Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • At long last, Panasonic has announced an upgrade to the AF100. While the GH4's 4K resolution is attracting the most media attention, it's the pro features that set this camera apart from the rest of Panasonic's G-series DSLR's::

NTSC

1920×1080, 59.94p, 200Mbps(ALL-Intra)/100Mbps(IPB)/50Mbps(IPB), LPCM

1920×1080, 29.97p, 200Mbps(ALL-Intra)/100Mbps(IPB)/50Mbps(IPB), LPCM

PAL

1920×1080, 50.00p, 200Mbps(ALL-Intra)/100Mbps(IPB)/50Mbps(IPB), LPCM

1920×1080, 25.00p, 200Mbps(ALL-Intra)/100Mbps(IPB)/50Mbps(IPB), LPCM

Cinema

1920×1080, 24.00p, 200Mbps(ALL-Intra)/100Mbps(IPB)/50Mbps(IPB), LPCM

Video

4:2:2 color - 10-bit precision in external streaming mode

Selectable full-range/broadcast-safe luminance range

Selectable Cinema gamma curves and pedestal black-level

Variable frame rates up to 96fps slow-motion

Full-size HDMI and BNC connectors on base unit

Audio

Powered full-size XLR connectors on base unit

Physical audio source, level, and VU controls on base unit

Synchronized 16-bit LPCM audio encoding

Pro Features

Focus peaking and zebras

SMPTE time code with external sync via base unit

Color bars and audio reference tone output

Built-in wireless control via iPad/smartphone

Weather and splash proof magnesium frame

The only significant feature I see lacking is the AF100's built-in ND filters, which no one would expect in a DSLR camera anyway. Good job Panasonic!

• @karl

Not my opinion or statement ... it's one from one of the Panny reps explaining the feature of the camera. Stating that all bodies have that ability. Go argue with Panny ... I don't know at all, just had commented on what the Panny rep said in the video. And we'll all have to wait and see what the heck he meant, as I haven't a clue either.

• Like the pro features, was certainly hoping for 24 bit pcm. 16 bit pcm meh. Don't like the "Yuk"atan video, maybe they overdid the polarizing filter but there is something a little teaky about the color and the moiree on the parrot, along with the stairstepping, well, I will wait and see. It doesn't pop off the screen to me like the Sony but it has tons of great features.

• That's it...I'm getting one. It got @LPowell's blessings...I'm in.

• I'd assumed that 720p would surpass the 1080's 96fps, but I've seen no mention of 720 overcranking at all. What am I missing?

• 96fps max in all modes

• @Ian_T lol.. I'm in as well 10bit 422 did it for me with that GH look that we all Love Done Deal. Now the question is how much for the body?

• @LPowell Yep it will be a Beast..

• The only negative thing with this announcement is that my gh3 seems quite boring now :)

Unfortunately I think I have to pay off some creditcards before putting in an order for the gh4, but down the line, I am definitely getting one! (and I also need to save for that blasted Nocticron which is likely going to cost more than the gh4...ah well...)

• 12360156614_3e3da0af82_b.jpg
    1000 x 749 - 145K
    12359880823_dc850d64b8_b.jpg
    1024 x 767 - 141K
    12373377183_863aa1b658_b.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 275K
    12373360613_e99cde174c_b.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 260K
    12292226714_c51a5bfc66_b.jpg
    774 x 1024 - 234K
  • I would be so happy to read about the GH4 to come, just if there wasn't again this idiotic 30min limit!

I'm annoyed by that crap and simply don't understand why don't they offer a 5% more expensive variant without the time limitation for every camera model here in Europe.

I will just never buy a time-limited camera, as I need long recordings. Vitsliy saved me with GH1 and GH2 hacks.

I personally don't care for 4k. So I will wait for hack, or for GH5 without limit. I didn't buy the GH3 for the same reason

• There are some very interesting features for the professional video maker tucked away in this cam. Cine curves, video levels 0-255 16-235 -16-255. Master pedestal (black) level control. Fast (40fps) stills burst mode using electronic shutter. Synchro-scan. Shutter speed displayed as shutter angle. Automatic down convert from 4k to HD on HDMI out. External mic in. Headphone out. Remote in. Overwrite protection for clips. Full timecode support with record run/free run.

You can argue about 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0, 8/10 bit etc. But this camera already out spec's most of the Sony professional video cameras (with a few exceptions of course) and allows videographers a whole new post production pipeline with FCP X 4k support and new MacPro's optimised for 4k available soon.

