Personal View site logo
Alternatives to Rode Videmic Pro
  • So I'm in the market for a (cheap) shotgun microphone that I will mainly use to record the priest / speaker during wedding ceremonies and for voices of people up close. Actually, I won't use it so much on the camera itself.

The reason why the Rode Videomic Pro comes to mind as a possible canditate, is because of it's +20 DB setting. This gives much better and especially 'cleaner' audio when recording directly to the camera, in this case a GH3 or a G6.

So actually, it doesn't need to be a on-camera-mic but it should be a good sounding shotgun, like the Videomic Pro, with a hot noiseless signal. The +20 DB and the price are the only reasons I'm after the videomic, so maybe you guys know any similary prices alternatives?

There is the Shure VP83(F) lenshopper which is around the same price. Again an on-camera-mic, with a +20 db setting. There is also the 'F' version which has it's own flash recorder built-in, which is very nice but a bit more pricey.

See here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966010-REG/shure_vp83f_condenser_shotgun_mic.html

Any other mics I should consider? I don't want to use lavs and if possible no other mics which require senders / receivers. I would like to use it directly plugged in to the camera so again, a 'hot' signal is required.

If you know anything, let me know. Thanks!

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks igorek.

Anyone has experience with the Rode Videomic GO maybe? And what about connecting a portable recorder directly into the camera, like a Zoom H2N? Would that feed a strong enough signal to the GH3?