Personal View site logo
Arithmetic, Population and Energy
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • Very good quote used in it:

Moyers: What happens to the idea of the dignity of the human species if population growth continues at its present rate?

Asimov: It will be completely destroyed. I will use what I call my bathroom metaphor. Two people live in an apartment and there are two bathrooms, then both have the freedom of the bathroom. You can go to the bathroom anytime you want, and stay as long as you want, for whatever you need. Everyone believes in the freedom of the bathroom. It should be right there in the Constitution. But if you have 20 people in the apartment and two bathrooms, no matter how much every person believes in the freedom of the bathroom, there is no such thing. You have to set up times for each person, you have to bang at the door, "Aren't you through yet?" and so on.

The same way democracy cannot survive overpopulation. Human dignity cannot survive it. Convenience and decency cannot survive it. As you put more and more people into the world, the value of life not only declines, it disappears. It doesn't matter if someone dies. The more people there are the less one individual matters.

• This is a really insightful, math-based argument. These are concepts that we are all going to have to get our heads around very quickly if we hope to maintain any quality of life in the future.

Thanks for sharing.

• As the philosopher Michael Rowan points out, the inevitabilities of compound growth mean that if last year's predicted global growth rate for 2014 (3.1%) is sustained, even if we miraculously reduced the consumption of raw materials by 90%, we delay the inevitable by just 75 years. Efficiency solves nothing while growth continues.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/27/if-we-cant-change-economic-system-our-number-is-up

• This is a well-written article, especially the last three paragraphs. It is the most important issue of our time, and yet most people even on this site will probably not be interested enough to read it. Thanks for sharing, Vitaliy.

• It is the most important issue of our time, and yet most people even on this site will probably not be interested enough to read it.

You are quite right :-) I think it is natural protection. As if you go back on the blog and read all economic articles and check all videos you'll be quite depressed for long.

• As if you go back on the blog and read all economic articles and check all videos you'll be quite depressed for long.

Indeed. I've wondered for a long time how you mentally handle posting all that.

• I've wondered for a long time how you mentally handle posting all that.

I said few times already - I am just taking position of meerkat who is watching huge machine breaking up. It is fascinating view. Sad but fascinating.

• I am just taking position of meerkat who is watching huge machine breaking up. It is fascinating view. Sad but fascinating.

How do you plan to deal with these problems if/when they come near you?

• How do you plan to deal with these problems if/when they come near you?

1. Place on cemetery bought - checked
    2. Transport to move from home to cemetery present - checked
    3. All that is left is to put white slippers in proper time. You never know the time it'll break up, so always have them in my bag.
  • And yet, when bad situations happen, people like you will have valuable skills needed to survive and build a better future. And before that, to help those who want to prepare and learn about means to live sustainably. Some societies and communities (those already practicing or striving towards more sustainable ways of life) will live through hard times better than others.

• Some societies and communities (those already practicing or striving towards more sustainable ways of life) will live through hard times better than others.

I am not really sure :-) Some smart people have views that system always work according to nature, work same as Indian rats (you can find post here). They thing that people emotions and instincts in grand scale can't be stopped with logic.