any useful data. As result - this people degrade if you compare them to ones who fully and properly use advantages provided my information and communication.

Capitalism with only real target being profits does not care about happening things. If you spend hours of your time watching advertisements or paying for special items in Pokémon Go - it is ok for them. Having bunch of idiots and degenerates is very good, as they are very similar and you can save on marketing and quality.

• Thank you.

• The number of children riding bicycles declined by more than 20% between 2000 and 2010 (even as the number of children in this country increased by 3%

According to the National Center for Safe Routes to School’s 2011 report, in 1969, 48 percent of children between 5 to 14 years of age usually walked or bicycled to school. By 2009, that percentage had plummeted to 13 percent.

Less than 2% of Americans cycle daily, and less than 1% achieve 30 minutes of physical activity on any given day.

What is happening here?

Simple. Corporations want your time. Sony, Facebook, Apple, Google, all of them are interested to sell you crap and make you sit before some screen, even if it is small.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - Do you have a link to that report? I'm not finding it on the site. Thanks.

That tracks pretty closely to what I see. In fact, I'm surprised the figure isn't lower. When I was a kid, bikes were ubiquitous--it was just how you got around. Now, I almost never see kids riding bikes (or playing outside for that matter). They don't seem interested in getting around, since they can do so much on their phones. I think a lot of unnecessarily worried and overprotective parents insulated this generation from bikes and a general sense of independence to wander out of earshot from their houses. Social media fed the phenomenon as kids grew older. Sad really.

• Just google first quote sentence, it must be first result.

I think a lot of unnecessarily worried and overprotective parents insulated this generation from bikes and a general sense of independence to wander out of earshot from their houses.

It is certainly not due to parents who suddenly became overprotective. One part of care comes from lower number of children and better education levels (hence much more care for ones you have), other part comes from media and corporations.

• If anyone else is curious, the source of the quote is here: http://www.gluskintownleygroup.com/downloads/The%20US%20Bicycle%20Market%20-%20A%20Trend%20Overview%20Report.pdf

TL:DR - This report gets its figures about bicycle riding from a consumer survey conducted by the National Sporting Goods Association. It's hard to assess the findings since they are only available to NSGA members and it's an opt-in survey where the methodology changed between 2000 and 2010. - That said, this tracks with what I see when I look out the window.

• Teenagers from 12 up to 18 had been asked to spend 8 hours with themselves with one strict requirement - do not use mobile phone, computer, tablet, radio or TV. All else had been allowed. Idea of experiment author had been to understand how much modern children spend on communication and entertainment and how little they know their own inner world. In case of extreme discomfort, tension they had been allowed to stop experiment. On first sign it looks like very small time and all must be ok for most children. Yet results was quite shocking. From 68 teenagers only 3 finished experiment, another 3 had suicidal thoughts, 5 had panic attacks, 27 had direct vegetative symptoms like nausea, sweating, dizziness, hot flushes, abdominal pain. Almost everyone felt a sense of fear and anxiety.

http://www.materinstvo.ru/art/8304

• The results suggest that having many choices for discretionary activities can by itself lead to feelings of time pressure, time deprivation, and a perceived shortage of free time. Reported time pressure and time deprivation were least when subjects thought of activities they have to do and do not enjoy.

http://www.acrwebsite.org/volumes/8794/volumes/v30/NA-30

• Over 500 million people interact daily with Facebook. Yet, whether Facebook use influences subjective well-being over time is unknown. We addressed this issue using experience-sampling, the most reliable method for measuring in-vivo behavior and psychological experience. We text-messaged people five times per day for two-weeks to examine how Facebook use influences the two components of subjective well-being: how people feel moment-to-moment and how satisfied they are with their lives. Our results indicate that Facebook use predicts negative shifts on both of these variables over time. The more people used Facebook at one time point, the worse they felt the next time we text-messaged them; the more they used Facebook over two-weeks, the more their life satisfaction levels declined over time.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0069841#s2

• Americans streamed 431 billion songs in 2016. US streamed more songs per day - 1.2 billion, than the 734 million that were downloaded during the entire year.

More time brain is busy trying to filter out shitty music.