Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • dear @Vesku I still care, and still waiting.

• @rezyserzycia Bit surprised that you do not sharpen with setting -3. But of course it all depends on what lense you use and what look you are after. That said, your results are really great and that's what counts.

In the horror short THE FOLLOWER, I used the Sigma 18-35 for all shots and sharpened quit a bit in post. But it was needed for the look I was after.

By the way, we are currently competing for the video of the week at awardeo.tv. If you like our short, please vote today. Voting is ending at midnight. Thanks so much goo.gl/EUBdjR

• Used the Panny 14-45 lens here at 14mm and f/8. The original footage didnt feel super sharp to me, but maybe Ive been watching too many 4k videos. :)

• Hi there!

A new edit shot with my loved GH3. Same settings as always -5,-5,-3,-3 but no color correction this time. Only grading with FilmConvert Pro. There's also some GoPro and 5DmkII footage. Expose for highligts as always.

GH3 is still alive. Hope you like it!

Comments are welcome

• Got inspired to practice grading and CC. All shots at 60p then slowed to 40% (24p) since I didnt use a tripod or steadycam. Well, except the last show which was slowed to 20%.

• I just started working with a Neway CL76HO-X 7" monitor ordered through Vasiliy's connections. I'll be reviewing it on the GH3 over in a thread on the monitor "page" for those devices. So far ... this is a joy and allows for accurate & confident use of my 35mm FF glass (Nikon mount stuff) on the GH3, both focus and signal controls. I'll be awfully busy over the next two weeks, but over time will have more info up there.

• Uploaded in 1440p as it shows more detail of the original footage.

• Hi guys, I have some footage to show, and also some questions. Ive been using a GH3 since a few weeks, I switched from a G?, and ai am very happy with the results, for some reason i find that the GH3 footage grades better and has better movement rendition, especially in slow motion. But I have a sound issue, with my rode videomic GO the sound is really bad with big hiss from time to time even on the lowest gain. The G6 would not display this issue. Are the GH3 preamps very specific or mine toast? the onboard sound is good otherwise.

And here is some footage I threw together from my stay in Korea so far, shot with samyang glass and modified RJ speed booster :

• Nice looking footage, I like your edit. I have a rode ntg2 mic, and it also has some hiss when plugged right into the gh3. Part of it is the connection (TRS vs XLR, trs impedance is difference and results in more noise), and part of it is the gh3 preamps.

• My first video using the GH3, what do you think?

• Is there a way to use AE LOCK to hold iDynamic constant no matter how the scene brightness changes? I tried in both picture and video modes and AE LOCK just doesnt seem to do anything. I have it set to AE only (not AE/AF), and also have it set to maintain the LOCK setting after the button is released.

Any ideas?

• Been working some with the Neway CL76HO-X I bought through the forum here ... and am very pleased. I've enjoyed my GH3, and the touch-controls on the back screen have been very useful. However, checking focus on it is a joke ... and I do a LOT of work using my Nikon-mount glass on adapters. This is so much better!

And although I've rarely relied on the cam's histogram in toto for exposure (meters still do work and that right well) ... it's been interesting to see that in general the histogram gives a good reading of the spread of signal content as confirmed by false color in the monitor. I'm also testing out ... and so far basically confirming ... that the false color settings are not too bad for starters, but it looks like I'll need to move the 0 and 100 changes in a bit. Still, it's a great tool for verification of setting by the meter, and perhaps to refine things just a bit at times.

Now ... going to have to start actually rigging this thing ... ;-)

Neil

• Promo we did for Best Western hotel using a gh2 and gh3

• Interesting discussions with the Panny staffers that handle the "toy" cameras like GH4 and those outside that section of the Panny booth. A number of the staffers and visitors are, like me, still shooting a GH3. And they have all shot with the 4, and at times borrowed one for specific jobs. We've all learned our ways around the idiosyncrasies of the 3 (skin tones & such) to get decent output for our needs ... with minimalist cost.

However, the difference that a v-log firmware would make for the 4 inspires a fascinating conversation twist ... do we upgrade to the 4 or not? For several, there was a clear answer ... yes.

I'm just looking at perhaps needing to be able to shoot with twin coverage angles ... so had been thinking of simply getting a used 3 though the prices are ridiculously close to the full market price. However, being able to shoot v-log does intrigue me.

Any body else here want to chime in ... would v-log on the HDMI out be of interest?

Neil

• @rNeil Are you asking about v-log on the GH3? Yes, I would absolutely be interested, but only if it was also on the internal recording.

• Not a chance but big +1

• No v-log for the GH3 sadly ... that discussion was about whether for a GH4 with 4k uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 out, would that be enough of an inducement to buy a GH4? For a number of us the answer was quite probably. It's a year before a GH5 would be coming according to Unofficial Sources.

• Wasnt 10 bit 422 always available on the GH4 hdmi? Or was it only available as compressed?

• ISO 12800 in monochrome in very low light, just to see if it can be made usable. Watch in 1440p for best detail due to higher youtube bitrates. I wonder whats up with that youtube preview? Weird.

EDIT: Well it turns out that its actually iso 6400. You cant record at 12800 even though it says 12800 in picture mode. It gets reduced to 6400. I saw the exposure change on the screen when I hit record but didnt think anything of it at the time. Oh well, so now its just crappy iso 6400 video.

• When I use an external monitor with the gh3, recording stops if I turn the monitor off. Is this normal?

• Ive noticed that when in movie mode (on the top dial), and the shooting mode is set to S for auto aperture control, the aperture changes are very noticeable. The aperture just clicks to the next step instead of ramping to it. When the top dial is set to S (photo mode) and video is recorded, the aperture changes are silky smooth with no hard jumps. Anyone else notice this? Just a quirk of the camera?

• Aperture changes with clicks in all Panasonic cameras in S-video-mode. If you use video button in any photo mode camera uses fully automatic exposure for video (P) and exposure changes are generally smooth because camera works more using shutter speed changes. Panasonic cameras can change shutter speed steplessly but not aperture. I cant understand why Panasonic makes so rough aperture control even when they say that their lenses are optimized for video use.

• Thanks @Vesku. I had no idea about this. I also find it very very strange...

• @joethepro you can record video even at the highest iso, you can do it by downloading from PV the wifi control from your browser and then you can set iso while recording through wifi. It's useless footage but never know... :)

• I really like my gh3, very nice complete cam. For some reason I like the colors/how it grades better than the G6 I had before. The body can also handle much more heavy lenses without too much play in the mount...

Some edits from my stay/travels in korea : Shooting sunset with a tokina atx-pro 80-200, using Ex tele mode. Very big equivalent focal lenght ;)

Spending some time in rural Korea with my girlfriend, 20mm panny and samyang glass (non-final version)