Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • was it opening day at kenmore camera, or just senior citizen discount day? ;-)

• @touviere7 lol pure excitement combined with laziness to get a second proper one :)

• the more the bit rate the less strain to your processor. So its better less compression. Run smoother

For the same type of compression, decompression CPU load is more or less proportional to the bit rate.

I still don't understand why panasonic abandoned the 19x10.7mm oversize sensor from m4/3, it permitted bigger photosites and better crop factor.

The GH2's oversized multi-aspect-ratio sensor has the same photosite size as the GH3 and GH4.

• @balazer Only tru for 4:3, not for 16:9, 3:2 or 1:1. Those have bigger photosites and better crop faktor.

• AFAIK the GH2's photosites don't get bigger or smaller depending on aspect ratio; the aspect ratio just determines which photosites on the sensor will be used.

• So more photosites for 16:9, 3:2 and 1:1 on GH2 multi aspekt sensor is the correct wording.

• Why no 422?

They got 200mb/s and NO 422.

WTF

• @QuinEtiam

LOL, it is forth circle I think.

• Just not right.

My fking iPhone has 422... this is 2014!

• @QuinEtiam

I am glad for you, may be your iPhone is right camera for your needs, with company of your V700 it'll be real professional duo.

• The iPhone 5s produces some good video in the right conditions.

• @QuinEtiam Best condition for filming with iPhone is to sell that brick and buy some decent camera.

• @MRfanny I'm not seeing that magenta cast, and it's tiresome hearing the same complaint over and over again. http://jonpais.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/first-look-tiffen-nd-filter-kit/

• Just Back From the BVE in London Excel Only really went to see if the GH4 was there and have a quick look at the BMCC4K.

So Got to the Panasonic display and There sitting on the Desk were 2 GH4's with no crowd at all, So Only me and 2 GH4's One with the Brick and One with a Battery Grip and the lumix Rep Nice chap.

After a Chat he was Telling me that Nick Driftwood was down Yesterday having a look at the GH4 and they did a test 4k recording and put the footage on Nicks Mac Pro and it played ok ish he said, I don't know what Mac Book Pro Nick has But I guess it will be a new Mac Book Pro The Lumix Rep spoke very highly of Nick and Vitaily.

The Price of the GH4 will be released on 17th of March I think that's the date he said and any website with a price for the GH4 is total Bollocks and they were the words of the Rep. I did Crash the Camera a few times and it was Battery Out to reset it and was told that in a day or 2 they were updating the firmware on their cameras, but I guess he would say that.

One thing I did find interesting was the HDMI output I asked why a micro HDMI and the Rep said he did not know why they changed it as on an earlier proto type Gh4 it was a mini HDMI.

Will Say the Brick Does look like a 3rd Party add on to me. Once the brick is connected to the bottom of the camera the micro HDMI connector is pushed into the camera HDMI slot and a small thumb screw is tightened up into the camera body, It must have been an after thought. When you see it you will understand. Reminded me of the GH2 3rd Party battery grips.

I Did not take any photos as there are enough photos on the web to look at and I hate looking like a tourist at shows.

• @Craig_R I really enjoy your prose style! Wish I could've been there too!

• There will most certainly be a third party micro hdmi connector for GH4 that is designed based on YAGH's connector with that thumb screw and all.

• @inqb8tr

you are right, that is actually the first third party adaptor for GH4 i see coming out and having massive request by micro HDMI bullshit slut...ehem.. slot.

• Looks like Panasonic has been testing this for a while, shot over at least two seasons… or two different geographic locations with the same species… looks good though if it is the GH4.

• @miko Thanks for the clips. Looks to me like we are going to get a reasonably priced fabulous camera for all our still and moving images. I love that volcano eruption!

• @Miko Wow! That footage is amazing.

I would like to see some people, especially some shots of faces under different lighting conditions.

I have yet to figure out how to get proper in camera skin tone with my GH3. With my GH1s, I was able to get it down somewhat over years and hundreds of interviews.

But thanks for the lovely shots. Keep them coming...

• don't suppose you noticed if the display turns off after a while?

I've been meaning to go to BVE this year but just too busy.

• @miko Nice footage!

@OBgene

don't suppose you noticed if the display turns off after a while?

Somebody has mentioned that currently the OSD info and level marks on GH4 become dimmed after 30sec and totally disappear after another 30sec during video recording.

• Finally! Sample footage looks stunning. I'm impressed.

Based on the image, I don't see this as an amateur cinema camera like, duh, pocket cinema camera. But more as a serious tool for photojournalists and documentary film makers. There will be a lot of use for fiction work, too, I assume.

• @OBgene Sorry I did not check but I will Email the Rep as he gave me his Contact Info to ask any further Questions