Personal View site logo
Canon EOS C300 MK II

PR

Canon has unveiled the EOS C300 Mark II, a new 4K Digital Cinema Camera allowing filmmakers and broadcast producers to realise their creative vision in stunning cinematic detail.

Building on the unprecedented success of the acclaimed EOS C300, the more rugged EOS C300 Mark II features an advanced imaging engine with Dual DIGIC DV5 processors, new professional codecs and outstanding dynamic range, making it the most capable, flexible and accessible Cinema EOS video camera to date.

SUPREME 4K IMAGE QUALITY AND VERSATILITY

With the ability to record 10-bit 4:2:2 files internally at up to 410Mbps in 4K, or 10/12-bit 4:4:4 files in 2K/Full HD, with up to 15 stops of dynamic range, the EOS C300 Mark II provides footage suitable for extensive post-production work, producing crisper images across the full colour spectrum with reduced “colour bleed”. The camera offers professional filmmakers and broadcasters alike the very best image quality, recording 4K in both broadcast (3840 x 2160) and DCI cinematic (4096 x 2160) resolutions.

The EOS C300 Mark II can record high bitrate 4K files internally to dual CFast 2.0™* media, while simultaneously recording 4K RAW files to an external recorder, offering the flexibility and universal appeal for production at the highest quality available today. Additionally, the ability to record 2K/Full HD Proxy files to an internal SD card, at the same time, further streamlines the production workflow process.

The EOS C300 Mark II features an all-new Super35mm CMOS sensor, designed by Canon, with a stunning ISO range of up to ISO 102,400. The new Canon-designed Super 35mm CMOS sensor and an increased ISO range up to ISO 102,400 deliver exceptional low light performance, allowing operators to capture low-noise footage across a variety of challenging environments without compromising on image quality.

To meet the requirements of a diverse range of shooting applications and lighting situations, the EOS C300 Mark II offers both full manual control, ideal for cinematic environments, as well as a variety of automatic modes. These include enhanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF (now covering approximately 80% vertical x 80% horizontal of the image display), Auto White Balance and Face Detection AF, all of which make it easier than ever before for independent news gatherers and documentary filmmakers to shoot on the go without having to worry about settings.

INSTANT INTEGRATION INTO PROFESSIONAL WORKFLOWS

Canon’s new range of XF-AVC H.264 codecs, designed to be compatible with industry standard Non-Linear Edit systems, makes integrating both 4K and 2K/Full HD footage into workflows effortless, while maintaining the highest image quality. The range features XF-AVC intra for 4K, and XF-AVC Long GOP and Proxy options for 2K/Full HD recording, both of which utilise H.264 codec, offering post production flexibility and ease of use. Filmmakers can select the resolution and codec type that best suits their production, with the EOS C300 Mark II capable of shooting at up to 30P in 4K or up to 120P in 2K/Full HD.

The EOS C300 Mark II offers support for a wide range of colour space options, including BT.2020, the Canon Cinema Gamut and DCI-P3. The camera is also the first Cinema EOS model to feature brand new Canon Log2 technology, which enables the 15-stops of dynamic range, significantly wider than previous Cinema EOS cameras. The camera offers new versatility for sound recording too, supporting 4-channel audio recording in 16- or 24-bit and 48 kHz

DESIGNED FOR VERSATILITY

The EOS C300 Mark II boasts the iconic Cinema EOS design DNA – a modular body that can be adapted to suit the needs of each shooter and filming situation, through the extensive range of compatible accessories. Internally, the EOS C300 Mark II also includes built-in electronically controlled glass ND (neutral density) filters, which reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor by up to 10 stops in expansion mode. Compatibility with the RC-V100 remote control and optional Wi-Fi control also enables ease of use in a wider range of locations.

A new modular body allows users to connect the EOS C300 Mark II to a host of professional accessories.
    The camera’s sensor read-out speed is now twice as fast as the original EOS C300, and further reduces rolling shutter distortion, allowing for crisp image capture in a moving environment, making it perfectly suited for capturing action sequences.

Leveraging Canon’s rich heritage in lens design, the EOS C300 Mark II is compatible with more than 90 current EF and EF Cinema lenses allowing operators to use their existing EF mount lenses. In addition, the EOS C300 Mark II comes equipped with Canon Cine servo zoom lens support, delivering one of the most comprehensive selections of lens possibilities for movie and broadcast production available in the market today. For further flexibility, shooters can opt to change the lens mount from the default EF Mount, to EF Mount with Cinema Lock, or to the industry standard PL mount, as a service option.**

• 98 Replies sorted by
  • Hmm... welp, looks like I'll be getting that FS7 after all.