I've been doing post production for 35+ years and this is the first time I have been this impressed with an affordable camera that slots into a professional workflow without many compromises.

Yes it has limitations. No it won't suit everyone's needs. Yes it's easy to complain that it's not RAW etc. The guys I know who have Blackmagic Pocket cams are ALL talking about selling them and buying this because the BMPCC is not an easy camera to use in a non-controlled environment.

I will buy one when it becomes available and I will live with it's terrible deficiencies!!!

• @tetakpatak There is no 30 minute limit if you buy a USA cam, just bring your surfboard and jammies to California, catch some rays, and take the cam home.

• Probably nice down there ... we've got a foot of snow here in Oregon's Willamette Valley (that's 1/3rd meter) ... we don't get snow every winter here on the valley floor. We may get some in a winter, but not THIS much at one time very often. So coming from Europe right now, you probably want to skip the east coast, the middle/midwest (they're a LOT colder than we are!) and go right to southern California ... :)

• @caveport

We have same link few pages back :-)

• manstok 6:06AM I understand the use of 4k to help stabilize footage, but (and isn't this a huge but?), just a small amount of motion blur ruins this whole concept. With the 5 axis ibis the footage is stablilized before such blur can actually happen...

Dead right. It only takes one frame of motion blur to ruin a whole post stabilised clip, that's how most post stabilisers work, so the processing and subsequent cropping of the 4k footage is not as useful as it seems. You can remove that frame before processing, but usually there is more than one.

• I think they're basically forcing you to get an external recorder for 4k video. 100 Mbps isn't enough and you also cannot record 10 bit video onto the in-camera SD cards. Panasonic definitely pulled a Canon.

You absolutely want 10 bit 4:2:2 or higher with 4k. It would also be nice if it met Rec. 2020 color gamut specs. because that's the new broadcast standard for 4k and 8k. But then again, they wouldn't get you to buy the shiny new model in a year if they did that with the GH4. :)

• You absolutely want 10 bit 4:2:2 or higher with 4k.

I think it is ill logic. Looking at Sony and Panasonic it seems that they realize that today wedding and other small video guys represent biggest part of such cameras buyers. Most of them do not have time, budgets and storage for grading and raw/prores.

• The GH4 has good specs...I cant get past the ugly ergonomics with the add on...reminds me of this!

Mega_Drive_II_(PAL)_+_Sega_CD_II_(US_NTSC)_+_32X_(PAL).jpg
    836 x 700 - 106K
  • As far as pricing goes : I can tell you that the 1499 euro posted here for the body is from a portal site that apparently has an absurd exchange rate for euros. If you follow the link to the cyberphoto site that actually has it posted they price it at 14995 Swedish crowns which is a long way from 1499 euros. 1499 euros= 13245 Swedish crowns. Not close to 14995 crowns. 14995 crowns is a none too light $2305 dollars

• @vitaliy_kiselev 100% agree.

today wedding and other small video guys represent biggest part of such cameras buyers. Most of them do not have time, budgets and storage for grading and raw/prores.

And we saw a lot of amazing work with GH3 once used by pro guys. Same with GH2 despite of its limits.

@lpowell showed the new AF100 specs that are very similar to GH4 except for included XLRs. Pans will never cannibalize its pro range.

Now the questions are:

If on GH3 72mbps were not enough for 1080 All-I how it's possible to have a good clip from a 4K 100mbps?

Why overall bitrate for 1080p is twice than 4K? Is there some limit on the internal 4k pipeline?

• Whatever the price is, it will go down. How fast is anyone's guess, but it will go down. BTW can't wait to see the Samsung Note 3 resolution comparison.

• @LongJohnSilver, isn't the 100mbps in IPB mode, which is the best mode on the GH3 and pretty efficient? I think the footage they showed looks GREAT!!! People are being too hard on the promo videos. You can't worry about the exact look of those videos when you all know full well that you can create your own look anyway. The DR, detail and smoothness is all there. This is gonna be a great camera for Prosumers and Pros alike. There's been a lot of complaining and dissing of the GH4 which IMO lacks any real validity. The GH platform is already proven and this is the best version yet. What's to really complain about for this price range???

• If on GH3 72mbps were not enough for 1080 All-I how it's possible to have a good clip from a 4K 100mbps?

You mix everything here.

First. You comparing I frame with IPB mode, 100Mbps IPB is much more efficient.

Second. The higher the resolution and framerate - the more efficient is prediction. This is one of the reasons why 1080p60 does not need double the bitrate compared to 1080p30.