Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @kholi I glad to see that you chose the Pocket Camera in your line-up.. My prediction is @ some point I'm thinking this year.. Blackmagic will include a 48fps, or better a 60fps software update on the cameras with limited recording time example 30s - 1 mins something in that ball-park just to make sure the cameras don't overheat even 10 seconds would do it, it's a far assumption right? With the announcement of the GH4 and it's possible low price point, with it's specs it would be smart of BMD to include higher Frame Rates. What do you guy's think of my prediction?

• The main problem is that the stock LUT provided by Blackmagic for transforming the camera's film log to Rec709 is cr*p... and produces muddy and washed out colors. Blackmagic clearly hasn't done its homework here; it's one of the rough edges of the camera.

In the meantime, there are great LUTs available that produce pleasing, rich color out-of-the-box; all above, Tom Majerski's VisionT LUT and the Bonsai LUTs. The problem is that most Blackmagic camera owners don't know them unless they closely follow forums.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

We will have to agree to disagree on Color. Skin etc., this is important at a base level, if it weren't then RED wouldn't get so much flack. It's definitely one of BMD's advantages, from a shooter's perspective and I don't know many people that disagree, even if they don't like the camera.

I don't think they're afraid, I believe they're trying to conserve their way of life. If Panasonic has the capital and team to put out another version of DVCPro (proprietary) I'm pretty sure they'll do that before they bother with ProRes.

Look at Sony and the F55, doesn't' shoot directly to ProRes, STILL, even knowing that this is a primary reason why Alexa holds so much market share even though it isn't 4K etc.

But, in the end, yes, management decisions. It won't be Canon that caves first, Sony's not it, and Panasonic's becoming the NIntendo of modern gaming consoles... stuck in a time loop, five to six years ago. =[

If I had to root for any company, Panasonic is it. I wish they would get it together.

• Hey guys, I would love to get my hands on some sample DNG files from the BMPCC. I've been learning Resolve by grading footage from my GH2 but I've recently started to grade RAW files from the BM cameras (which is a different beast entirely)

I've managed to find some sample DNG files on different forums, but I'm always trying to find more that was shot at different camera settings, different lighting scenarios, etc. It'd be great if you guys could point me in the right direction, thanks!

• We will have to agree to disagree on Color. Skin etc., this is important at a base level, if it weren't then RED wouldn't get so much flack. It's definitely one of BMD's advantages, from a shooter's perspective and I don't know many people that disagree, even if they don't like the camera.

I said in other topic that skin tones are video analog for "involving middle" or "it was so real, like whole orchestra was around me". In other words, quite subjective. Especially in raw (were sensor defines 90% of camera performance). And it also guide many people in wrong way, in audio instead of changing wires and amplifiers you better change headphones or speakers. Same here, it is better to invest in lighting and lenses.

Most people reading such fanfare talks about BM cameras become hugely confused and just dump their money on wrong tool. As they expect results (let's restrict on faces) that are made using good makeup made by professionals, good very high CRI lights and good lenses. Of course cameras are also not bad. And grading is made by professionals. But selling this people idea that if they buy BM cameras suddenly they'll get same results is wrong marketing approach.

• I don't know how to quote, still... hahaha

Just would like to mention that Blackmagic never marketed it as "perfect color" or skin tones... it's the user-base that's pushing these facts very hard. They only market RAW, ProRes, high quality recording, but nothing that I've mentioned about color.

If there are fantasies or there is fanfare, it's from the community, to be fair.

• Speaking of skin tones, I freaking love this camera. Shot all Raw a few weeks back for a BTS model profile and this cam delivered exactly what I wanted for "the look." The highlight recovery and color control is just phenomenal. I was able to dial in exactly how the window light would surround my subject without sacrificing any shadow detail... then lay a little FilmConvert over the intermediate files and voila!!

• @stanlymanly2 "@jonpais dude... just zip it. you make yourself look more nooby the more you talk. The video sample you showed, Yeah black and white with contrast. Thats easy to pull off with any camera thats properly exposed. The bmpcc could pull that off. What you don't understand is the BMPCC is designed for heavy grading to get the look and feel the dp wants. The bmpcc will do that video of yours, with more shadow detail and still can be black and white as dull as you want and as contrasty as you want. 12bit Raw and 10 Bit Prores, waste it on black and white? really?!?!

If you prefer the GH's, go ahead and take them and use them. Don't preach in the forum specifically made for this camera. The bmpcc clearly isn't for you if your vision is black and white with contrasty images. It was made for those who want to manipulate the image to the extreme.

and the greenish colour cast. The gh2 has that burned in unless you do your picture profiles right. In all honesty, some images have too rich blues or too rich greens in the bmpcc footage all over the web plainly because its the first time anyone has had a full ProresHQ 422 or RAW codec to work with that shows so much more colour. Its an overwhelming workflow that you clearly have never done. So don't go preaching about the GH2 or GH1 here. If you're satisfied with what you have, can it and go your own way. leave this forum to those who want to help and showcase their work with the camera. We are USERS here. Not FANBOYS."