• Only 4K 30P !!!, only 30 p for 15.995$, insane !
    4K = max 30fps
    2k no crop = max 60fps
    2k center scan / double crop = max 120fps
    really dissapointing

• Well at around 11300 its cheaper then c300 when it was released, and it seems that canon has understood that they had to drop the price of there hole rang. If it gets close to 15 stops DR well then they have an awesome camera on there hands, and it will sell, sell, to the market of this price rang of course.

• where did you read 11300 ?? I saw 15.995$

• @GOODYES top of post. ⬆

• As I understand $16000 comes from conversion :-) US price is not announced yet.

• I'm glad I got my FS7 in Nov. I'll have it almost paid off before the C300II even hits the market.

Everything Canon has done here I expected. They won't be price leaders or feature leaders but it will produce a good image and function well and sell really well. Canon is the Apple of cinema cameras in every sense.

• No SDI output? Bummer!

• I think they used something heavy recently

The Canon EOS C300 Mark II Digital Cinema Camera is expected to be available in September 2015 for an estimated retail price of $20,000.00, and will be available with either EF or PL mount

From US PR.

• @peaceonearth I think there is SDI output even with LUTs. If it only did faster frame rates at 4K. Still doing a double take, but Canon prices are ridiculous.

• So Canon have decided that small companies like mine who can't afford to spend £15,000 on one camera have no need for a large sensor 4K camera and we have decided that we have no need for Canon

• Ok well I thought that $11300 was ok for what it is but $20,000 is not going to gain them any friends. So they have a $2500, a $5500, and a $20,000 doller camera. It feels like something is missing.

• $20,000 seems steep. It's going to be 11,299 GBP (ex. VAT) in the UK, according to a number of sources (including CVP).

• @Duncanario same complaints as with first version but despite these rants the C300 became a successful work horse in rental houses.

@tinyrobot no hint in the specs of SDI

• The above video shows 2 3G SDI connectors, to the right of the back.

• @Duncanario Canon's brand value is high, plus this is probably a limited-run camera that will be directed more towards the rental market/kit-obsessed pro videographer types

• I like very much this new iteration of C300 MKII

i thinks the price is right, and the maturity of the systems has become aparent.

Its a very complete system now. I like it more than the sony FS7 which has almost everything right, but the design and ergonomics of this lilltle beast comes much more handy and from my experience, pays off on the production, day by day.

At first i had the AJA XION, then i saw its poor dynamic range and was completely let down, 8 stops usable is stupid at this point in history.

Then sony FS7 came along and well is a good piece of equipment, but on the ergonimics, and quality of materials feels cheap. Even though its sensor and codecs are well implemented.

Now this mother fucker is 15 stops if DR has the right design and brings almost all you need on one camera. Feels solid by looking at it, and lots of matured options from feedback. Lets wait for proper testing on field, and maybe ill be a new owner. 2 of this bastards could be fine.

what i dont understand is about that switchable mount.... i mean... if that is true true and is made the right way, it wont mount on M4/3 by design fron what i saw, but, 3rd party externar PL, F, B4, woah , you name it. it will be fun to see.

Ok panasonic, you know right, we all are waiting for your AF100 MKII. You are the only one i remember is missing to check into the party. I have high hope for this newcomer, lets wait for the best.

• I find the ergos of the C series terrible for anything but DSLR style handheld. The moment you put the C300 on the shoulder it requires a ton of rigging and the EVF and buttons at the back are completely in the wrong spot along with audio being at the top front part of the camera forcing cables to stick out all over. Just not my cup of tea. The FS7 on a shoulder baseplate works on the shoulder and cradled handheld nicely due to having a proper positioned EVF and cables all coming out facing backwards.

• The love for this camera online has me baffled. Do people not see what Sony and Panasonic are offering? Canon is trying to compete with Red and Arri while they completely abandon the market they started.

• "Having tested C100 Mk2 I'd say sensitivity is taken care of. Colors were significantly improved. Rolling shutter is also not an issue any more." http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?130384-Canon-C300-mk-ii&p=1492817&viewfull=1#post1492817

If true, it would at least go some way towards justifying its high cost.

• The 15 stops of dynamic range are explained as a result of the dual digic V processors in the features on Canon's site. Would that mean that there is some sort of dual ISO readout going on as in Magic Lantern and the actual sensor DR is similar to previous Canon sensors?