Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Come on, let's go – I went for batch just a few minutes ago.

• unfortunately I don't run Windows, even not in Bootcamp and I don't have plans to change it.

• RAW 2 CF RAW versus Resolve Lite: The latter is free and reads in natively BMPCC RAW folders as clips, complete with synched audio. You immediately see them as videos. You can use buit-in LUTS to color them immediately, or select your own. You can then either make a video from them with the best colorist tools in the business or output intermediate codecs such as Pro Res 444. I do not see the need for a program to convert BMPCC RAW files to Cineform raw and then import them into a software program. What am I missing?

I have used Resolve Lite with BMPCC RAW, and once you learn it, it makes working with RAW as easy as working with any other video.

• What am I missing?

Conversion to Cineform Raw gives you much smaller files, but which retain all or nearly all the original RAW data. So these become your originals, and are much easier to handle and edit in any number of NLEs, whatever your sequence of editing and color correction may be.

The alternative is remaining in Resolve and probably not getting full playback capabilities and accepting its NLE limitations, or creating multiple versions, proxies to edit outside Resovle with the need to retain and conform originals for the grade. For long projects with high shooting ratios, this becomes quite a management task, and with huge storage requirements.

• Blackmagic Camera v1.5.1 has just been released.

This is just a quick update to address an issue with the weird motion blur observed when shooting at 180º shutter angle in 23.98 and 24 fps on the Pocket Cinema Camera.

• @markr041 I cannot properly run Resolve light on my current computer and will first have to invest in a new one... for me this seems to be a way to postpone this investment a bit.... Does anyone have experience with the minimum PC configuration needed? For example a specific (windows) standard laptop Resolve properly works on? So far I have not been very successful in getting it to work.....

• I just joined the club as my BMPC arrived today. Did some first tests with RAW and Resolve light, on my system (Windows 7, Intel i7 with NVidia GTX570 and 12GB RAM, standard 7200rpm harddisk, no raid) I get realtime playback (24fps) without stutter, even with some nodes and LUT's applied. Very happy!! Downloaded Captain Hooks LUT, works a treat. Will donate for shure at his site! Exporting to H264 runs at 13fps, also not to bad.

• @captainhook Thanks, I am aware of this but I just would like/prefer to buy a standard "cheap" laptop (in Europe) which is able to properly run the software and connect this laptop to my Dell U2711 as a second monitor, I am not a professional so it is just an expensive hobby.... So if people have it running on standard laptops I would very much like to know which type and not bother any further with requirements...

• whoever is interested in the kickstarter should check out raw2gpcf from the magiclantern forums. its free and has the same basic functionality. To convert raw video to cineform raw.

• @fatpig - does that work with cDNG's or just the MLRaw files?

• BMPCC RAW low-light video: Shopping in Grand Central Terminal

Shot using RAWdng, graded and rendered in DaVinci Resolve Lite. 108030p, 180 degree shutter.

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens (non-IS, as is evident in a few shots).

Grand Central Terminal is very dark. Worse, it has many small areas of bright light - sun-lit windows (during the day) and small, bright backlit signs. Almost any view will have bright parts and very dark parts. It is a real challenge for dynamic range. The last scene in the video is the biggest challenge - a dark room with large bright white lit signs in the background.

The Vimeo version, from where you can download the 35Mbps .mov file (h264), with uncompressed audio:

The Youtube version:

I uploaded a 235Mbps video to Youtube (as it has no GB limit), so the original here is of higher quality. Select 1080p.

• @markr041 How do you feel about the update? Did it properly fix the 24fps-180˚ss dilemma?

• @OzNimbus Epic man... soooo true this should go viral in my opinion.

• @OzNimbus Epic man... soooo true this should go viral in my opinion.

before they should fix the typo at 0:33 ;-)

• Have jumped right into full production mode with 2 bmpcc, canon xf100 and a gopro on an exciting doco im filming.

Some very challenging situations with full daylight outside and just a small oil lamp inside dark interiors. Am amazed at the dynamic range of the bmpcc.

A collection of some clips from the first day and a half of filming. Lots more to come.

• @CaptainHook: Currently I am not sure. But the thread starter (thread is over at ML Forums) works for GoPro and is very quick in adding new features to the software. If it is not already included, He might just add the capability, as it is a very basic function to add. Try him. He's great! :)

• @nosh Lot of beautiful shots here. So much nice detail...colors great too. Was this in Raw or Prores...also curious what lens you used? Doc looks interesting. Where is this?

Great stuff - rock on.

• Shot this on two different anamorphics/taking lenses. Workflow: RAW/Film Convert/Da Vinci Resolve. Really enjoying working with this camera.

• Thanks @matt_gh2. This was shot in south of India and all prores. The RAW update only came out after I had already shot the footage. Have used the panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 for most of the shots and a voigtlander 25mm .95 for a few select shots.

• @OzNimbus great shots and great message too. Could be easy adapted to film making /editing business

• Found a great monitor in 5.6" for the BMPCC which works well, it is on the deals here as "New, metal case, 5.6" monitor, 1280x800 resolution".

It's 227,- € new on Ebay here in Germany with very fast delivery and full accessories, but you should check the offers here first.

The Seetec 5.6" in plastic is lighter and a bit cheaper, but it doesn't work, it only accepts input signals in 50 or 60 Hz (progressive or interlaced), but not 23.98 to 30 Hz. So, it works fine with a GH2 or even a Red Scarlet, but not with the BMPCC.

• @nosh jajaj the baba with sun glasses counting money. Soundtrack doesn't quite mix in my head and sometimes images are too sharp, my personal opinion. Very nice colours, 1'36'' just superb =)

@OzNimbus I'm making you my new messiah jajaja. So great fun buddy XD
    BTW those embed speakers look nice on your studio walls

• Holiday RAW BMPCC Video, edited and graded in Resolve Lite, with sound:

108030p, ISO800, 180 shutter, Lumix 14-42mm IS lens.

• The Tilta MBPC cage arrived today. First impressions. Great cage. Well thought out. The package included a HDMI lock, which I don't recall seeing in the listing. Sweet! The build is super solid. The quick release on the riser is well made and easy to operate. The handle in front of the bmpc is nice with the wood wrapping around. The top handle also has some nice wood accents which will help hold a hand grip. One note on the top handle, I wish it had a quick release. If only for storage purposes. Also wish the HDMI lock was on a quick release, but it's a small price to pay.

I don't know how much the kit with the bmpc weighs. I weighed it on my scale and it didn't even register!! I put on the matte box, FF, Small HD DP4, tilta vmount and 1800mha battery. That weighed 7 pounds.

"There is a camera in there" pics and unboxing video to follow.