I am not your dude, and I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what to do. Nor am I a fanboy of any brand. I merely translated some portions of the review from Focus Numerique and pointed out that BMD has exaggerated the performance of their camera, at least according to the tests. I was asked to provide a sample of what I considered to be a good image and it just so happened to be shot with two Panasonic cameras, neither of which I've never owned or used BTW. And if someone shows me a grainy, green video, I'm not going to lie and say I think it's my ideal. Get off your high horse, man. And if you have any more personal attacks to level at me, please do so through a personal message, thanks!

• @jonpais lol ok. take your moping about the camera somewhere else. this is for the daring ones who know what they want and how to get it out of the camera. don't dish the hate if you can't handle the backlash. pm? why hide now when you were so open about how unpleasing other people's attempt at grading their footage and how it doesn't meet your standards. heck if "correct video" is desaturated or black and white to your standards, why look at videos with colours at all or comment on the camera that produces 12 BITS OF COLOR DEPTH?

so then again, don't dish it out if you can't handle it.

• @jonpais Show us some more of your fine examples. That video you posted looks like sharp video.

• Guys, calm down. Keep discussion level.

• A fair point is that some of the posted BMPCC videos don't look great. But that's indicative of the cam's learning curve. The camera is still new, as skill sets increase and guys load up on more sophisticated color softwares such as Davinci, and more advanced (calibratable) monitors, you'll see better and better footage.

• sorry VK! Its frustrating to see comments from non users who already tarnish the camera's potential just by seeing what they see on the web from regular consumers and not from pros like the kiwi team A Couple of Night Owls or Frank Glencairn.

They're so blinded by their fear of even trying it or understanding it, they decide to just burn the idea before any actual tests or hard research. Theres even a video on vimeo right now showing the difference the 13 stops the BMPCC has vs the 4kBMPC's 12.

its like, why critique if you have no knowledge or experience on the matter? i'd accept doubtful inquiry but just randomly putting it down based on 1 review is just plain wrong and useless to this forum.

• DR is so subjective…

It depends on how much noise you're gonna accept in the shadows. I'm very familiar with the cameras from Red (was doing post on the first Red One footage ever broadcast on German tv) and I can tell you that old Red One was weaker in DR than the BMPCC. Even Scarlet with the newer MX sensor has 10.5 serious stops vs. 10 serious ones from the BMPCC.

• Yes, very frustrating indeed and I'm really tired of the same old crap. I have no idea who that guy is but if he's just going to jump on in to a thread where we're trying to help people with operating this camera and having useful discussions and trash it then he should be held accountable and have to prove his point. Not the other way around. If he doesn't like it and has never touched one, then get the heck out of here. Would I go over to the GH3 thread, trash the camera, argue with people and put up a horrible example of what I "think" is great cinematography which goes against the whole style of image and picture many of us and clients enjoy from these cameras? No, because that would be asinine. I've never touched one so I stay away from there. I did post a couple times about the Bolex but I wasn't arguing with people. Just said it wasn't for me and moved on.

And to end, that video posted looks like crap IMO. It's so sharp and his skin looks like plastic. If someone want's that, fine, we'll stick with the stuff that more resembles film.

• @vicharris

How about to not post emotions and going personal? If you do not agree, do not agree about points and video, not go against people.

• Hi Guys I need a mic for BMPC just for reference. Do you know if Rode Videomic Go works on BMPC?

• @Askel I have the old Video mic (not the pro or the go) and it works great but the pre-amps are so low you really have to boost the audio allot in post. But for reference it works just fine so I don't see why the go wouldn't.

• If you want acceptable sound you'll need a mic with pre-amp, like the Røde Video Mic Pro. Or get the iRig Pre, change the connections and use it as a pre-amp.

• @No_SuRReNDeR I just tried it but man you can't hear Sh##. The sound is so low that the camera mic is better for the sync.

• @Askel Yeah That's what I mean "it works" but the preamps are shit. You have to add at least 12db in post if you use it for that. I think any mic you use needs that 12db boost(like the Pro)

I kinda wonder if this is also something they could "improve" in firmware or if its just a hardware limitation.

• Do you need a reference mic on this? what's wrong with the built in?

• It's a hardware limitation. The only improvements they should be able to do is a meter and a flatter frequency response curve.

• Audio is quite bad on BM cameras, you can check Robert Rozak videos to see frequency response and other stuff.

• I really like ProRes after Resolve grading, it looks so good as RAW, but ProRes not sharp as RAW. I'd like to know what exactly sharpening setting I need set on ProRes footage at Resolve to get very close level of sharpness as RAW looks. It can help save lot of space, since I have only one 64GB/95MB Sandisk SDXC for RAW, and about 6 64GB/45MB. That can help cut together ProRes and RAW at same sequence too.