Personal View site logo
G6 best video presets
  • 47 Replies sorted by
  • Where would I change the shutter speed? Cannot seem to find it for the video mode...

• From the right shutter dial like always.

• on the right, scroll.

• I'm having same problems that digitalamator said. Shooting with Natural -5 0 0 -5 i have poor quality image, very flat profile, and dificult to grade for me.

• I have been using STD -5 -2 -2 -5 for a while seems ok for now but I need more testing to do. maybe something like -4-2-2-3 would be better with more noise reduction in cam cause we have a new venus engine and it should work better than GH2's NR. I play and try different numbers for now; but I believe we'll find a nice flat setting for many purposes. Love G6 more everyday, very well featured cam, we only need higher bitrates. I hope GH3's dumping and other processes get done soon so we can have a go :-)

• @1dealist make sure you set correct Exposure Mode in Video settings. If set to A, then shutter speed (SS) is disabled.

• @cjdincer What settings did you settle on?

• @Mckinise I am rather confused at the moment. still searching. For last week it was STD 0000 İt was ok. but I'd mostly done time lapses. I think std is good for if you do CC and other stuff in your NLE. For legacy lenses like Canon FDs, Yashica, etc. I usually use std -2-2-1-3. For lumix lenses std -3-3-1-3 or something close to these parameters. all-5 is no good for me gives me hard time in NLE, but some of us use it with success. also winter time sunny days are fewer. when its cloudy, colours seem to look very pastel and faded. well, I am still playing. what is your favourite mode for legacy and lumix or modern lenses?

• I always shoot STD 0,0,0,0. It's a little sharp, but focus peaking works much better than when sharpness is -2 or lower. I also use 1080-60p mp4 mode almost exclusively and it's a tad softer than AVCHD 24p, which makes the stock settings all the more simple to edit.

After quite a few years shooting flat profiles on Canon's I've come to love the color, sharpness and contrast from the G6 at STD 0,0,0,0 It's just too easy this way and takes away a bunch of the stress in editing.

Just my $0.02 in any case.

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer How do you think Standard at 0,0,0,0 compares to Natural at 0,0,0,0?

• @Mckinise, Natural is a bit flatter luma curve and a bit lower saturation level. It also seems to have more of that green/blue tint that I greatly dislike. It's not in every shot, but Standard just seems to hit the colors near perfectly for me. At least what I consider to be perfect. I also like the way skin tones are captured with standard.

I would say that natural is more like the GH2 and G6 Standard is half way from the GH2 to the super contrasty standard picture style with Canon dslr's.

Hope that helps some.

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer It does. Thank you.

Back from testing. Natural is a bit brighter with less contrast. It has a bit more green. Minus the green I preferred it to Standard.

Either way I took both of them down 2 clicks in contrast and saturation. It gives me the color I want while getting a bit closer to the "cinema" look the oldsters seem to like.

• Did someone somwhere mention to disable the iDynamic or to avoid setting it to high? I'd totally recommend that to remove that awful grain from the image. Now I can see why most of you are so excited and I'm looking foreward to testing and comparing the G6 with it's competitors.

• and...what do you whink guys after month of tests ? I think natural -5,-3,-3,-5 on AVCHD with manual FD lenses are very good but still i looking forward for best quality for manual fd and panas lenses and different betwen 24p and 50p in this profiles because when i record something to work i usuly use 24p but when i record my family i use 50p.

• @digitalamator, I personally think at these low bit rates created by the G6, shooting standard with all zero's and vintage lenses is preferred. Flattening your image so much and trying to bring it back in post looks horrible from this cam IMHO.

I know I post these all the time, but these are the type of images you can get when shooting 1080-60p mp4 standard at all zero's with ETC on and off. I can't stand all the AVCHD crap so I avoid it like the plague.

End of story is it's just an amazing image this little thing creates.

Cheers, Pete

• Yea, i know this films.

• Hello guys, I need help (sorry if this is a wrong topic). I need to record lectures and need more then 45 min continuous recording on G6 (that I do not have yet and will buy used only if my idea is working). Is it possible to somehow just replace the EU version camera firmware to non-EU so it would behave like USA bought (ei without restriction) and thus solved the issue for me? Or do you thing it is a HW thing that limits the continusou clip size? (I wd loose the PAL system for NTSC but it is a non issue for me, the distribution will be just via PC and internet) Thank you in advance.

• You need a hack to be able to do that, no hack at the moment sorry. buy a NTSC one, I did so, don't have 29 min. restriction.

• thank you for such a fast reply. so i can not just put NTSC firmware into a EU version camera? Thanks.

• What about iA mode,i think its the best DR but you have control over nothing (not even focus :( )

• Anybody understood how "push to focus" works on the G6? The other thing I don't get to work is the Continous Follow Focus... Like focus on one person and then the camera follows it.

• Hi, I am new here. I am going to be using my G6 at the weekend in black curtained room with a few lights high up on a rig to film somebody dancing. The dancer will move in his wheelchair and on the floor. I will probably supplement the G6 with a couple camcorders, on tripods at the back corners of the room, for wide shots to cut to. I have an old Helios lens (44-2 58mm) and an OLY 45mm 1.8 and a Panasonic 14mm, but will probably use the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 on the G6. I am thinking that 1080 60p mp4 will give me the most options when it comes to editing, as i will need to change the speed quite a lot to give the disabled dancers movements a smoother arc when moving between transitions. What is the simplest way to keep my focus on him as he moves? any other settings advice etc would be much appreciated.