Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks @shrigg ...just took it down.

• Good job, Nick.

• i will take one of those analog beasts…that is the one that is working…(those are not repairable)

• I heard that if you attach the GH4 brick to a GH3, it will explode and your family will die after 7 days

• thanks @driftwood and @Vitaliy for bringing the news to our doorsteps =)

• I heard that if you attach the GH4 brick to a GH3, it will explode and your family will die after 7 days

I heard other thing. That if you try to place it below Canon it'll dig big hole and will be fucking it until poor Canon end in agony.

Plus, that old guy from Kenmore Camera will come to your house and kick your dog.

p.s.: how the fuck do you properly quote another post here?

• I don't understand a single Japanese word but the clip is great, still the Gh3 does not look that bad compared to the gh4, the usual marketing these companies do...

• @driftwood Thanks a lot!

BTW: How's the EVF compared to the GH2 and GH3? I was quite disappointed by the smearing corners on the GH3.

• @oscillian Much better. Full review in the near future... :-)

• @ flablo, I hope your family is still Okay

• @ Aria and similar opinions:

There is nothing wrong with the people! Its the manufacturers that went out of their minds...

People live in reality! People Work. People support themselves with work performed on tools that need to be accurate, functional reliable... People know that budgets when down, and that prices of food and fuels went up! People are aware that market is already over saturated with free content made by hobbists, that feels, looks, sounds and smells GREAT already and that is made on toy equipment! People already have HUGEEEE credit debths because of purchases that still didn paid themsepves off, and are not willing to invest more in something that seems like BLACKMAIL again! Remember the big announcments how AF100, EPIC, SCARLET, C300, F700 will CHANGE THE WORLD of filmmaking FOREVER!!!! Well, I am still waiting for these changes honestly...

Manufactureres are not aware of it!

That's why they give you a NEW camera that still takes equal number of humans, amount of labor and waste of resources in order to operate it like OLD cameras!

GH4 demands the same number of pelican cases,big tripods, sturdy rigs, monitors, sound equipment, dedicated assistants, DITs, vans/trucks, energy /power supply, like do RED/SONY/Alexa kits. Well, what kind of advantage and savings is that?! Not to mention fragility of GH4 compered to other cameras in the field work. (Micro ports?!?!?! hahahahhahaha)

You can not play the game with strategies in this biz like you use to: MAke entry level camera for cheap and then when user advances and develops the need for bigger and better, charge them big bucks for expensive gear! That so Betacam SP. That's why SONY is going kaput and selling the real estate in Tokyo cause thy don't realize the NEW NATURE of the GAME.

People are quite aware that you already have sub 1K cameras that shoot RAW, 3-5axi stabilisations in amateur models cameras and toys and many other advanced technologies already functioning in real word! And then major manufacturer invents the old trick yelling "EUREKA!!!" while providing you with last century's technology and still expects you not only to pay a ridicilous price for it, but also to perform a wrangling and juggling workaround in order to make something work that should work in a first palce! I mean looks, its ridicilous that we still debate whether camera can or can not shoot, proper 422, 444, cleand HDMI and such...

You know Why Alexa swiped away competition despite the price?! Because the product just simply-WORKS! Out of the box! You dont need to ask shaman nor a tech guru geeks nor spend days online searching for answer why something that should work acctualy DOESN'T!

That's why GH4 is completely overpriced and uneceery product on the market the way it is now...

• Thanks Nick, that video is the best yet, love the S curve adjustment and in depth features preview.

So in the end the Micro HDMI will output 4:2:2 in 8bit and 10bit without the addition of the YAGH box right?

• @Irmanta What is the price of the overpriced GH4? Oh yeah ... it hasn't even been announced yet....

Amazingly I've been shooting with GH2 and 3 without a single pelican case or assistant. I guess I'll have to think twice about upgrading. OTOH, the $42,000+ savings over buying one of ARRI's "low-priced" offerings would pay for a lot of cases and assistants....

• S Curve adjustments could be very useful. I stupidly used 'iDynamic' on my GH3 while in a very 'dynamic' environment (silhouetted actor against a white window in a shot from a dark hallway) to try and gain a bit of DR and its so noisy that even with post noise reduction it is basically unusable. Using curves in camera for that sort of thing is going to be very very helpful.

