Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • The video was shot with default settings in shutter-priority mode @ 1/60th. I did not control ev as I wanted to see what the auto defaults looked like (there is some overexposure in parts). I used Single (not Continuous) AF and then locked focus before shooting for most shots. Everything was handheld; the touch-screen focus pull required holding the camera with one hand, so it is less steady. This was the first time I used the camera outside the studio (second time in all).

• @markr041:

Nice video. Did you see the pixelerror on the right bottom corner?

And again the awful noisy onboard sound. This makes me crazy, Samsung pls work on this!

NX1_Museum_pixel.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
  • Not enough people are talking about this cameras amazing slow motion capabilities.

• Also I want to point out something that is amazingly useful if your shooting video on this camera. Go to the menu, select camera, and scroll down till you get to "Framing Mode" and make sure its turned off. Now you will get a proper exposure/shutter preview of what your current settings will record in video without having to go into video standby mode.

• Nice! What is your setting on nebula 4000? Is it on CAF on just manual focus?

• This is a 4K video comparison of the Samsung NX1 and the Panasonic LX100.

The science: The advantages of the Samsung NX1 over the Panasonic LX100 (and GH4) are:

1. The NX1 sensor is larger: APS-C versus m43. More light (and shallower DOF, but that is a taste issue).

2. The NX1 sensor is back-side illuminated: More light.

3. The NX1 samples from the large sensor to get 4K. The LX100 (and GH4) crops the sensor - no sampling. Better color?

4. The NX1 uses a more efficient codec, so there is effectively more information per unit of time; ie, effectively less compression artifacts.

But does any of this matter?

I used the 16-50mm S lens on the NX1, which is equivalent to the lens on the LX100. Both are f2.8 at the long end. I shot so that both lenses were at f2.8, and around 65mm-equivalent. There are four clips from each camera, the first at ISO200, the second at ISO320, the third at ISO1600 and the fourth at ISO3200 (LX100) and ISO5000(NX1). The first shot in each same-ISO sequence is from the LX100. The two cameras were mounted side-by-side, which is why the shot angles are slightly different. Shutter-priority mode at 1/60th, Standard Picture Profiles for each.

The 4K clips were edited in PowerDirector 13 Ultra, which accommodates both H265 (NX1) and H264 (LX100) 4K clips natively on the same timeline. No alteration of the original clips was performed. The video was rendered in XAVC S 4K at 100Mbps.

• FIRMWARE UPDATE: 1.22 Downloading to camera now

Link: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=UNI_UK&CttFileID=5889101&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=N&ModelName=NX1&VPath=FM/201503/20150302181001633/NX1_FW_v1.22_SEC.zip

Seems to supposedly increase low light performance in video. HOPEFULLY it fixes the Audio gain issue.

• I can confirm it fixes the audio gain issue!

• I have to say again how amazing it is that Samsung is updating the camera this quickly.

• @geoffcbassett I think we are just so used to poor hardware support in the past. This is how it should be done by everyone!

• @geoffcbassett

Could you please elaborate on the audio gain issue. Does the new firmware totally eliminate any auto gain? Can you detect the prescence of a limiter at work?

• Anyone confirm the difference in sharpness between 4K DCI and QHD modes?

• I detect none of the hiss that plagued the previous recordings I have made with the camera and seems like the auto gain is gone. Don't have the equipment to do a scientific test, but it is without a doubt much better than it was previously. Set it to minimum and it's very hard for me to get it to peak, and max very easy, so if it is compensating I can't detect it.

• So it is either fixed, or vastly improved.

• @Heradicattor

UHD is very slightly sharper, but unless your are shooting landscapes and zooming in to 100+ percent you won't tell the difference. Go to 3:44 in this video and you'll see it:

• Tested 1.22 out:

Audio issue isn´t fixed. The same noisegate+autogain-shit like before:-(

• @geoffcbassett Thanks... so not fixed. In cimema projection that differente is noticeable :(

• @Angry_C

You say the audio is not fixed. Could you please post a clip that demonstrates the problem, so others can judge for themselves. Thanks.

• Can also confirm that the audio in 1.22 is NOT fixed.

• @heradicattor There is nothing to "fix", it's sharper than a GH4. As for theater projection, it's plenty sharp.

I would know because I WORK at a movie theater and have tested the camera on the screen. I'm the one who runs the projectors, and in the two years that I have worked here I've gotten only 6 films in 4K. Everything, absolutely everything else is 2K.

You and all the other gear heads need to realize that all you need for theater projection is sharp 2K, 4K is still mainly useful as a capture format, not a distribution method for short/feature films.

If you want your "sharp" 4K buy a RED and shoot in RAW 6K and downsample it. Otherwise get over your resolution obsession.

• Here´s a clip I recorded from a TV with low audio level. The NX1 audiosetting was level 4. You can hear the bad noise depending from the audio-input. It´s really unusable.

http://www.levin08.de/bilder/NX1-Audio_Issue_Audio-level-4.mp4