• @Irmanta

So... the GH4 is overpriced, and prospective buyers should realize Alexa is the better choice. Okaaay then.

• At this time in the current Market I fail to see why so many are worried about the 4K HDMI output. It would seem to me that the conversion to 1080p 4:4:4 is a good format to get out of a camera so small and affordable. The options for recording are the most of any DSLR I can think of. The different frame rates and picture profiles gives a lot of ability to tailor the image. I think it's gonna be a really great tool or just about anyone to have in their toolbox. I use multiple cameras for their given strengths and I think this camera would simplify my need to carry so many cameras.

• I look at this cam as a near perfect hybrid for eventing, as both video and stills will both rock on this thing. The viewfinder & screen upgrade, peaking, 50% less rolling shutter, 96fps overcrank, 49 point AF, 12fps Raw w/40 shot buffer, 4K for creative re-framing or 4:4:4 downconvert, cinema profiles and custom highlight/shadow/gamma adjustment - the possibilities are nearly endless for tweaking the baked-in image. I've always had good luck recording sound in camera with the GH3, whereas I do not trust my Blackmagic with audio at all. I expect the GH4 will be the same or better even without the YAGGHH. I see this camera as being able to handle 90% of the jobs I shoot, especially if the dynamic range and low light are improved over the GH3. As it stands I still use my GH3's on most projects due to the better file sizes and 100% reliable output. I only dish out the Raw stuff when I shoot something that requires highly flexible grading, which is less often than I originally thought it would be, but still often enough in the fashion type stuff that I will keep it as a premium option in my tool kit.

• People speculating this will be a near perfect hybrid are just as bad as those of us who are being hyper critical of the GH4. I guess time will tell who is right... maybe it will be somewhere in the middle.

• @Irmanta You do have a point. I wonder if we should all go back to Super 8 film? Much better colour reproduction and many other benefits. Or perhaps 16mm or 35mm film where the resources required to shoot, process and get a working print were beyond the average person's means. It's just another modern stills/video camera for those that may need the features Panasonic are offering. I could also be critical of the many 'pro' cameras that produce what I consider to be inferior images. I have to suffer through many hours of inferior footage shot with very expensive professional video cameras that requires unbelievable amounts of work in DaVinci Resolve and other colour correction software to make the final product acceptable for broadcast. Unlike many others here who may be semi-pro or amateur (no disrespect to any of you talented people out there) I spend 40-60 hours per week doing post-production on broadcast programmes. I do my own shooting on a hacked GH2 and get better results than most pro camera operators with VERY expensive equipment.

You said it yourself; Panasonic DO know the NEW NATURE of the GAME. That's why they are bringing out the GH4. No it's not likely to be perfect, but who cares? No camera ever is! If hear one more rant from someone about the Arri Alexa being the be-all and end-all in cameras I'm going to scream! Have YOU ever dealt with fixing Arri footage that someone shot poorly? Believe me, it's no easier than with any other camera. It's just a tool to do a job, either it works for you or it doesn't. What's it going to be like when they RELEASE this camera? World War Three?

Sorry for the rant but I'm sick of the selfish opinionated bullshit that some people spew.

• @JohnTollwannabe I said I thought it was near-perfect for eventing, a job where one is sanctioned to shoot stills and video on the run. I shot some equestrian stuff last fall and see this camera filling in most, if not all of the gaps that I identified while using the GH3. The GH3 was very good, but it would have been nice to also be able to extract 9MP stills from video, shoot 12fps Raw burst for action and 96fps for slow-mo. I'm not aware of any other camera that can come close to the aforementioned features for under $2K. And I don't think it's far-fetched to speculate that the camera is excellent based on the announced specs and hands-on reviews. I do think it's dumb to assume a camera is shit because you personally haven't touched it yet or it lacks some niche feature that "could have" been included in the spec. That perspective seems defeatist and unrealistic.

• @all does anyone know if the rear dial is clickable to enable focus assist ? This is something I miss on the GH3.

• @lenuisible I doubt Panasonic has added a click wheel to the GH4, but FYI with the GH3 you can assign focus assist to a Fn button. I have it assigned to Fn1in my manual lens custom settings.